PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulane Game Preview is up!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulane Game Preview is up!

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:12 pm

Just click on the link under check it out!

Re: Tulane Game Preview is up!

Postby smudad » Wed Sep 20, 2000 3:41 pm

Does it make sense that if SMU wants to keep Tulane from a quick start, that if we win the toss this week we elect to take the ball?
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2000 3:48 pm

What a novel idea Smudad. I think Cavan outsmarted himself on that decision. The field position arguement doesnt ring with me, because it is doubtful we would have stopped them 3 and out in any case. To allow myself a Monday Morning QB comment, our best chance was a bend but dont break defense that made them work for it. I remember this being the strategy in the early 90s when we were outmatched. I think it might be a good strategy for Tulane too. The Cowboys sure proved it could work against the Skins.

Postby jettison » Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:06 pm

Bend but not break... stangster, have you been listening to the ticket?

No matter, I heard them describing cowboys defense against the redskins game, and thought, yes, this might be a novel idea.

One thing that would surely help is that we do not bobble the balls on kickoffs and step back into the endzone, causing a safety and completely shifting ALL the momentum to Tulane. Whew, that made a trip to New Orleans very unenjoyable, which until last year I thought was an impossible task.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Sep 20, 2000 6:50 pm

Good preview, as always! Thanks for the hard work, guys!
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Sep 21, 2000 8:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smudad:
<B>Does it make sense that if SMU wants to keep Tulane from a quick start, that if we win the toss this week we elect to take the ball? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cavan was asked that question today at the lunch (Coach's Timeout). He thought about it for a few seconds and then said that usually they like to have the ball first in the second half, but based upon the last two games, he thinks that starting out first with the ball in the first half would be a really good move (I hope this idea crossed his mind before today). Therefore, if we win the toss, we will receive!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football