PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The New Big East

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The New Big East

Postby Pony Nation » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:45 pm

I'd like to see USF and UCF in the same conference, so they could develop some kind of in-state rivalry.

As far as I know, neither team really has a fierce rival or anything like that. UCF and Marshall is fun I guess, but geographically it's stupid.

------------------
Go Ponies

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats." - B. C. Forbes

[This message has been edited by Pony Nation (edited 07-15-2003).]
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:05 pm

USF has a big enrollment and is in a recruiting hotbet and large market. All true. But somehow I think they are getting more mileage out of potential and the unknown than they deserve. My point is if a UCF or USF built an on campus expandable stadium the quality of Ford they would be hailed as the epitome of commitment. The fact that SMU did it is largely ignored by fan perception at least, we have to hope that the administrative types out there see it differently. In short, its hard to be taken seriously when the commitment was not there for so long through the 90s.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:15 pm

MustangKurt20, I didn't say it between the lines or even in a subliminal sort of way that UNT had a better "D" than the UT Longhorns. I did say that "Jub-Jub" said it was his opinion that U of South Florida had a better defensive line than UT. Don't know how that could be misconstrued as saying that UNT had a better defense than Texas? It is very hot weather outside, maybe that's it?

BUT.......I will say that there won't be many Texas based D1-A football teams with a much better "D" than the 2003 version of the Mean Green's, though. I will say that with as much confidence as most of the summer college football magazines who seem to all be saying the same things about the Mean Green defense.

To the poster below on the Pony Express, I saw the Pony Express play a few times so I remember them well. I saw Craig James on the opening play of a UNT/SMU game at Texas Stadium run it in for a TD from about 55 yards from scrimmage. Yes, I remember the Pony Express too well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MustangKurt20:
<B>I've been missing my fix of UNT propaganda. And I don't respect Jub Jub's college football opinions b/c he is so skewed towards North Texas State. And no...North Texas State's defense is not as good as Texas'. that's laughable.

Kurt</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:03 pm

Oh Mean One- I'm glad you saw the Express. If you really think USF of last year could compare in any way, you really should ask someone to take you to football games and explain them to you(:. Best of luck to UNT this year.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:01 pm

No, I don't think many teams today could compare to the Pony Express. Thanks for the best wishes as we all need a little Lady Luck with us from time to time. She has been smiling on us lately as far as lack of key long term injuries and grade casualties. Here's hoping she continues that smile.

The Mean Green Nation is hoping the Mustangs stir up a major dust storm in Lubbock this Fall. We will cast a spell on what we have in recent years called Fouts West so you can bring a "W" back to the Metroplex from way out there! INTERPRETATION: Kick some major Red Raider arse for us all back here in the Metroplex, will 'ya)?!?!? Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OldPony:
<B>Oh Mean One- I'm glad you saw the Express. If you really think USF of last year could compare in any way, you really should ask someone to take you to football games and explain them to you(:. Best of luck to UNT this year.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 07-16-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football