PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

which game do you see smu having a better chance of winning

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

which game do you see smu having a better chance of winning

Postby roddog » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:53 pm

the tech game, or the tcu game?
roddog

Re: which game do you see smu having a better chance of winning

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:55 pm

BOTH!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 93Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:03 pm

They'll both be tough and we'll be at least 10+ underdogs in both, but TCU is the more winnable game for us. Winning in Lubbock is very tough - just ask A&M fans. Moreover, we've been a very slow starting team for the last decade or so and usually finish strong. Finally, as Stallion has often pointed out, post-dp, we've never beaten Tech. - we have beaten TCU post-dp. I hope we win both, but even a split would be huge.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:11 pm

Since WHEN did Mustangs (that's YOU!) ever doubt your team? I'm an optimist! I have faith! I go into each and every game believing that my team - S.M.U. - will WIN! It saddens me to think that there are those of you on this board who DOUBT that the Mustangs will not win some games this season. Where did this DOUBTFULNESS come from? I ALWAYS BELIEVE THAT THE MUSTANGS WILL WIN...NO MATTER WHAT THE POINT SPREAD IS OR WHAT THE CRITICS/REPORTERS HAVE TO SAY BEFOREHAND! It's time to wake up, fellow Mustangs! GO INTO EACH GAME WITH THE FAITH AND BELIEF THAT WE'LL WIN! DO NOT DOUBT! IT'S CALLED 'SPIRIT'...AND IT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU'RE SITTING IN THE STANDS AND WHEN YOU'RE A PLAYER ON THE FIELD! DO YOU THINK THE PLAYERS GO INTO THE GAME WITH THE SAME THOUGHTS THAT SOME OF YOU ON THIS BOARD HAVE ABOUT THE GAMES? I HOPE NOT! IF SO, IT'S TIME TO DISBAND THE PROGRAM...PLAYERS GO INTO A GAME TO 'WIN'! WE, AS FANS, HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME DETERMINATION...OR WE'LL NEVER HAVE A 'WINNING SEASON'! WAKE UP, MUSTANGS! IT'S TIME TO GET OVER THE POST-DP BLUES! WE'RE GOING TO WIN...AND IT STARTS WITH YOU GETTING THE RIGHT 'ATTITUDE' ABOUT OUR TEAM!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:15 pm

My feeling is that if we have 5 or more wins by the time we play TCu we will win. Otherwise, not.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby roddog » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:16 pm

everyone is entitled to your opinion, i think smu will score against tech, i was impressed with smu's running game last year v tech, it should be a decent game, but tech has so much better passing game and is always 14 pts better at home, i say they win by at least 20
roddog

Postby OldPony » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:21 pm

While we have appeared to be slow starting and strong finishig, look at the schedule. That is the main difference. This team should win4. Maybe 5 and 6 will be a large success.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:41 pm

TCU has a pretty easy schedule this year and CUSA is not that tough this year comparatively. So, if they happen to come to Dallas undefeated, they will have visions of a New Year's day bowl in their eyes and will be up for us. On the other hand if they suffer a couple of conference losses and are looking at the GMAC Bowl, they might very well be ripe for an upset. So I'll put that one at 50/50. Tech on the first game of the year is a crap shoot. We won't surprise them defensively this year, so I expect them to score. They play better at home. The question is whether we'll surprise them offensively. I say our freshman kicker wins it in the last two minutes and Peruna gets some horseybooty.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SmooPower » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:52 pm

SMU will defeat TT by a final score of 42 to 0. That is a zero with a "z".

SMU will defeat TCU by a score of 77 to -2. If the refs do not allow negative points, then just make that 79 to 0.

MrMustang1965 has my kind of attitude. I expect us to win every game!

Maybe we can get a little of that 1935 magic going on and have TCU and SMU face off undefeated at the end of the season. Image
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Smoo Power:
<B>SMU will defeat TT by a final score of 42 to 0. That is a zero with a "z".

SMU will defeat TCU by a score of 77 to -2. If the refs do not allow negative points, then just make that 79 to 0.

MrMustang1965 has my kind of attitude. I expect us to win every game!

Maybe we can get a little of that 1935 magic going on and have TCU and SMU face off undefeated at the end of the season. Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SMOO POWER: YOU ROCK! GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:18 pm

Reality: if SMU played Tech or TCU tommorrow we would be at a minimum 18-21 point underdogs based on playing a Top 20 like caliber TCU in Dallas and Tech on the road.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Vitale » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:25 pm

Actually, I'd like to see the -2 on the scoreboard. I can't say I know how to arrange that, but that would be a picture to have.

As for the games, the skeptics out there are going to assail me for being insane, but I honestly believe both games are winnable. Of course, they're both VERY losable, too, so don't accuse me of hitting the pipe before typing this. But consider:

We played Tech really well last year. We hung with the Raiders until late in the game, and that was with a very minimal passing threat, the long TD to Cody Cardwell notwithstanding. Both teams will present new starting QBs when the teams meet up, but Symons will not present as different a look for the TT offense as Bartel will for the SMU offense. Tech basically will have to prepare for a completely different team. With Bartel at the helm, we will pass much better, especially with Comet back and with two enormous tight ends in Johnson and Kennedy. Our offensive success will depend in large part on how quickly they develop their understanding of the offense and their roles in it. And until I see who replaces Aaron Hunt and Lawrence Flugence, I have to believe their defense drops off, at least a little.

As for TCU: the game is always hard to predict, because of the rivalry and emotions involved. Tye Gunn got some significant playing time last year and will have the entire season under his belt this year, so don't expect a major dropoff from Sean Stilley. However, TCU lost its two best receivers in Madise and Dunbar - the Pony killer. And although he got overlooked in the draft, MLB LaMarcus McDonald was the heart and soul of that defense that's been so good the last couple of years. They still have a lot of talent on defense, and a couple of the new LBs are supposed to be really good, but McDonald will be hard to replace. I see this one as a low-scoring slugfest.

Again - I'm not PREDICTING two wins here. Just suggesting that these games are not out of reach.
Vitale
All-American

Postby BornRed&Blue » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:59 pm

MrMustang & Smoo Power -

I'm with ya ! WE WILL WIN BOTH GAMES ! ! ! If you don't believe it, no one else will either !

To all the rest of you -

Unfortunately, my daughter attends Tech, but because of that, I lived through both the A&M and Texas games with her last year (yes, we are female football fans). Tech BELIEVED they would beat those teams and THEY DID !!! And they beat A&M at Kyle Field. I got to see Symons play against Baylor last year, he's tall and a strong passer, but does follow the play book set up for Kingbury, so he ought to be easy to read, especially since the Mustangs should have some film to review by Aug.30th.

So . . . for all the doubters out there, we can beat Tech at SBCJones, and we can definitely beat TCU !
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby WreckEm16 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:22 pm

"I have to believe their defense drops off, at least a little."

How is this possible? I have to believe that the Red Carpet cannot possibly get worse.

But yeah, this is an interesting question. Allow me to take it a step further: rank the following teams on how likely you think it is for SMU to win (1 is the highest, 4 is the lowest).

Okie St.
Tech
Baylor
TCU
And when I die<BR>You can bury me<BR>In Lubbock, Texas,<BR>In my jeans.<P>-Mac Davis
WreckEm16
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:33 am

WreckEm: Put a "1" next to each of them! 'Nuff said!

------------------
MrMustang1965

Next

Return to Football