PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Most dissapointing loss post DP??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

POLL: Most dissapointing loss post DP??

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:57 pm

The loss in Cave-Ins second season to Ole Miss with that 4th quarter melt-down.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: POLL: Most dissapointing loss post DP??

Postby SmooPower » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:10 pm

Yeah, that or the throttling TCU gave us in 2000 would have to be the worst game I have attended.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:12 pm

I left in 3rd with a 24 pt lead or something and went to the TCU night game, by the time we got there we had lost.

Cavan 'threw' the ball and went 3 and out several times, plus the Punt returned for a TD, and we gave that game away.

That SUCKED.

But I could also mention Flanigans' first year where we lost to Tulane on a missed FG in the first game at Ownby.

Or howabout beating eventual Big10 Champ Wisc. and losing late (where Alvarez said SMU was the hardest game they played all year).

Or the Top20 NCState game where we had them beat only to let a 70+ yard play win it at the end.

Or the year we went 5-6 and had 3 losses (or 3 that we could have won) on the LAST play (Utah - three shots at the end zone, BYU- 3 shots to win it at the goal line, settled for FG to go to OT, and one other) in Sander's Soph year.

Or howabout this one: TCU 0-10 and SMU 6-4 with a shot to go to a Bowl...

CAVAN benches DONTE WOMACK for being at a girls dowm after curfew, refuses to play him, and our other tailback had severely sprained ankle, cannot play. AND - to top it off - He plays SANDERS instead of FLANNIGAN (when you need mobility since you have no RB) - and we lose by 2pts.

SMU goes down, TCU rises to TOP15 status within 2 years.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby SMUFan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:27 pm

That loss to the 0-10 TCU team in 1997 killed me. I actually met the Liberty Bowl rep on the way into the stadium - he said if SMU had won, they were going to invite us.

So depressing - that drive home from FW seemed like it took hours.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:02 pm

The two worst were the TCU game already mentioned and that Ol Miss game - I was speechless for hours after seeing us blow a 24 point lead in one quarter. I could have come up with a way to win that game - and I know nothing about coaching.
gostangs

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:36 pm

The Baylor game ('91?) when they didn't attempt a forward pass.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Houston Pony » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:42 pm

The TCU game in 1997 is up there, as is the Ole Miss debacle.
But another one to remember was the 1996 Parent's Weekend game against Mizzou at the Cotton Bowl. I think we had 2 extra points blocked and returned for 2 pt conversions, and we lost by like a point or two.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:54 pm

Add me to the '97 loss to the Horned Frogs. Plus, it was on TV! Ugh! I cried in my beer all night long here in Houston. Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Dooby » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:59 pm

The loss to the 0-10 TCU team in 1997. By far. The Independence Bowl officials were there with the invite in hand. And Cavan didn't have the players prepared.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:09 pm

Has to be the 97 loss to your school, FrogSnob. Win, and we were bowling.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby 91Stang » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:16 pm

I've got two: I drove with my fraternity brothers to Houston when UH put up 95 points. I can still hear that damn siren.

And a loss to Baylor (1989 or 1991). Anyway, BU ran the ball all day, and then with less than a minute left, threw an option pass on a fake punt into the end zone when they already were up by about 40 points. It was a miracle that Coach Gregg didn't kill Grant Teaff at midfield when BU's classless coach went to shake Coach Gregg's hand. It sure looked like he wanted to whip him at midfield. I think assistant coaches and players held him back. And somehow Teaff is still revered as a "good guy" - even though he takes huge team, mauls a bunch of undersized SMU players into submission and then pulls something like that. He said something after the game about "practicing it in case we need it later in the season" or something like that. I hope his family is around when I need to practice my uppercut, in case I get in a fight one day. And now he's the pitchman for some organization involving student-athletes - I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near that man, because I'd be afraid they might learn something from him. He never had any class, and never will.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby Southland » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:31 pm

Most disappointing loss post DP...

... the dignity and reputation of our football program
Southland
Varsity

Postby MGB » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:40 pm

One loss and one tie:

1994 21-21 tie vs. A&M at the Alamodome. Flannigan gave us a chance when he drove us down into FG range with under a minute to go and we missed the FG to win it. A&M finished undefeated that year, but they were on probation so no SWC championship or Bowl for them, but they were still ranked top 10 by the one poll that includes teams on probation

1995 20-17 Loss to A&M at Kyle Field. We scored a TD with under 2 minutes to go up by 17-13. A&M comes back to score on the last play on a TD pass to Albert Connell after a phantom pass interference call. . .

Man, I hate those f'n aggies
MGB

Postby No Quarter » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:01 pm

The oft mentioned TCU game where Cavan did not play Flannigan was the worst loss. Yeah, it was on TV, so I got to see it. Knocked SMU out a bowl and, ultimately IMO, Cavan out of a job.

And the most heartbreaking loss was the game against UCLA where a tired Flannigan almost pulled it off. Saw the last of that one in the bar at a hotel in LA.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:13 pm

*Sigh* And those were the good old days...
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football