PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

S.M.U. SPIRIT: WHAT GIVES?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

S.M.U. SPIRIT: WHAT GIVES?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:14 pm

Since WHEN did Mustangs (that's YOU!) ever doubt your team? I'm an optimist! I have faith! I go into each and every game believing that my team - S.M.U. - will WIN! (And I didn't even go to school here!) It saddens me to think that there are those of you on this board who DOUBT that the Mustangs will not win some games this season. Where did this DOUBTFULNESS come from? I ALWAYS BELIEVE THAT THE MUSTANGS WILL WIN...NO MATTER WHAT THE POINT SPREAD IS OR WHAT THE CRITICS/REPORTERS HAVE TO SAY BEFOREHAND! It's time to wake up, fellow Mustangs! GO INTO EACH GAME WITH THE FAITH AND BELIEF THAT WE'LL WIN! DO NOT DOUBT! IT'S CALLED 'SPIRIT'...AND IT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU'RE SITTING IN THE STANDS AND WHEN YOU'RE A PLAYER ON THE FIELD! DO YOU THINK THE PLAYERS GO INTO THE GAME WITH THE SAME THOUGHTS THAT SOME OF YOU ON THIS BOARD HAVE ABOUT THE GAMES? I HOPE NOT! IF SO, IT'S TIME TO DISBAND THE PROGRAM...PLAYERS GO INTO A GAME TO 'WIN'! WE, AS FANS, HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME DETERMINATION...OR WE'LL NEVER HAVE A 'WINNING SEASON'! WAKE UP, MUSTANGS! IT'S TIME TO GET OVER THE POST-DP BLUES! WE'RE GOING TO WIN...AND IT STARTS WITH YOU GETTING THE RIGHT 'ATTITUDE' ABOUT OUR TEAM!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: S.M.U. SPIRIT: WHAT GIVES?

Postby roddog » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:18 pm

its called being a realist
roddog

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:21 pm

No, roddog, it's called being a half-assed fan.

GO MUSTANGS!
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:21 pm

roddog: reality comes AFTER a game...not before it. Remember these words: "On any given Saturday..." Frankly, I wouldn't want your negativity permeating through Ford Stadium on gameday. Are you truly a Mustang?

Ponyboy: Thanks for your reply, too.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 07-23-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby roddog » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:30 pm

i am a tech grad who lives in the metroplex, i follow tcu and smu and all the old swc foes, i do like the new ford field
roddog

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:47 pm

Hang in there, MM65 - some of us are as unfailingly loyal as you are. I always assume we're going to win, and if we don't it hurts, but it sure beats predicting doom.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by roddog:
<B>i am a tech grad who lives in the metroplex, i follow tcu and smu and all the old swc foes</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Say no more...you're a wolf in sheep's clothing. You're NOT a Mustang! It's obvious you're here to spread negativity in advance of our season and our game against TT on Aug. 30th in Lubbock. I am coming to Lubbock with the attitude that the SMU Mustangs are gonna WIN!

------------------

MrMustang1965

Postby roddog » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:57 pm

wolf in sheep clothing............lol

why do so many fans from small schools think that anyone from another school visiting anothers board is there to start trouble, i am on the frog forum all the time in support of smu going into a conf. like cusa or one that will allow for them to better their program

dont hate Image
roddog

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by roddog:
<B>
why do so many fans from small schools think that anyone from another school visiting anothers board is there to start trouble, i am on the frog forum all the time in support of smu going into a conf. like cusa or one that will allow for them to better their program

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want us to 'better our program', I would request that you have a positive attitude about The Mustangs! Shouldn't you be saying that we're going to win ALL of our games? (I can understand that you would not say that against your alma mater, though... Image ) I just don't like it when folks from other schools come to another school's board and say 'negative' things...it's kind of like going to someone's house by way of an invitation and then when you get there you start criticizing them, their kids and their interior decorator! It's just not good manners.

You also say "fans from 'small schools'"...well, yeah, we DO get defensive when folks from BIG schools get on our boards and start saying negative things. It's kind of like the big school bully throwing sand in the younger kid's face. Of course, the younger kid eventually grows up and kicks the bully's [deleted]!

