PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Milestone Post for Mr. Mustang 1965

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Milestone Post for Mr. Mustang 1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:15 pm

This is my 500th post on <A HREF="http://www.ponyfans.com." TARGET=_blank>www.ponyfans.com.</A> I realize that there are others who have gone WAY beyond this mark. Even though I did not attend SMU (although I sure wanted to!), I've loved this school all my life. It's in my blood. My parents both went to school at SMU. My father was a yell leader from 1947-48 when Doak Walker was tearing up the field. My Mom worked in Fondren Library and still works at SMU. My maternal grandmother also went to school at SMU as did my uncle. I grew up only a couple of miles north of the campus and have always felt that SMU is 'my school' because I grew up in Dallas and this is THE UNIVERSITY for the city of Dallas. I've attended hundreds of SMU football games over the years...in the Cotton Bowl, Texas Stadium, Ownby Stadium and now Ford Stadium. I've seen the good times...and the bad. Mustang Mania & the DP. Players like Jerry LeVias. Chuck Hixson. Keith Bobo. Craig James. Eric Dickerson. Hayden Fry. Forrest Gregg. Phil Bennett. The names could go on forever. They'll forever be a part of my childhood and my memories on into adulthood. I want everyone who posts here to know how much I love this school and this football team. It's been inbred into me over the years. I know the words to "Varsity" and "The SMU Loyalty Song". I went to so many Pigskin Revues during Homecoming weekends it's hard to describe how much I miss those nights at McFarlin Auditorium. I was named "Mr. Mustang 1965" during Homecoming weekend that year...by having my name drawn out of a hat...and getting to go to the game with the SMU cheerleaders and sitting on the sidelines with them to watch my Mustangs beat the tar out of the Teasips in the Cotton Bowl! I could go on forever about how much I love this school...and how much pleasure it's given to me over the years...and how much I look forward to more in the years to come. Let it never be said that Mustangs aren't loyal...whether they attended the school or not. I am so happy to have a forum like <A HREF="http://www.ponyfans.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ponyfans.com</A> to read the opinions of other Mustangs and to keep the spirit of SMU alive all year long. I look forward to a WINNING SEASON this year! Thanks to all of you for making this board FUN! GO MUSTANGS! HAIL TO THE RED AND THE BLUE! FIGHT, MUSTANGS, FIGHT!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Milestone Post for Mr. Mustang 1965

Postby PK » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:21 pm

Congrats on your 500th post. We need about 20,000 more fans just like you...well maybe not JUST like you (that would be cloning), but you get my drift. Image
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Mickey » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:33 pm

DAMN GOOD POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mickey
All-American

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:53 pm

is there anyway we can 'clone' you??? thanx so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby fan » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:56 pm

Thanks Mr. Mustang!!
fan
Varsity

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:10 am

Outstanding post! Inspiritional!

SMU's Sports Information Department could not write a better testimonial about mustang pride.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:12 am

Thanks! My 'dream job' is to be SMU's S.I.D. one of these days. Spread the word! Image

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby BornRed&Blue » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:36 am

Your post brings tears to my eyes. I did go to SMU, as did my parents, my brother, my mother's cousin, everyone in my immediate family that attended college went to SMU. There are few GRADUATES that feel the way you do, much less someone that did not even attend SMU. I think you should be awarded some kind of honorary alumni status ! ! !
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby Otto » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:48 am

By the way, MrMustang1965 - heard your call on TXCN last week when you called in to Coach Bennett. Nice plug for PonyFans.com!
Nothing like a little state-wide free exposure. Nice work - keep the faith!
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Return to Football