PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How big are Baylor & Nevada?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How big are Baylor & Nevada?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:40 pm

Assuming we have no chance of beating either TTech or Okie St, just how big are those early games with Baylor & Nevada...and can we win one or both?

I just booked a flight to Dallas for the UTEP game but my fear is that if we are 0-4 at that point, we are probably looking at something less than 15,000 for our 2nd home game of the season!

We desperately need to win at least one of those games against Baylor & Nevada to show any improvement from last season. At this point in the rebuilding process, it's all about improving every year and that means winning at least 4 games. Can we/will we do it?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How big are Baylor & Nevada?

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:53 pm

Not so fast my friend...

Tech will not be as good as last year, and we will be better...now, that's not to say that last year's close game wasn't a fluke or just good coaching (slow down the game, keep it close)...however, Tech's Defense is going to be loosey-goosey, and who knows about their QB play.

Add to the fact that Tech is historically one of the worst starting out teams, and we could have an upset (they start slow b/c no one stays in Lubbock to work out in the summer).

So, we might sneak a win there.

Bennett is hoping to be 2-2 to start the first 4.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:55 pm

And we start well? I was at the Navy game last year!
Charleston Pony

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:09 pm

Bennett's first game with two Frosh QBs? C'mon...that was a bit much to overcome. I think they will be much better prepared this year.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:22 am

I love Bennett also - but the problem with Navy was in our defense - shockingly Navy ran the option - which they have done for a billion games in a row - we acted like we were expecting a 60 pass a game team - anyway - we won't beat tech in lubbock - lets focus on beating Baylor - that will be tough - nobody wants to be embarrassed - and lets face it - they have that one circled as one of their only sure wins.
gostangs

Postby WreckEm16 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:35 am

Tech will be just as good this year as last.

And I don't see the Ponies winning. Especially in Lubbock.

Although I suppose I wouldn't count anything out, seeing as you boys gave me a heart attack last year in Dallas.

------------------
And when I die
You can bury me
In Lubbock, Texas,
In my jeans.

-Mac Davis
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:25 am

WreckEm: Just keep thinking along those lines and everything will be just fine!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:24 am

forget the Navy game...what did we start out last year...was it 0-7???

Obviously, everyone associated with this program and all it's supporters are hoping (expecting?) improvement from last year's nightmare, but let's not get overly optimistic and expect a win on the road against a team that finished strong last year.

SMU's program will turn the corner when our guys finally accomplish that big upset. Certainly TTech and/or Okie St would be those games early this year...but I'm certainly not going to get my hopes up.

I liken the Baylor and Nevada games to the Navy & Nevada games of last year. Winning those two last year would have made a huge difference and sandwiched in and around TTech and Okie St, those games are HUGE for us this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:35 am

Hey gostangs, Regarding the defense, remember Navy had a new coach and changed the offense from prior years.

I was calling for Bartell in that game after we got behind. Afterall he was supposed to be the passing QB. Wallis was 12-31 with two ints. Bennett had picked his horse and he was hoping that things would get better. I guess that is a good thing compared to Cavan's QB switching of years past. Bennett now has a better understanding of the players.

Also in that game remember that Rutledge dropped two punts giving Navy great field position. He was forced into that service after the Comet went out, having never done it in a game before.

Things are a LOT different this season.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Return to Football