PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU's dreams

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU's dreams

Postby bhop » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:48 pm

I know this is NOT the TCU board (I am SMU all the way), but I have a question about the Toads.

It seems like a lot of them think they are going to the MWC (except those delusional few who actually believe they will end up in the Big 12). Why is that? And why would TCU want to play in the MWC? It seems like it would be a bad fit.

1) TCU is located in north Texas in the central time zone. All the MWC teams are located in the mountain time zone. For that matter, TCU wouldn't be within 500 miles of a single conference mate.

2) TCU fans couldn't travel to away games.

3) None of the MWC teams (except BYU) are a good draw for the home schedule. Even Air Force isn't great, if my memory of SMU home games in the old WAC serves me.

4) They would have to play a bunch of games on Tuesday or Thursday nights just to get on ESPN2.

5) I don't know, but I would think the revenue stream from the MWC wouldn't make up for the travel costs.

Those are just the reasons that are off the top of my head. Can someone explain what TCU's attraction to the Mountain West is? Or for that matter, why the MWC would be interested in TCU?
bhop
Scout Team

Re: TCU's dreams

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:14 pm

I believe their rational is:

1. After a good five year run, they believe have moved to a different echelon of FB. My take is that they will struggle maintaining this level over time as a 5,000 Student Body Private School.
2. MWC is their wish for possible BCS status. If Conf. USA is weakened, they want to stay closer to the action. My take is MWC would be a downer for them for all the reasons mentioned above. Lastly, MWC would rather stay in MT and PT. TCU would be a major outlier geographically for both parties.
3. Big 12 is a pipe dream. Baylor is the only school XII will permit to get a free pass on attendance, budget, traveling fans, etc.
4. It bothers them to be linked to us and they are worried that if they don't get farther away now, Phil Bennett will close the gap soon and by pass them. Unthinkable.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:15 pm

I think all of your questions/comments are valid except #2. What makes you think the Froggies' fans couldn't travel to away games?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby SMUstang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:16 pm

They're dilusional. The are so focused on becoming a BCS member and they think the MWC is their best shot if C-USA implodes. You are exactly right that there are many many good reasons why that would be a bad move. First of all, the MWC will never be BCS (if the BCS survives which I don't think it will).
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby DallasFrog » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:04 pm

BHOP,
Out of your five reasons, name one that is any different than our current situation. Outside of Houston and Tulane, we're pretty geographically challenged now.

If, and that's a big if, but if CUSA shuts down or fails to produce a solid alternative, then why stay in something that will be taking a major step backward. The only reason we look for a possibility in the MWC is to get as close to BCS inclusion as possible. And with the remaining non-BCS conferences, the MWC will be the only one left with a chance. Call in dilusional if you want, but why settle for second best?

And you all take it personally that we'd go elsewhere, when the truth of the matter is we'd love to be in the same conference as you all, but if we have to go to another conference to increase our stature, you can't blame us.

I hope the BCS blows up, we have a national playoff system with everyone getting a fair shake.
DallasFrog
Scout Team

Postby fan » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:18 pm

The absolute best thing for TCU would be if the BCS blew up and there was a national playoff. I think TCU (or SMU or Houston or NTSU) fans should stop wasting time trying to figure out a way to get into a BCS conference and start trying to figure out ways to persuade the college presidents and the NCAA to sanction a football playoff.
fan
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:24 pm

Hey, Frog: I think your last line says it all. After the 7/22 conference call (or should I say call to arms?), I fully expect the "non-BCS" group to turn up the heat on the BCS cartel. I think a playoff, or a system much more inclusive, is coming when the current BCS deal expires in 2006. Heck, we might even see that sucker collapse before then. I'd hate to see the Frogs jump into a bad situation in hopes of BCS inclusion...only to see the current system blow up. Bottom line is that SMU & TCU belong in a conference together along with Houston, Rice, Tulsa & Tulane. I sure hope it happens because it will benefit all of us in the long run.
Charleston Pony

Return to Football