PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Best win post DP??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: POLL: Best win post DP??

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:15 pm

I agree with Stallion in this regard, we need a break-thru win under Bennett to telegraph that we are re-emerging and returning to our Tradition of winning Texas style FB. Is that "meaningful" win this season? Which game? OOC game?

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 07-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 07-14-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:28 pm

Though it was not a win, tying ATM in '94 made my heart swell with pride. Played their hearts out.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:50 pm

Well, and SMU really did beat aTm at Kyle field in 1993, but the officials didn't allow for that (calling a bogus pass interference near the end of game to set up a TD that wasn't in bounds to close it out).
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby ReedFrawg » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:56 pm

The two A&M games - the tie on the missed FG and the last-second BS loss at Kyle Field - both should have been SMU wins. Those hurt me bad and I went to TCU.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonySnob:
<B>Certainly the "Miracle on Mockingbird" has to rank up there. The last second victory against New Mexico in Ownby stadium?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:30 pm

The topic here is the "best win" so it only has to be meaningful to SMU players and fans. That's why I mentioned the games I did.

I agree, though, that SMU will not have a truly "meaningful" win until we beat a Top 25 team. We might have several opportunities this year with Okie State, Fresno, Boise & TCU all potentially ranked teams at the time we play them.
Charleston Pony

Postby Dark Horse » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:31 pm

The biggest win: this year's season-opening win over Texas Tech!
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:39 pm

Given TCU's creampuff schedule this year, my dream would be to play them with an undefeated season on the line for them and smoke them. The game would undoubtedly be televised. They would be screaming that they deserved a BCS bowl bid, and then....
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Tradition Pony » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:54 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ReedFrawg:
[B]The two A&M games - the tie on the missed FG and the last-second BS loss at Kyle Field - both should have been SMU wins. Those hurt me bad and I went to TCU.

Unfortunately, I was at both of those games. We contorlled both of them with timely scoring and defense, at least until the very end. We lost in 1994 in San Antonio because of our own shortcomings. However, we lost in 1995 at College Station because of refs alone. The 4th down pass interference call on Ken Neill on the final drive was total garbage, as was Albert Connell's b.s. catch out of bounds for the touchdown to win it for a$m.
Tradition Pony

Previous

Return to Football