------------------

MrMustang1965

Postby 93Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:39 pm

I disagree MM65. I'm a huge SMU fan and I buy season tickets, attend all home games and some road games, bring my family to help boost attendence, give to the Mustang Club every year, and generally support the school and its teams. However, I don't blindly believe we're going to win every game. That's ridiculous. Do I go to most games, want SMU to win, and root for them to win? Absolutely. Does it put me in a bad mood even when we lose to a prohibitive favorite? Absolutely. But I do reserve the ability to utilize common sense when supporting my school and stating that I think we are to win every game we play is just silly. I try not to be too negative, but when arguing sports opinions, I like my statements to have some credibility.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:12 pm

I proudly proclaim that I've had enough of the blathering optimism we've seen over the last 13 years of this program-this lack of touch with reality has HURT this program-Instead of dealing with the ridiculous problems created by Ken Pye(many of which still remain) too many of this board didn't ask the rationales, purposes and most importantly the effects this school's policies would have on the on-field performance and resulting self imposed destruction of our athletic program. Believe me-anyone who is familiar with the requirements of running a successful athletic program at a small private school in Dallas Texas could have predicted SMU's pathetic performance over the last 15 years the day Ken Pye first announced his Model of athletics. So go ahead and pat yourself on the back about what a great fan you are for believing in fairy tales-if you have had the same philosophy for the last 15 years then you have been and are a part of the problem. That being said THERE IS NO ONE THAT CHEERS HARDER FOR SMU AT FOOTBALL GAMES and very few that have seen more SMU games over the last 39 years-since I have missed ZERO home games during that period. If that's what you mean then I'm right there with you. But to suggest this silly, head in the sand attitude that a fan can't legitimate complain that SMU has tied the hands of the athletic department up to and including the present date is simply indulging in a fantasy in which I refuse to participate.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BornRed&Blue » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:12 pm

Dear 93Mustang & Stallion-
And in defense of MrMustang1965-
I too have a "blind optimism" that SMU will win, because SOMEONE HAS TO! That is not to say that myself or MM65 don't know about all the stupid decisions that have been made by the school, and yes, the Pye era killed us and have had terrible residual effects (I nearly died when he took the pony off the floor at Moody and put that pitiful rendition of our grand Dallas Hall), because I do and I think MM65 does too.

But, I want the fans and alumnae of SMU to have a more unconditional approach to how they talk up SMU Athletics, like the fans of other teams we all know and come in contact with daily. I constantly hear SMU grads downplaying their team, our possibilites, and their belief in our success. I challenge you to find a Texas or A&M fan that would EVER say anything disparaging about their team, even when they are losing, or having a bad year, they NEVER lose confidence and don't care what anyone else says about how they feel. THAT IS HOW I WANT MUSTANG FANS TO FEEL AND ACT AND TALKIN' UP THEIR PONIES ! ! ! We are little and we are a small fan base, but we can be just as enthusiastic and vocal. TCU fans are really showing us up, they are rabid about their frogs. LET'S GO MUSTANGS, FIRE UP ! ! !
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:26 am

I'm not talking about the political implications of what's happened at this school over the past decade or two. I'm just talking about good ol' school spirit! BornRed&Blue hit the nail on the head with her comments. She and I see eye-to-eye on our Mustangs! If EVERYONE who walked thru Ford Stadium or Moody Coliseum's gates went in with the attitude that WE'RE GOING TO WIN...GODALMIGHTY, WE WILL!

Do you think Coach Bennett tells the players in the locker room before a game that there's a chance that they may not win??? HELL NO!

We, as fans of SMU, ***MUST*** have the SAME ATTITUDE! I do NOT go into an SMU football game thinking..."Well, here comes (fill in the blank of whatever school we're playing) and we're probably not going to win this one."...I go into an SMU football game thinking..."Here come those (fill in the blank of whatever school we're playing) and, by God, we're going to kick their [deleted] today!"

COME ON, MUSTANGS! GET READY FOR SMU FOOTBALL 2003! WE'RE GONNA KICK *EVERYONE'S* BUTT THIS YEAR!

When you see a crazy fan standing up in his seat at Ford Stadium or at whatever away game we're playing, yelling and screaming for his Mustangs to "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!", you'll know it's me! I hope to God the rest of you will get up out of your seats, follow my lead and cheer/yell/scream for our MUSTANGS!

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby PonySnob » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:47 am

Right on Stallion!!! How many more years of false hope are the SMU faithful (the numbers get smaller every year) going to have to endure? How many more losing seasons are there going to be before we are banished to a level of competition lower than Div 1? How many more games are going to be played before a nearly empty stadium? Certainly we are better off today than we were in the early 90's with our facility, head coach, and the easing of requirements for getting athletes into school, now it is time for better performance on the field! When can SMU fans expect to compete for conference championships? TCU fans aren't talking about how a 4 or 5 win season is progress but rather will they win 10 or 11 games and who will they play in their bowl game. When will SMU fans be able to have those expectations? Come on Phil, get us there soon!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ponyte » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:41 am

There is the possible (MM65) and the probable (Stallion). Both are important. One is needed to believe that anything can happen. The odds don’t dictate results. One is needed to improve the odds. And both are needed by SMU at this time.

The DP didn't kill football, SMU (in particular Pye) killed football. We imposed such impossible conditions on our team post DP as to decrease the probability of winning and expand the realm of the possible (but unlikely) to win.

We are now addressing the issue of improving our odds of winning but it will take time.

We need those that are fanatics and those that are pragmatic.
ponyte

Next

Return to Football