PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I HATE AGGIES AND TEASIPS!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I HATE AGGIES AND TEASIPS!

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:58 pm

There are two billboards that have gone up on Interstate 45 (North Fwy.), on the northbound and southbound lanes, in Houston in the past week for A&M season tickets. It's a rear window of a truck or car and it has the words "Get FRANtic" drawn on it. Then to the right is season ticket contact info.

And I hate Teasips...just because.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: I HATE AGGIES AND TEASIPS!

Postby Tradition Pony » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:04 pm

I second that emotion MM1965. Funny that A&M would have an ad showing the rear of an automobile, because that's what the schools that hire Fran usually see after 2 or 3 years.
Tradition Pony

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:16 pm

Well said, TP!
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby DR'95 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:16 pm

If you guys are gonna HATE an entire group of people, simply for trying to market their football program, then I might suggest you try decaf, or perhaps therapy.

And as far as Fran is concerned, there are FEW Eddie Robinsons and Tom Osbourns around, most coaches change jobs.

How many people here wouldn't take a new job for an extra $300,000/yr, when they don't get along with their boss and have gotten involved with an organization in trouble?

As an Aggie, if Fran leaves in a couple of years, I'll be incredibly dissapointed, but I doubt there will be death threats (like at Alabama). And if he's gonna make $500,000 more, then you might even hear a few Ag's say I don't blame you and good luck.

[This message has been edited by DR'95 (edited 07-11-2003).]
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 1995
DR'95

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:40 pm

DR'95, you make a good point about taking the aggie job for an extra $300K. But what looks bad (and should worry aggie fans) is that he does it so often. Bolted New Mexico for TCU while still under contract. Bolted TCU for Bama, while still under contract. Bolted Bama for A&M while still under contract. I'm sure Bama gave him a fat raise over TCU, but did he really get a huge bump when he left New Mexico for frogland? To me, Franocchio is all about dollars and self-promotion. When he was flirting with Notre Dame a few years back, before he "pulled out" (read: "was told they weren't going to hire him in South Bend), you would have thought he invented football, the way he was touting his own abilities.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby DR'95 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:51 pm

Dallas,
I appreciate what you're saying, but I still argue that most coaches (and most people) do that.
Every year dozens of coaches change jobs and leave for greener pastures, under contract or not, and dozens of schools fire coaches, under contract or not.
As far as UNM to TCU, I bet there was more to it than money. Now, I like Albuquerque, but where do you go to recruit? New Mexico puts out a few good players, but it's a few, you've got to hit California and Texas hard.

At TCU, you could just about never leave the metroplex and do your recruiting.

I will also say that anytime I am in an interview, you would think I invented whatever I'm interviewing for! ;-)

Anyway, I really think the reason this was made into a big deal was that the Alabama faithful just made so much noise because they couldn't BELIEVE any coach would leave there on their own, much less to non-elite program.

I really think it's a moot point to argue about Fran leaving TAMU. If he does, then he does, if he doesn't then he doesn't. We'll know when it happens.

Bennett may leave SMU, Parcels may leave the Cowboys, Mack may leave Texas....anything COULD happen.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
DR'95

Postby EastStang » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:14 pm

I think the Alabama thing looks bad because it looked like Fran jumped to avoid having to deal with the consequences of probation caused by his predecessor. When he took the job at Bama, it was clear Bama was going to get something from the NCAA. He looked kind of like he was chickening out from a challenge for a few more sheckels.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby gostangs » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:59 pm

Hate to agree with an Agdog - But I'm with him on this one - the problem is fans get emotional and don't think of college football coaching postions as career moves. The Fran moves have been self promoting for money - the same thing all of us do to certain degree in our own careers. His best was going to Bama from TCU - they cried about that like it was even a tough decision for anyone. By the way - Does anyone remember the USM guy who was practicly in tears at the Bobby Collins press conference where he announced he was going to SMU - talk about devoid of a life. The lesson is - Love your team - like your coach, because they are all out on loan. And in the end - its just football so have fun and chill out.
gostangs

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:47 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DR'95:
[B]If you guys are gonna HATE an entire group of people, simply for trying to market their football program, then I might suggest you try decaf, or perhaps therapy.

DR'95: I don't HATE the Aggies or Teasips simply for trying to market their football programs...my hatred runs MUCH deeper than that! I don't have the time to go into it here...it could fill a book...suffice it to say, nothing would make me happier than to see both schools fall into the largest sinkholes in Texas and never be heard from again!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 07-11-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby BillBored » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:51 pm

why do you call UT fans teasippers?
Harvard: The SMU of the North
BillBored
Recruit

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:16 pm

It goes back to the Prohibition days when the students there would imbibe 'tea' which was, in reality, booze. The Aggies began calling them 'teasippers'. I refuse to call them anything else.

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby DR'95 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:00 pm

Alright 1965,

As long as your general prejudices have more behind them than a couple of bill boards, it's understandable.

EastStang -
I absolutely believe Fran left to avoid the problems of probation. I think you're dead on with that point.
I do, however, think there is a little more to it. When Fran was hired, the full extent of the sanctions was not yet known, and I've *heard* he was told "a little slap on the wrist, no big deal" by the AD.
Then the NCAA came in and took away a quarter of their scholies with the possibilities of more.

Anyway, I'm obviously biased, though I attempt to be objective.
DR'95

Return to Football