PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Funniest post DP moment

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

POLL: Funniest post DP moment

Postby Southland » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:38 pm

The Best...
1994 @ Baylor

On a day of swift winds, punter Anthony Scotti punts from his own 10 into the wind. A huge gust hits the stadium right as Scotti punts... the ball goes straight up in the air, bounces at the 10, then is blown out the back of the endzone for a safety. No BS; Anthony still laughs about it too.

Runner-up:
2002 v. Navy

Grass fires before the Navy game. I wasn't there, but it was a headline story on the LA Times college football page the next day. I literally fell out of my chair laughing when I read that.

The Bronze:
various

Anytime a cheerleader did a face plant trying to keep up with Peruna, as it ran across the Cotton Bowl field. It was rare at Ownby, but it happened often at that stadium for some reason.
Southland
Varsity

Re: POLL: Funniest post DP moment

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:30 am

Gotta go with the grass fire at the Navy game, too. So sad.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:44 pm

I've got to go with the time that Peruna took a "break" at midfield on the Owenby astroturf (1992) and the trainers/peruna handlers had to go out to midfield to clean up the mess.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 93Mustang » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:50 pm

You are all forgetting the "punch." I can't remember the SMU player's name, but we were playing UT at Ownby and one of our lineman punched a UT lineman in the balls and dropped him like a sack of potatos. It was hiliarious. I think the recipient of the punch was Stan Thomas.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Arkpony » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:54 pm

I vote for the "Punch"..I was there and the SMU player was thrown out of the game. When asked about it later Coach said something like "Well, we always did that in the NFL, but waited till a pileup of players so it wasn't so obvious" or words to that effect.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:11 am

Def. the Navy game, but I was just a kid when the DP was dealt. I was standing on the Navy sideline and I just remember the looks on the Navy players' faces...and the laughs. Ah geez.. that was embarrassing Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 93Mustang:
<B>You are all forgetting the "punch." I can't remember the SMU player's name, but we were playing UT at Ownby and one of our lineman punched a UT lineman in the balls and dropped him like a sack of potatos. It was hiliarious. I think the recipient of the punch was Stan Thomas.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the SMU player was Kenny Rea.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby SmooPower » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:47 am

For those of you that missed it:

<A HREF="http://www.usna-parents.org/images/2003/smufootball/fireworks.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.usna-parents.org/images/2003/smufootball/fireworks.jpg</A>
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:18 am

Geez...that's from a Naval Academy board, too! And the fireworks were set off during the daylight, too! WTF?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Greenwich Pony » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by H-E-B Mustang:
<B> I think the SMU player was Kenny Rea.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was Uzo Okeke.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Hal » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:24 pm

Nope - it was Kenny Rea who dropped Stan Thomas.
Thomas was a jerk, and that move made "Sugar" Rea one of my alltime favorite Ponies!
Hal
Varsity

Postby methodistmustang » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:42 am

It's fun to joke about this stuff sometimes..but seeing that picture of Ford on fire doesn't put me in a good mood. I'm with MrMustang...that's just sad...
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Return to Football