PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mean Joe Greene versus the Mailman

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mean Joe Greene versus the Mailman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:42 pm

In these endless discussions about conference realignment, it appears that most of you favor La Tech over NTSU. I’m not as certain, as the main criteria appear to favor NTSU.

Revenue Potential) 23,000 students versus 9,000. Advantage NTSU.

Travel Expenses) DFW Int’l airport versus Greyhound Quad-County Terminal. Advantage NTSU.

Location) One school is 30 miles away from Dallas, the other 300 miles from New Orleans. Advantage NTSU.

Academic Reputation) Push.

Unless Tulane wants a second La school, seems to me the 7,000 to 10,000 extra fans NTSU would bring to a single FB game more than offsets any benefits La Tech can offer.

Truth is I would prefer neither school, but I’m not ready to select La Tech over NTSU.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Mean Joe Greene versus the Mailman

Postby Stallion » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:36 pm

SMU will have ZERO influence on who might get in CUSA so it really is irrelevant.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LATech » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:56 pm

Stallion is correct, it's irrelevant. However, let's set the record straight on SoCal_Pony's "criteria" mis-assertions.

Football Attendance- Since 1998 Louisiana Tech has averaged 19,155 fans/game, while UNT has averaged 14,072. Going back to 1997 LA Tech's attendance avg. increases to nearly 20K/game, not sure about UNT. I know that UNT has met the new Div 1A minimum attendance requirement of 15K only twice over the past 5 seasons. Tech exceeds this every year, good season or bad.

LA Tech set an all-time enrollment record in Fall 2003 with over 11K students. We do not have massive #s of commuter students like UNT (DFW metro working folks attending school at night to get a Masters' degree). Notably, LA Tech's enrollment has increased consecutively for the past 7 years, while tougher selective admissions standards have been implemented. Let me know if you want links.

Location- Louisiana Tech is an easy 4 hour drive from Dallas, TX. We played you in Shreveport in 2001, which is only a 3 hour drive from Dallas. In either case, it is 100% on I-20 with LA Tech's stadium less than 1/2 mile off of I-20.

Academic Reputation- Louisiana Tech is regarded as one of the finest Engineering universities in the south. I'm not sure what UNT is known for.

Finally, if you are going to compare professional athletes, don't stop with just the Mailman:
LA Tech: Karl Malone PF Utah/LA?, Terry Bradshaw QB Steelers, PJ Brown PF Hornets, William Roaf OT Saints/Chiefs, Fred Dean DE 49ers, Pat Tilley WR Cardinals, Troy Edwards WR Cardinals, Matt Stover K Ravens, Chris Boniol K Cowboys/Eagles, Tim Rattay QB 49ers, Larry Anderson DB Steelers/Colts, Mike Barber TE Oilers, Roger Carr WR Colts, Doug Evans CB Packers/Panthers,...

If you would rather be in a conference with UNT, then SMU should join the Sunbelt. They'd love to have you! Louisiana Tech said "NO" to that opportunity a few years ago.
LATech
Scout Team

Postby Pegasus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:56 pm

i was at every SMU vs NTSU game in the 80s and 90s, and i don't remember ANY game that ntsu brought 7 to 10,000 fans. What are you smoking?
Pegasus
Scout Team

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:14 am

LaTech travels better than UNT...and LaTech would travel to NO, will UNT?

I don't think so...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Return to Football