PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Franklin on Realignment

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ben Franklin on Realignment

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:26 pm

To quote the quintessential American, Benjamin Franklin, "we must all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately"

I am struck by all the post on the many Boards on how everyone, including us, feels deserving and entitled to gain in the game of conference realignment. Whether we want a better Mid-Major Conference, TCU campaigns for BCS status or BCS schools fight for revenue, while the balance tries to control costs; self-interest has been the guidepost.

This attitude, if not confronted now by the majority who seek a more rational or, at least, a bit more equitable model, will further accelerate the creation of a caste system of have's and have not's.

If TCU fails to internalize that their best long term interest is leading or following the more rational, regional approach into the future, they will be on the out's when their position with the limitations of being a private school handicaps them against state schools.

Second, schools like ours do not and will not have long term entitlement to success. We have to constantly work at it. Except for two dozen large BCS schools, sustaining periodic success is the hardest part.

So Ben, your advice needs to be heard by everyone, especially the non-BCS and BCS wantabees. If the BCS cartel gets it's way, we will all be locked into a permanent condition that no one can reasonably assume to get out.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ben Franklin on Realignment

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:36 pm

I am afraid that you may be just a little to late on your thoughts, although I agree.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:40 pm

That is where regionalization with sense must be done, I agree. However, while we are not entitled to probably move up in my view, we certainly are not deserving of a downward movement either. We cannot afford to be downgraded to a conference with no historical opponants and no way to generate fan interest. On the other hand the status quo from a cost and fan interest standpoint is also not acceptable. As I've said numerous times before, if we can somehow get either into a SWCII with La. Tech, Tulsa, Rice, TCU, UH, Tulane and UTEP or a larger WAC east pool to reduce travel by adding UH, TCU, Tulane, USM or Memphis, you will have a good situation. I have to believe that Copeland and Turner are trying to call in whatever chits they have. Copeland probably knows exactly what the BE and ACC are up to. Turner, the SEC. Knowing their plans will help SMU see what the trickle down effect is and allow it to know what direction to schmooze.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangKurt20 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:32 pm

lol...Well Thomas Jefferson said " if ever there should be a time where a state or group of states wish to separate from the Union, I say let us separate. For the greater power of our government lies within the state's right of self determination." As a native Virginian and states' righter, what do you think the national perception of Jefferson would be had he taken up arms for the Confederacy? just an interesting political science question. ( its my major) Image

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Return to Football