PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will we pay or not?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Will we pay or not?

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:35 pm

I dont think any tears are going to be shed, but the Big East is not gonna invite a lawsuit either. Is there really any difference between UCF and USF to them? And another major assumption you have made was the 10 team champ game would pass. No assurances there. When I add it all up, I am betting that CUSA will survive in a legal form. That will be meaningless in some respects because tv contracts will be void, but what will not be void are exits fees paid by departing schools and NCAA tourney units from basketball, which is the real key as I see it. SMU will be in no position to play hardball. Just my opinion, but I'd hate to see us left at the alter again.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Will we pay or not?

Postby Southland » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>I dont think any tears are going to be shed, but the Big East is not gonna invite a lawsuit either. And another major assumption you have made was the 10 team champ game would pass. No assurances there. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couple of questions…

It won't involve the Big East, so who are the CUSA schools going to sue?
If they sue schools forming a new partnership, they will be laughed out of any court in America, particularly since these schools have already made their intensions public. The Big East suit (which is where I’m assuming you get the lawsuit angle) against the ACC alleges conspiracy to destroy partnership. Can’t claim conspiracy if the commissioner of CUSA has already been privileged to information about the new conference launch. Again, apples to oranges…

Who is going to object to a reduction in the championship game minimum?
Big XII, Big East, SEC and Big Ten have already said they won't... Pac 10 and Mountain West stand to gain a lot… MAC, who will probably lose 5 members to the D1A status rules, could rebuild to 10 pretty easily…

===
not being hostle, just don't understand what the assumptions you're making are based on
Southland
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football