PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Army Leaves CUSA

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Army Leaves CUSA

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:54 pm

<A HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/cusa/2003-07-10-army-exit_x.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/cusa/2003-07-10-army-exit_x.htm</A>

Army football retreating from Conference USA after 2004
WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) — Army's football team will leave Conference USA after the 2004 season to play as an independent. The U.S. Military Academy is making the move to have more flexibility in scheduling, superintendent Lt. Gen. William Lennox Jr. said Thursday.
"We are committed to building a competitive football program at the highest level," Lennox said.

Before joining Conference USA, Army was an independent from 1890 to 1997. Army joined as a football-only member in 1998.

Meanwhile, Conference USA officials voted Wednesday to enforce a bylaw preventing member schools from leaving before June 30, 2005. Conference officials said the move would not keep a school from leaving, but shows the league is prepared to fight to maintain its membership.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: Army Leaves CUSA

Postby Pony Nation » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:01 pm

Good riddance. I'm sure CUSA won't be losing sleep over the fact their weakest team who never did anything for the conference is leaving to be an independent.
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Postby Southland » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pony Nation:
<B>Good riddance. I'm sure CUSA won't be losing sleep over the fact their weakest team who never did anything for the conference is leaving to be an independent.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the side of the coin, I'm sure Army isn't exactly crushed that it can now schedule Notre Dame, Boston College, and the Northeast rivals that they had to drop once they entered CUSA.

I also doubt they'll miss the Southern Miss, Memphis, UAB, etc. games...

It's a win-win situation for all partners
Southland
Varsity

Postby Pony Nation » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:23 pm

Good point, the haul from West Point to Hattiesburg probably isn't that pleasant.

And I'm sure the other schools don't like going all the way up there either.
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:51 pm

In my view CUSA is a bigger loser in this departure. Army always draws a good crowd, just like Navy. This could really hurt UAB attendance and to some extent TCU's. It also may hurt their TV contract as Army is a national draw even when they stink.

Army apparently gave notice over a year ago that it would exercise its right to withdraw with one year's notice. They are safe from any reprisals.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:55 pm

GO ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't really blame them either...you're right about that 'Southland'...i'll take BC & ND anyday over UAB & yes, tcu!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:02 pm

Army takes with them the revenue from the nationally televised Army / Navy game. This is medium bowl level revenue.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Return to Football