PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CUSA BEast Merger

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CUSA BEast Merger

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:38 pm

Supposedly:

The North side would be:
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Boston College
Syracuse
Temple
Rutgers
Louisville
Cincinnati

South side would be:
SMiss
TCU
S.Florida
UAB
Memphis
ECarolina
Tulane
Houston

Also, another rumour, is:

MISSOU to Big10,
BYU, CU to Pac10,
TCU and another to the BigXII
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: CUSA BEast Merger

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:52 pm

from how the c-usa conference call may have went this morning - this may not be far from reality or a portion of it...hopefully not...LET'S JUST GET THE LAWSUIT GOING & SETTLE THIS THING ONCE & FOR ALL!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:53 pm

If this is the case, our time as a Div 1 school is just about over.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stampede » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:05 pm

Just got this from the TCU board ....nothign new and is jsut someone's speculation. Nice try FrogSnob!!!
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby fan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:08 pm

Unfortunately, this looks pretty solid. The north and south have a playoff for the BCS bid. Ouch.
fan
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:20 pm

I hate to agree with 'fan' who is probably a flamer (in the internet sense that is), but I'm afraid it could have legs. On the surface one would dismiss it as completely unbalanced competively and why would the Big East schools agree to such a setup that exposes their BCS bid to the southern group? The answer is they are already exposed anyway and going from 6 to only 8 or 9 schools will not change that, and they have to protect their bball rivalries. A friendly cherry pick with an alliance of some kind to go with it has its issues, but is addresses some major issues too.
Hoop Fan

Postby Southland » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:26 pm

1) where's UCONN?
2) Tom Hansen did an interview in the paper here in Socal and said that the Pac 10 will never include BYU because it is not a major research University.
Southland
Varsity

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:31 pm

One damn thing about it if this merger comes down is how the University of South Florida will have come from total obscurity to that of being a BCS member school in the space of less than half a decade? What the hell is wrong with "THAT" picture? Quite unbelievable to be honest.

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 07-09-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:34 pm

He left Army out too, and if a merger is possible they won't bow out I wouldn't think. Two 9 team leagues with no crossovers may be desirable anyway because it allows a balanced schedule. My thought is the leagues would have separate finances and identities, with the only shared contract being their championship football game. Damn, I've convinced myself, somebody talk me off of the ledge here.
Hoop Fan

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:42 pm

Just a rumor, not credible. Sounds like someone's wishful thinking. However, if so:

First, UCONN will be in, Temple out
Second, it will spilt East and West
Third, E Carolina and S. Fla would be in East (ET)
Fourth, UAB may not make it in
Fifth, BB only schools have a say.

FB Conferences of 16 have proven to be unworkable, even with two divisions. This geography and related cost will be a major barrier.

I see three conferences, not one mega conference:

1. Big East (NE, Ohio Valley and E. Carolina
2. Conf. USA (Conf. of the South - FL to TX)
3. Basketball Only Schools.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Pony Nation » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:12 pm

No way they could justify putting USF in a BCS conference and then let SMU drop out of 1-A football. That's insane.
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:21 pm

so the genius who started this rumor thinks the Big East bball schools are just going to walk away from the lucrative Big East brand? Or, maybe the thinking is that the remaining Big East fball schools are willing to walk away and join CUSA in hopes of remaining in the BCS cartel? I've seen a lot of possibilities posted that actually make some sense, but I will believe this when I see it happen!
Charleston Pony

Postby fan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:33 pm

In response to above: not a flamer, been to at least 1 football and basketball game every year for last 20.

I agree that Temple does not make the cut and that UConn is in.

Bball schools from two conferences form theirr own league. Hoops conference keeps the Big East name so as to not lose the automatic NCAA B-Ball bid (I think they'll have enough remaining members to do so but not sure). The other schools join C-USA and still have automatic bid.

I remember a post here a week or so ago that said Army wanted to go independent.

Agree that USF making the cut and not SMU is insane.

Not shaping up well for SMU.

Like I said last week. The only thing that's going to save it for SMU is a 16 team national football playoff sponsored by the NCAA.
fan
Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:35 pm

No, the Beast schools could grab the CUSA schools and form their fabled catholic league.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:19 pm

We'll be fine, whatever happens. And I'm not sure the NCAA will be so keen to let this merger happen. It would greatly weaken 1-A football as a whole and further shift power to the BCS. It's amazing to see all these schools that have been throwing rocks at the BCS suddenly turn the other cheek now that they might possibly be getting a piece of the pie. Hypocrisy.. but that is college football these days..

And honestly.. what SMU fan wouldn't act the same way if we were in TCU or Louiville, or so on's shoes?

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 07-09-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football