PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mel Kiper on Texas Tech

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mel Kiper on Texas Tech

Postby PonyTales » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:00 pm

I heard Mel Kiper this afternoon on ESPN radio, and he was previewing the Big 12. He said Tech's whole season will depend on QB B.J. Symons. He said the kid has all the ability in the world, a big, talented offensive line and a group of receivers "that's as good as any in the country." But he said it all comes down to how fast he makes the offense his own. Kiper suggested Tech could be ripe for an upset or two in the early going while Symons and the offense get used to each other.

Which, of course, sounds good to all PonyFans.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Mel Kiper on Texas Tech

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:00 pm

All I know is that Symons looked pretty good against Clemson in the Tangerine Bowl last year. I don't think the Tech offense skips a beat this year. It would be a HUGE upset for SMU to beat Tech in Lubbock.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Phil Fan » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:03 pm

True, but Tech's defense also took some serious hits in graduation. I agree it would be a big upset, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:01 pm

he's going to step in a throw for big yardage starting in Week 1-note that he was picked a 2nd Team All-Texas by Texas Football. This is an already experienced player.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fresh » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:14 am

That's the same Texas Football that gets all its info from the prospectus released by each school. So Tech has a better PR staff than other Texas schools? I don't know where he ranks in Texas, but I'd say they don't, either. Chance Mock, Reggie McNeal, Richard Bartel and Tye Gunn - assuming they all start - could be better. Or worse. It's too early to tell, especially with a guy who hasn't played (much).
Fresh
Varsity

Postby roddog » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:01 pm

our recievers are going to be good, but smu is improving, i am glad the game is in lubbock
roddog

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:30 pm

I'll grant you that many from the Mean Green Nation will be pulling for SMU to pull an upset over the Red Raiders.

Yall found a Safeway parking lot to your liking yet? Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>All I know is that Symons looked pretty good against Clemson in the Tangerine Bowl last year. I don't think the Tech offense skips a beat this year. It would be a HUGE upset for SMU to beat Tech in Lubbock.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby Corso » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:47 pm

Hasn't Tech had some difficulty with UNT in recent years? How did UNT pull those upsets? Maybe we can get Coach Dickey on the phone for some insight?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:59 pm

I hope we play them as well as we did last year. This doesn't look like a very good possibiity for a win to me but I guess stranger things have occurred. Six wins would look good for 2003. I just want to see improvement every year for the next 4-5. At that point, we should be able to compete with many BCS conference schools but we are still a long way off.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:53 pm

Well, for what its worth, Bennett and Dickey are old buddies from way back when with their Kansas State connection. I'd bet D.Dickey could get some film over to yall! Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corso:
<B>Hasn't Tech had some difficulty with UNT in recent years? How did UNT pull those upsets? Maybe we can get Coach Dickey on the phone for some insight?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Return to Football