PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU NCAA 2004 PS2

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU NCAA 2004 PS2

Postby Pony Nation » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:40 pm

I played my buddy's copy of the game today, and it was awesome.

I gave Baylor a sound beating (42-0) at Ford, and it has our new uniforms which looked really cool.

Kincade was really quick and I loved running the ball with him; went 219 yards with 4 TD's, also threw 2 with Bartel.

This gameplay was great, can't wait to get my own copy and start a dynasty; I definitely recommend this game to anyone interested.

------------------
Go Ponies

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats." - B. C. Forbes
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Re: SMU NCAA 2004 PS2

Postby methodistmustang » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:48 am

What's the release date? I'll be out to get it immediately. I was hoping the new unis would be on it.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby Pony Nation » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:00 am

The official date is the 17th, but some people who pre-ordered in big cities got theirs yesterday (which explains why I haven't gotten my own copy yet).

You might want to check today just in case, but they will definitely be in by tomorrow.

Im just gonna stop by today and tomorrow as soon as I can, this game is awesome.

------------------
Go Ponies

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats." - B. C. Forbes
Go Ponies<P>\"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.\" - B. C. Forbes
Pony Nation

Postby SmooPower » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:07 am

I got mine yesterday for xBox. I thought our uniforms were a little too bright but maybe that is just my television. And Ford's surface is still natural, heh heh.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby Pony Nation » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:16 am

Yeah, the field is still natural, but it still looked good.

It also had us running out of the tunnel with smoke going off, which was cool to see on the game.

My only problem is that you can't use the red alternate uniforms. Your only choices are blue and white.

Still cool though.

------------------
Go Ponies

Pony Nation

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:28 pm

Somebody tell me what the deal is this stuff. Am I missing the boat on this? What equipment do you need and at what cost? Never got into video games very much, rather play ball than simulate it. Is this stuff for diehard video game lovers or what?

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 07-16-2003).]
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:32 pm

I wouldn't say it is for diehard gamers....I have a PS2, and don't play a whole lot, just occasionally on weekends, and right before football season starts when I whip out the latest version of NCAA football (still only have 2003 version) and play SMU to a national title, in as many consecutive years as possible. If you like to play occasionally, and like to play with teams you support it is a good game to get cause you can play with our Mustangs.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:48 pm

It is unbelievable how realistic this game is - you would think that you are watching TV. When you are winning - there are more fans in the stands - when you are losing - it looks like Ford Stadium when SMU plays Tulsa.

They have the SMU band down pretty good - with both Peruna and Pony Battle Cry playing at the appropriate times. Coach B. even looks like Coach B. The only thing missing is Peruna.

I just can't seem to unlock those 1980 Mustangs - as the SMU-BYU Historical game challenge is pretty hard (the hardest of all of the challenges)- I mean who can score 21 points in 2:30????

Once I have Dickerson and James unlocked . . . watch out - I can't wait to have those guys take on the 1982 Penn State team!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Nation » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:56 pm

If you're a diehard sports fan, then this game is for you. I play this game year round, especially in the off-season.

I bought my PS2 for the sole purpose of playing NCAA 2002 two years ago.

------------------
Go Ponies

Pony Nation

Postby Tradition Pony » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:04 pm

Hey Pony Nation:

Are you living in Auburn now? I live north of there. Not too many Mustangs in 'Bama unfortunately.
Tradition Pony

Postby JasonB » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:04 pm

I tooled around with the game for a bit yesterday.

The SMU roster is much more accurate, both personel and position wise, than it has been before. The only ommisions they had were Darrin Johnson and Matt Rushbrook, and I think because they have no idea what position to play them at either Image. And Francis hadn't left the team yet when the game was put together.

The individual player ratings are pretty negative, and they start us out as rated 110 in the 117 D-1A. Accurate as far as how we played last year, but I think they ding some individuals on the O-line a little harshly (although as a whole they accurately point it out as a weakness), and don't give our linebackers credit for being as good as they are. They did an accurate job though of pointing out our weaknesses at DT, WR and CB though. They pick the mustangs to finish 8th in the WAC.

As for the unis - I haven't played with SMU as the home team yet, but man, I just can't get used to those blue helmets with the white road unis...
JasonB

Postby Pony Nation » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:09 pm

Tradition Pony: Yeah, I live in Auburn. I'm the only SMU fan I know around here.

Of course, this is Auburn country Image .

------------------
Go Ponies

Pony Nation

Postby SmooPower » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:32 pm

The blue helmets are kinda unnerving but I suppose I'll get used to that in time.

Running out the tunnel was very cool...

I think one area of the game that has improved greatly is crowd reaction. I blew out Texas A&M in College Station (heh heh) and by the 4th quarter it was almost dead silent.

The Greatest Games feature is pretty cool too. It scores each game you play and if it is "great enough" (close game, goes into overtime, comeback) it keeps a record of it.

The Historical Games, damn some of those are tough - like returning the kickoff in the Stanford/Cal game.

Dynasty Mode is even improved this year - if you win enough games, you can get invited to replace a team in another conference. Image

This game is great for any college football fan.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:12 pm

I was debating about whether or not to go ahead and get 04 or wait, but if they have an option now where you can earn your way into a better conference...well....my fiance is going to be upset when I blow the money we don't have on a video game.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:26 pm

Looks like I'll be spending a little $$$ this week for this game for my PS2! I got my PS2 to get me thru the 'off season', too. Now if they'd just add Div.1-AA teams, I'd be set!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Next

Return to Football