PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Shagadelic, Baby!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Shagadelic, Baby!

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:15 pm

I was in the stadium yesterday checking out our new "shag" turf. Installation is moving right along. Still a few rolls of "green" and "white" sitting at the top of the service tunnel on Ownby Drive. Considerable amount of seamstress work left to inlay the numbers and hash marks and, of course, the end zone art. Was wondering if Peruna will re-appear in the former 20 yd. format at the 50. (?) Definitely going to be first class.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Shagadelic, Baby!

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:20 pm

When are they going to post more pictures!?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:30 pm

Where will Peruna graze during the games (when he's not racing from one end of the field to the other)?

My vote would be to keep him up on the hill at the south end, and have him "meet" kids - future PonyFans. Then, as the team gets close to scoring (and at the end of quarters), bring him down for his gallop from end zone to end zone.

(Also might eliminate the need for the Peruna handlers to have to keep a shovel nearby....)
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyTales:
<B>Where will Peruna graze during the games (when he's not racing from one end of the field to the other)?

My vote would be to keep him up on the hill at the south end, and have him "meet" kids - future PonyFans. Then, as the team gets close to scoring (and at the end of quarters), bring him down for his gallop from end zone to end zone.

(Also might eliminate the need for the Peruna handlers to have to keep a shovel nearby....)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PT: If memory serves me correct, there's no easy access from the 'grassy knoll' down to the field at the south end of Ford. I agree, however, with the idea of letting the future Mustangs meet Peruna before and after the game!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:45 pm

Peruna already is available to meet before the games. He walks up and down the boulevard at least an hour before the game (at those early morning games) and usually 2 to 3 hours before the game start, so he is available to meet, pet and have your picture taken with him. After the game it is a little more difficult because most people don't hang around once the game is over, and it is a trek to get to his home, so usually the handlers don't stay too long afterwards. Peruan isn't normally allowed to graze on the field. Carrots were kept for him as treats, and regardless of where he is the pooper scooper and bucket need to be handy. Although he is usually pretty good and goes in the trailer before he is taken out on the boulevard.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:49 pm

One more thing, he isn't allowed to run after touchdons anymore....NCAA has a rule against that kind of thing now....supposedly live mascots aren't allowed on the playing surface while there is time on the clock, which is it is only done after each quarter. I know that other schools get away with it, but every time we asked the refs if we could they threatened to penalize the team if we did, in fact at the NC-State game a couple of years ago, they wouldn't even let us run him across the field after the quarters.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Otto » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:01 pm

That's a bad rule. Seeing Peruna race across the field was always a great part of my Saturdays.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Return to Football