PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor Big Boys

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Baylor Big Boys

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:54 pm

Unbelievable how Division 1A LM keep getting bigger---Baylor has GUARDS LG Akeem Rettig 6-6, 362 and RG LeQualan McDonald 6-5, 352. A second string Guard is Jacob Pittman 6-8, 333. That maybe a little to "tubby" to be as effective as you'd like at guard but who knows they may have the size to carry it-kinda unusual for that position though. They also have LT Quinton Outland 6-5,333 and RT Glenn Oskin at 6-5, 303. Looks like backup T Travis Farst 6-7, 307 could EAT himself into the line-up though. Also they have FOUR recruits who are already over 6-5+ 300+ two at 6-6 and the other 2 at 6-5.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Baylor Big Boys

Postby Pony Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:22 pm

BUT, can they move their feet or are the stuck in cement??????????
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:20 pm

Talk about that "Good Ol' Baylor Line!" OMG!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby JasonB » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:35 am

Just reading those sizes gives me flashback of that dreaded post DP game... run the ball, run the ball, run the ball all day.

One thing we have to realize is that while we are all enthusiastic about improved recruiting, and the recruiting was indeed terrific last year, most of our players were NOT recruited by BCS schools.

On offense, by my count, about 15 of our players were recruited by BCS schools, so the other 30 or so were not.

On defense, a little more than 15 were recruited by BCS schools, so the other 25 or so were not.

By "recruited" I mean that their lone BCS offer was not from Vandy or Baylor.

We are making progress, and have higher recruited players than we have in the past, but right now the majority of our players were NOT recruited by the big 12 programs. Baylor is the worst of them, but even so, it will be a tough matchup on the road, just from a perspective of depth....

Just my opinion Image.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:42 am

that's exactly right-as bad as Baylor has been in the Big 12 they have recruited at a much higher level than SMU until last year. It should be interesting-but realize that Baylor's OLM will outweigh SMU's DLM by an unbelievable 100 pounds per man. With little depth on the D-Line that is a real concern and why I don't think Baylor will be the walk in the park some on this board suggest.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:59 am

LaDanian Tomlinson's TCU class was not all that highly recruited at TCU...yet 7 were drafted and 10-12 made it to NFL rosters...

Attitude and desire overcome much.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby JayM » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:45 pm

Baylor's O line may be big, but Morriss was complaining that they're fat & out of shape.Could be about as effective as beached baby whales.
JayM
Scout Team

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:53 pm

Denial is not a river in Egypt. BIG is Big when it comes to Baylor linemen. Desire is no substitute for talent, because the other team will be motivated too. Our non-BCS status has taken a toll on our lineups. Rather than worry just about Baylor, maybe we should talk aobut Tech and OSU on our schedule too. If we have fallen behind TCU, imagine what the Big 12 will be like.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:07 pm

for the MILLIONTH time Ladanian Tomlinson was picked by one preseason recruiting service as one of the Top 20 Players in Texas-his stock dropped during recruiting season because of academic issues-TCU took a chance a scored big. To say that he wasn't highly recruited and not explain why is very deceptive.

Stallion

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:02 pm

They may only have the speed of pregnant tortises, but all they have to be able to do is fall forward about 40 times and holes may appear. 150 lbs is a lot of weight differential on the lines right BUS. That's why we need big uglies. Skill players are great, but if there are no holes and no time, they are less than effective.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby 93Mustang » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:17 pm

I agree Baylor will have more "talent" than us and it is a road game. However, unlike our our earlier post-dp Baylor asswhippings, these Baylor players have lived with the psychology of losing that pervaded Rice and post-dp SMU in the SWC. When you go winless in your conference year in and year out, you get used to losing and expect to lose. Bennett needs to get our guys completely jacked up for the Baylor game (should be easy, just tell them to go out prove to these Big 12 guys that you belong on the field with them . . .). We then have to hit them hard early and remind them that they suck - make them start to realize that this won't be a lay down. We then have to get some breaks, get an early lead, and hope we can hang on and win. The Baylor game will be very tough for us to win, but in my opinion it is the biggest game of the season for us because if we lose, we're back to a 3 win season with another zero for September. If we win, we'll have the confidence needed to win some of our tougher conference games. We need to beat Baylor to have a successful year.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:26 pm

Thanks coach.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby exbearkat » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:39 pm

I think you guys will beat Baylor.

I am actually thinking that my Bearkats have a decent chance of pulling off the upset in Waco on September 20th.
exbearkat

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:46 pm

No offense Bearkatz but I don't want Baylor to be mad when they play us. Overconfident would be nice.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:48 pm

I said LT's class at TCU

They were mostly unheralded. Fran made them work, and made them better.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Next

Return to Football