PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Blue? EndZones

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Blue? EndZones

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:55 pm

I'm thinking there is going to be at lot of painting going on... perhaps a navy design over the royal blue. Just speculating... waiting for someone to respond to me.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Tradition Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:01 pm

My impression was that the endzones would be navy blue like our new uniforms and the seats in the upper portion of the stadium.

That royal is really going to clash I think. Makes no sense. Should have left the color out of the endzones if this is what we are going to be stuck with. That or go back to the old royal color scheme that we used to have in the athletic dept.
Tradition Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:06 pm

It could simply be a color mix-up... but I doubt it. They've hopefully got SOMETHING planned for this thing.. because you can just look at the pictures and see that they don't match the seats.. they're too different colors entirely.. it's not even a lighter shade of navy.

However, if this is the same camera that SmuMustangs.com used when taking pictures of the new uniforms, I can tell you right now that that particular camera makes reds and blues brighter than they are.

I'm grasping at straws.. why has no one from SMU's Athletic Dept. informed of us anything?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Dement-ed » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:19 pm

I like PK's explanation, that we don't want the players to disappear when they're in the end zone.

Two ideas: if the end zones are decorated well (MUSTANGS, SMU, etc.), it will REALLY stand out on TV. And maybe it was done in coordination with some graphic for the center of the field?
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby FWMustang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:32 pm

Blend in with the endzones?!?! The QB is not throwing from the press box. Do Baylor or ND(w/ green jerseys) blend with the grass?? Do Boise St's blue unis blend w/ their horrible Smurf field? Don't think so.

Go look at the one pic that is at eye level. The endzones are a thin strip of color in the background. If you can't distinguish players from the surroundings, then you have bigger problems.

Painting this kind of field is kind of ludicrous. The turf is supposed to be the color of what ever your design is so you don't have to paint it, keeping maintenance costs down.

Sorry, but I haven't heard a good explanation on here yet. We need investigative reporter Bball or Prof. X on this story.

[This message has been edited by FWMustang (edited 07-14-2003).]
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby Peruna's Pal » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:59 pm

Trust me...when they get the sand andrubber pellets down and into the field, the blue will darken somewhat. Plus, when the endones are finished, the blue will be great looking. Ihave personally seen teh field and it is no different than our blue color last year and the year before.
Peruna's Pal

Postby k pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:10 pm

I just retuned from seeing the field. The photos are way off. The color is darket than the seats. They still have rubber pellets and sand to add. The color also will be darker once the endzone markings are in.
k pony
Recruit

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:14 pm

Reid Parker told me that when they are finished the endzones will be navy blue like the jerseys. There are additional steps to be taken.

[This message has been edited by Diehard Pony (edited 07-14-2003).]
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:23 pm

any word on the design at midfield? Will it be the small mustang as normal, or will it be (please please please) a gigantic moody-like mustang taking up the whole field, 20 to 20 like in my dreams?......
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby k pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:07 pm

The midfield design will be a red 20 yd wide Peruna.

They are due to start on it today.
k pony
Recruit

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:35 pm

On the blue end zones, I sent an email to Shawn Heilbron in the SMU Athletic Dept. Marketing Office at Moody Coliseum. Here's his response:

Obviously, the field is not finished yet. The blue will
appear darker with the black rubber underneath when it is complete. I
hope that our true red and blue loyalists will give the process a chance
to come to fruition. It is going to look great and be a wonderful
surface for our athletes to play on.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FWMustang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:36 pm

Does that mean the green field will darken too when the rubber/sand mixture is added? He makes it sound like the endzones wil only be padded & I know that's not the case. I hope they are right, but we'll see.

k pony, how can the color of the endzones be that off, when the blue seats (that I sit in) look just like they do in person? I don't think the camera can pick & choose what it distorts by that much.

The green "grass" is a good color, but that blue has a long way to go to get navy.

[This message has been edited by FWMustang (edited 07-14-2003).]
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:44 pm

Per Reed Parker, Pony will be the same size as before, and endzones will read "SMU" and "Mustangs", respectively.

FWmustang, Reed said some black elements necessary to the composition of the end zone is what will change the color so significantly from royal to navy blue.

[This message has been edited by Diehard Pony (edited 07-14-2003).]
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby FWMustang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:56 pm

That's great! I'm glad to hear it. I hope it turns out.

Thanks to the people who did for getting us the scoop.
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby k pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:13 pm

FWMUSTANG:

Trust me, I had the same reservations as you until I went over there. The photos make it look much more royal.

It will look great when Finished. Go take a look when you get a chance.
k pony
Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Football