PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BCS won't consider playoff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BCS won't consider playoff

Postby fan » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:18 pm

No real surprise here. The joke is what the Penn State president said. What he should have said is "I'm a money hungry S*B and really don't want any other school to get any more money."
This is why the NCAA must be the one to sponsor a national football championship with a 16 team playoff.

<A HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2003-07-21-bcs-playoff_x.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2003-07-21-bcs-playoff_x.htm</A>

let's all cast our vote for the 16 team playoff!!

[This message has been edited by fan (edited 07-21-2003).]
fan
Varsity

Re: BCS won't consider playoff

Postby WreckEm16 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:53 pm

There should definitely be a playoff in college football. Keep the bowls and let them host the different rounds (the more prestigious the bowl, the higher up the ladder they host).

Everyone wins. Especially the fans.
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:54 am

Only the threat of a law suit or congressional action is ever going to force the BCS cartel to open up for a true playoff system like every sport in all the NCAA divisions presently have ecept Div. 1-A football. The BCS school presidents are fund raisers not educators. Their bottom line is to keep what they have and try to get more. Sweet reason has nothing to do with what happens next.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:01 am

Does a playoff really matter? Who would pick the teams, the BCS-weighted formulas?

Jeez, you'd have 14 teams from BCS schools, and then 2 from the other 5 conferences, pitted no doubt against the Top2 teams, furthering the notion that the other 5 conferences cannot compete, even though those other 2 may have been able to compete with say with teams 4,5 or something.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Greenwich Pony » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:25 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
<B>Does a playoff really matter? Who would pick the teams, the BCS-weighted formulas?

Jeez, you'd have 14 teams from BCS schools, and then 2 from the other 5 conferences, pitted no doubt against the Top2 teams, furthering the notion that the other 5 conferences cannot compete, even though those other 2 may have been able to compete with say with teams 4,5 or something.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All conference champions should be included in the system (a la BBall) but the at-large slots would likely be present BCS schools. But that's better and more equitable than the system presently in place, and frankly would make for interesting watching. The small schools getting the occasional upset is what makes March Madness so compelling. The same dynamic could work here.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:34 pm

What a change and breath of fresh air a playoff system with slots for each conference. That would expode the idea of creating "super-conferences" because then they would be under-represented. It might cause some teams to switch to the less competitive conferences to have a better shot at the play-off.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:50 pm

Don't uou love the way the question was phrased'Keep the bowls with a smaller playoff?". Why not keep all the bowls and make them all part of the playoffs. Is there a bowl which wouldn't do better as a part of the national championship playoff? Let's get votes from the Liberty, Cotton, Gator, Peach, Humanitarian etc. ALL BOWLS WOULD BENEFIT. The amount of money raised by a 32 team playoff would be unbelievable. It is possible that even the Nat'l Champs would make more money than now if they had only an even share of all the money with all D-1 teams. If there was a progression for $ for each round, everyone would make more. Even with 32 teams IF the regular season was shortened to 10 games and conference championships eliminated, only 8 teams would play more games than now. The 2 in the championship would play only 15 games compared to 13 now.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:10 pm

Of course they won't consider a playoff. The BCS schools (and the other schools in their conferences) make too much money to start sharing. Breaking up the BCS will be harder than deciphering all the conference realignment talk.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:14 pm

you're exactly right!!!!!!!

the f%^^#s are forcing a standoff in court...inevitably...

we'er having a mexican standoff here & we're going to see which one blinks first!!!

i just hope our side doesn't back down!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:15 pm

This just doesn't seem to me to be a very complex issue to resolve. The "big boys, aka, the BCS schools" simply need to look at how they've appeased the rest of the Division I bball schools and go from there.

I'm not talking about a system that allows over 300 schools to compete for the national title, but certainly a system that allows legitimate (however that is defined) I-A programs to compete and share reasonably (not equally) in the pie. The big boys dominate the TV networks throughout the regular season in bball as they do in football, but manage to hold an "all inclusive" playoff (with the preliminary excitement of championship week)to determine a true national champion. How is it that I-AA can hold a 16 team playoff but I-A can't? Aren't those I-AA schools also concerned about the welfare of their student-athletes? It seems to me that I-A football could also have it's "championship week" to determine the contenders for the title run. Whether that would mean conference championship games, or games pitting champions from different leagues in "play-in" games, it just takes a little creativity and effort. Give the 5 BCS champions a "bye" into an 8 team playoff, with 6 others competing in "play-in" games to round out the field of 8 if need be.

You could still play the meaningless bowl games (sort of the football substitute for the NIT) to keep everybody happy.

Hopefully, something better will come from all of this. These are supposed to be bright individuals making these decisions, right?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby fan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:27 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is the NCAA which must sponsor a playoff. The BCS really has nothing to do with this whole deal. If the NCAA (Miles Brand and Co.) would step up to the plate the whole issue would be solved. Sure, he needs support from the college presidents but it looks like he's already got 44 on his side. He just needs a few more to tip the balance.
fan
Varsity

Return to Football