PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

With all the SMACK going on ... (TCU)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

With all the SMACK going on ... (TCU)

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:20 pm

- on the froggy board, it's going to make for a great game this fall...i didn't realize their hatred for us is so intense!!!! it appears most of them are always going to think that we're going to have poor to mediocre football & basketball programs? oh well, we'll see for sure...here's the link...

<A HREF="http://www.killerfrogs.com/forums2/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=8686&s=7aada3d519226556562577a6be1f6e0a" TARGET=_blank>http://www.killerfrogs.com/forums2/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=8686&s=7aada3d519226556562577a6be1f6e0a</A>
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: With all the SMACK going on ... (TCU)

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:12 pm

There are three types of Frog fans right now. 1)You have the idiots who know nothing about history or reality. 2)Then you have the blow hards who know they should fear Bennett and because of that see this as their chance to keep SMU down, for good. 3) And you have a few others like Jared, who give SMU a little credit for Ford Stadium, hiring Bennett and having a rich football tradition going back to the 30s. I think most of the vocal internet Frogs fall into #2.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smudad » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:35 am

We've had some good visits on The Blvd. with guys like NormalFrog and friends - good guys - who genuinely hope SMU regains its former football status. Of course they want to beat us. However, they see a healthy SMU as a healthy rivalry and good for TCU as well. Throw ReedFrog in there with that group. I hope we see those guys again this year.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:13 am

Hopefully we aren't 3-8 heading into the TCU game while they are 10-1 or 9-2.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby TCU_backer1 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:47 pm

I think a competitive SMU football team would be good for CUSA. As if you haven't noticed, there isn't a lot of unity on the board as to choose. I would agree with you on that. I don't think you will see teams like La. Tech, Tulsa or Rice invited to CUSA. It has already been reported on the CUSA main board, that CUSA is in talks with you already. So at least thats a positive step.

I wish SMU the best this season.
TCU_backer1
Recruit

Postby NavyCrimson » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:42 pm

THANX - TCU_backer1

i've always believed that tcu's success is good for smu & the metroplex as a whole much like ucla/usc & stanford/cal when both teams are winning.

the power of marketing!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:58 pm

SMU/TCU and Houston/Rice will always take a back seat to UT and A$M in the DFW/Houston markets, but if all four played in the same conference, we would definitely get more attention than exists today. Regardless of what conference (CUSA, WAC or SWC II) it might be, I just hope it happens...for the good of all.
Charleston Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:05 pm

cp......it will take a backseat as long as smu/tcu are NOT in the top 20 & NOT in the bcs (as long as it is around)...if this was to change - katie bar the door!!!!!!!!

NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TCU_backer1 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:36 pm

I agree... TCU/SMU will take a back seat in media coverage, due to our small alumni base as a whole. I do think you will see more coverage, at least by DMN, on CUSA if both TCU and SMU were in the same conference. They could devote all of their enery on one conference, rather than two.

I also think this UCF Marshall bs to CUSA could be interesting. I am one TCU alumni that feels academics should not come at the behest of athletics. Strong rooted football programs with academic integrity is something CUSA needs. I do feel that SMU is their on the academic integrity, and working on the athletics part.
TCU_backer1
Recruit

Postby ReedFrawg » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:37 pm

Like every school, we have our share of over-the-top blowhards and eternal optimists. I was there (up close and personal) for the 1-10 season in '97 and I'm amazed at how far we've come. Clearly, if we can do it, so can SMU. I'm looking forward to another trip to Ford and another butt-kicking by the Frogs Image Just kidding - I must be spending too much time on the FFF!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smudad:
<B>We've had some good visits on The Blvd. with guys like NormalFrog and friends - good guys - who genuinely hope SMU regains its former football status. Of course they want to beat us. However, they see a healthy SMU as a healthy rivalry and good for TCU as well. Throw ReedFrog in there with that group. I hope we see those guys again this year. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby Hal » Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:43 pm

TCU_backer1 and ReedFrawg:

You guys are a credit to your university and your teams. I'm the first to admit I like to engage in a little jawing with TCU fans (I managed to marry into a family full of Froggies - making the last few years a little tough), but I also try to include a little realism and I acknowledge TCU's success and accomplishments over the recent years. I wish more Frog fans were like you two. Good luck this year (except Nov. 29, of course!)

And while I agree with ponysnob, of course, in the idea that I hope we aren't 3-8 going into the last game, I almost hope TCU does have a great record. If we could pull off a win against a 10-1 TCU team, that would give us a huge boost going into the offseason and in the home stretch of recruiting.
Hal
Varsity

Return to Football