PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Best win post DP??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

POLL: Best win post DP??

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:45 pm

Certainly the "Miracle on Mockingbird" has to rank up there. The last second victory against New Mexico in Ownby stadium?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: POLL: Best win post DP??

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:05 am

I met the QB from that NMex game a few years ago, and I mentioned to him that I was at that SMU-UNM game where we won it toward the end on a miraculous catch, something like 45-42...

He lost 5 or 6 games in a row like that...all high scoring.

He said that one was a tough one and that his defense obviously wasn't the best that year.

What was his name? He played for Baltimore Ravens at that time...

Nice guy.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:10 am

"PERHAPS NOT THE BEST WIN, BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE..." whatever Cavan said.

In retrospect...that Kansas win on ...

09-02-2001 was awefully nice, wasn't it?

106 degrees at kickoff, sold out, lots of Jayhawk fans, the Boulevard packed, and we just seemed to destroy them. Everything went our way.

Unfortunately, we didn't win much that year, but you have to say, that was a FUN game. It seems like so many times when we lost before that the ball didn't bounce our way. But that day, it certainly did.

"And it was nice, and we *liked* it!"
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:34 am

That Kansas win was sweet because it marked the opening of a wonderful new facility and despite the heat, was played in front of a packed house. I certainly enjoyed that trip. As for the UConn game, it was special at the time, but I can't rank a come from behind victory over a I-AA program at the top of any list. If we're going to do that, then the Homecoming win against UNT that same year should rank right up there (I attended that one as well).

I've got 3 games on my "short list" of acomplishments since the death penalty. Tops on that list has to be our 31-9 win over Arkansas in '97, marking the 3rd consecutive year we beat the Hogs. Broyles couldn't wait to get out of that 6 yr deal with us! I also rank the '99 team's 24-14 win over Fresno in the Cotton Bowl (played in front of only family & friends) because Fresno was expected to stomp us in front of a national TV audience. I took a lot of grief for our miserable attendance (only 8200 in the Cotton Bowl), but people around here were impressed by the Ponies' play that day.

And finally, the game that was perhaps the most meaningful to the guys who played that day...has to be the '92 team's 41-16 thrashing of Houston in Ownby. The 35 seniors on that squad had been humiliated by Houston 95-21 in their Frosh year and I'm sure that day will always be a memorable one for them...and me, because I lived in OKC at that time and was able to attend that game!
Charleston Pony

Postby Grider » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
<B>I met the QB from that NMex game a few years ago, and I mentioned to him that I was at that SMU-UNM game where we won it toward the end on a miraculous catch, something like 45-42...

He lost 5 or 6 games in a row like that...all high scoring.

He said that one was a tough one and that his defense obviously wasn't the best that year.

What was his name? He played for Baltimore Ravens at that time...

Nice guy.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't that Stoney Case? I think he's from Odessa.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Nacho » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:39 am

NM game was my favorite. Was Fran on the sideline then or did he come after that? It's hard to keep track of the guy.
Nacho

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:19 am

Even a hoop fan could appreciate the 10-6 win over the Froggies on Doak Walker Day at the Cotton Bowl in 1998. A real hard nosed game played in a steady but warm rain. I believe it was Franchones first year. Kelsey Adams, I think, busts a long run up the east sideline for the game winner. The Arkansas win at Shreveport was sweet as that Houston payback game.
Hoop Fan

Postby Fresh » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:22 am

I'd say the Miracle on Mockingbird, but I also took a lot of pride in the boys when they beat Houston (41-16 at Ownby) in 1992. Three years after UH shamelessly ran it up our team of freshmen in 1989, Dan Freiburger (I think) led the Ponies to an extremely satisfying win.

I've been at every home game since the DP, and a bunch of roadies - when was the great win over New Mexico ya'll are talking about? Somehow it doesn't ring a bell.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby 93Mustang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:25 am

The complete domination of Arkansas in "Shrevepit" in Cavan's first year has to be the most impressive win (we soundly beat a decent SEC team). The 1992 UH game was huge watching our seniors avenge that 1989 unsportsmanlike disgrace. The win over a decent Utah team in Cavan's first year was also big - I believe Luke Johnson blocked a field goal or extra point to seal the win. Another good one was our win over TCU on Doak Walker day at the Cotton Bowl - very boring game offensively until Kelsey Adams broke a big one down the sideline for the win.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Tradition Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:26 am

Funny how Rossley owned Fraud. He beat him in 1992, the year before I got to SMU. Then he beat him again in 1994 in Ownby when Flanigan threw the TD to Brian Berry in the closing seconds. Then my senior year at SMU we blew New Mexico out at the Cotton Bowl. Flanigan to Albert Johnson on our first play from scrimmage for an 80 yard TD.

But my favorite post-ncaa aggression wins were 23-10 against Arkansas in Fayetteville and 27-24 against TCU at the Cotton Bowl on Thursday night ESPN.
Tradition Pony

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:43 am

I'm still waiting for the first MEANINGFUL victory since the DP.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Vitale » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:13 pm

You just can't let PonyFans enjoy what success we've had! We all want more wins and more success, but does every win and accomplishment SMU has had have to be shot down as insignificant?
Vitale
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:29 pm

Stallion see his role as the Eeyore of board - don't deny him his little grumpy pleasures.
gostangs

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:41 pm

Stallion would be right to say SMU has produced no meaningful seasons since the DP, but to say there have been no meaningful wins is wrong. At the time, there have been several important wins even including a 30-0 win over Rice during a 5 game win streak in 97. The problem has been following up on the glimmers of respectablity.
Hoop Fan

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:50 pm

Since Mike Cavan is probably not reading our board on a regular basis, I'll enter one for him.

How about Kansas to open Ford.

Sorry to be redundant to Charleston, but I remember Cavan being redundant in his statement

[This message has been edited by Diehard Pony (edited 07-14-2003).]
Diehard Pony
All-American

Next

Return to Football