PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ole Miss' Reasons for Ditching Mascot Silly

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ole Miss' Reasons for Ditching Mascot Silly

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:03 pm

<A HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/1994436" TARGET=_blank>http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/1994436</A>

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ole Miss' Reasons for Ditching Mascot Silly

Postby MustangKurt20 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:38 am

Political Correctness strikes again. Any scrap of Confederate history left after about ten years will be a miracle.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:42 am

i couldn't have said any better! so sad! so sad! & its such a small, small minority that yells the loudest.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby methodistmustang » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:45 am

As long as they stay the Rebels I will still be ok. I've always admired a college that doesn't forget the heritage of its region.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby Pony Nation » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:19 am

They won't be the Rebels for long, I don't think.

What mascot would they change to? Maybe like "the Gentlemen" ala Centenary.

That wouldn't be too bad, and it would kind of fit the Ole Miss persona.

------------------
Go Ponies

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats." - B. C. Forbes
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Postby smudad » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:29 am

When we were there with the team in '97, their band had been 'requested' not to play Dixie - at least not at key times. I think Dr. Turner had actually started some of the 'de-Dixie-fying' of Ole Miss. It's just a survival fact of life in this PC day and age.

I was with the author and his logic until he delineated between Colonel Reb, The Flag and DIXIE. I frankly think they're all harmless symbols that represent Southern life – not slavery or racism. If we continue to allow groups of people to continue to identify with or against significant portions of our language, culture and history, making them politically incorrect, pretty soon we won’t have any left. (How much longer will Churchill Downs be allowed to play My Old Kentucky Home at The Derby?) But it seems these three Ole Miss symbols all represent the same thing.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby MustangKurt20 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:44 am

The past isn't something to be put in a closet and forgotten about. Many of us in the South had ancestors who fought and died for the Confederacy that never owned slaves. In fact over 80 percent of Confederate soldiers didn't own slaves, yet they were fighting to preserve slavery? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But that's another issue altogether. The Confederate flag has been bastioned by hate groups such as the KKK and have destroyed any chance of mainstream America recognizing there were more aspects to secession and the formation of the Confederacy than slavery. The free trade economy of the Confederacy was a revolutionary idea opposed by the big industry and protectionist policies of the North. I for one am proud that Texas was a member of the CSA and its sad that many Texans and southerners I know are so ignorant to the facts surrounding The War Between the States.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:31 pm

Kurt:

You are either too young or naive to think that slavery was not the defining factor in the Civil War.

States rights and economic arguements were different ways to justify and maintain the status quo, e.g. a culture and economy which relied on slavery/free labor. The South seceded not because Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves (because he promised not to touch the "instituiton") but because of the fear he might and he opposed the expansion of slavery. That was unacceptable to the ruling class in the south.

Colonel Reb is not a big deal to me, but to some he characterizes and represents the idea of a plantation society. It is not for me to say he is good or bad. It is up to Ole Miss to resolve it themselves.

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 07-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 07-16-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby davish75 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:34 pm

I think Texas should be ashamed if was part of the CSA - after all it was forsaking your country. There was not many redeeming qualities about the Old South. We should understand our history and not try to glorify an era that was so backward and misguided. Good for The University of Mississippi!
AustinTX
davish75
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:07 pm

Davish75: I guess that means you won't be patronizing Six Flags Over Texas any time in the near future? Or patronizing its parent company, Warner Brothers?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:00 pm

What about chivalry and good bourbon - both were born in the Old South?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Pony Nation » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:06 pm

Davish75: That's terrible. Being ashamed in your heritage is the worst thing you can do.

I don't agree with slavery or racism, but I respect my ancestors who fought for the CSA. The War Between the States was not only about slavery, also. There were many other factors, ones that I don't want to go into on a SMU football board.

The South was only doing what they thought was right, and I respect that. I feel that Ole Miss was just trying to respect that as well originally, and it is sad they are turning away from their storied past.

------------------
Go Ponies

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats." - B. C. Forbes
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Postby davish75 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:31 pm

I believe I'm being realistic in being ashamed of Texas being part of the CSA and of SMU having segregated teams until the 1960s. It does not mean I don't support current SMU teams and I'm still proud to be an SMU graduate. Usually one's heritage is a mixture of good and bad and we just accept it and do our best.
I just do not think one should pretend certain symbol do not glorify what should not be glorified.
AustinTX
davish75
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:04 pm

Living in the State which has more Confederate Memorials per mile than any (Virginia) we have managed quite well to deal with the past heritage. We leave the statues alone and add new ones, like Arthur Ashe to Confederate monument avenue in Richmond. We still have a state holiday called Lee/Jackson day in honor of two revered Confederate Generals. For awhile, they combined that holiday with Martin Luther King Day. We also elected an African American Governor. Historically, the Civil War was fought over a number of issues including slavery and more importantly the idea that our nation is a union from which a state cannot opt out. I've heard rumblings recently that Massachussetts wants to secede. They pointed out that the Constitution doesn't prevent states from leaving. Funny, Massachussetts fought against that very premise in the Civil War. Perhaps Ole Reb's presence might at least make people question why the civil war was fought and not rely upon the revisionist history.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:14 pm

it real easy to criticize the old south now - but if u were living @ that time - dav, i have a feeling your favorite color would be 'gray'.

besides - all the stuff u are talking about was on the way out & less than 10-15% of the pop. actually had ownership & it was declining b/c of internal political pressures w/i the south...

how's that for being 'pc' today?
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Next

Return to Football