PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Biggest win of the year? What will it be . . .

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Biggest win of the year? What will it be . . .

Postby PonyTime » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:39 pm

If you could pick any one game to provide that Bennett breakthrough "Big Win" which would it be . . .

TCU?
Tech?
OSU?
Fresno?

For me - I will be a BIG TIME frog fan all year long, as I would prefer that those Froggies are highly ranked when they come into Ford this year. That will make the Pony victory all that more impressive (Frog fans - don't even bother responding). Knocking off the Froggies and potentially beating a "top 25" team all in one evening . . .
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Biggest win of the year? What will it be . . .

Postby ponyte » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:05 pm

The biggest win will be the win that puts us in a bowl. It may not come this year.

Other than that, a win over OSU, Fresno and TCU would be an excellent combination.

One win will not change our current fortunes. A series of wins and big wins will.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:20 pm

The season-opening win over Tech is going to be nice, but that win over TCU we're going to have at the end of the season is going to have all of us fired up for 2004!

Top win: TCU
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby OldPony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:24 pm

Pray that it is bigger than Rice. I don't think we have much chance to win over 5.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:42 pm

The Win needs to occur early. Our reputation is getting out of the gate slow.

Give me TT or OSU as a break-out game, plus either would be a major upset, qualifying as huge, given our program's recent history.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Pony Up » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:53 pm

Beating Tech, I think, is possible. Not likely, but not impossible. If we were to upset OSU, we'd be a hot topic on SportsCenter, and recruiting would skyrocket.

Beating Baylor High will thrill me, though. Perfect way to shut up the BU folks I work with.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:17 pm

I think your biggest win will be the one over Tech. That will be a huge upset and make the statement early on that you are for real. And who on the team will doubt that they can win the WAC games if they can beat Tech? Its a huge game, and a win could bring an awesome season.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:40 pm

Pony Up: Sadly, SportsCenter will only say that it was an 'off' day for the opposing team. We won't get any respect from SportsCenter until we put together consistent winning seasons.

That said, I'm pulling for an upset over Texas Tech! Just booked my flight to Lubbock this morning and I'm ready to go take on some Red Raiders! GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 07-14-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby Nacho » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:16 pm

Beating TT in Lubbock will be very difficult. I saw TT lose to UNT 4 years ago in Lubbock. Anything can happen.

Beating Baylor is almost a must-win. Would really hurt to lose that one.

Forget OSU. That is an awesome team.

Nevada is another road game that we need to win. They may be the most underrated team in the WAC.

If we go 2-2 out of the first 4 we will be in good shape. 1-3 is very possible. I can't think about another 0-4 start.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:47 pm

If we can beat TTech, Okie St, Fresno, Boise or TCU this year...any of those would be huge and might just mean this team has arrived ahead of schedule!
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:03 pm

None of the above with the possible exception of a BIG upset of Baylor in Waco which will be favored by about a Touchdown-you got to to walk before you can run and we don't have the athletes yet to beat Tech, OSU, Fresno, Boise, TCU and probably not Nevada. The most under-rated team in the WAC just as I predicted last year will once again be SJSU which is getting some big time JC recruits to bolster that program like Tyson Thompson and Eddie Brown both from Texas to go with the Texan WR Broussard from last year. A victory over Rice would be a step in the right direction.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 07-14-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:12 pm

true, but that's why they play the games and it's why there have been so many shocking upsets over the years. We are way overdue to shock someone and we are getting closer talent wise. What we can't predict is the heart of these young guys and the improvement they might show in a single year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony Nation » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:55 pm

TCU or Baylor will be our biggest victory. If we beat TCU, that will be our biggest, but until then the [deleted] whooping we will put up on the Bears will do.

Small chance we run the table in Texas (to our best ability given our schedule) with Tech, Baylor, UTEP, Rice, and TCU wins. Which would rule.

Sorry, I must be a little delusional today.

------------------
Go Ponies

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats." - B. C. Forbes
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Postby PonyTales » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:26 pm

Charleston Pony's post should be printed on a big sign to hang in the locker room!
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Football