PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

realignment reality

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

realignment reality

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:06 pm

Not to be a pessimist, but I really don't think we should get our hopes up for a CUSA spot or a new regional league. Shoot me down if you like, but the reason is that 3 of the CUSA's basketball only schools St Louis, DePaul and Charlotte are going nowhere. They will not be invited to the Big East offshoot most likely because of geography; Dayton, Umass, and several others make more sense. So, after Louisville, Cincy, Marquette and Army leave CUSA, it will be left with 8 football members and 3 more olympic sport members. At that point, I think the obvious thing to do is add one all-sports member to get 9 for football (ideal scheduling) and 12 for two olympic sports divisions. Look for Marshall or UCF to get the spot in the Eastern side based on their recent football respectability. Here's what they end up with:

West: TCU, Houston, Tulane, Memphis, St Louis, DePaul

East: East Carolina, UAB, South Florida, Southern Miss, Charlotte and Marshall/UCF.

I don't see a spot for us unless they get whacky and go to 15 all sports with 12 football bringing SMU, Rice and Tulsa into the picture. Don't count on it. Go WAC.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 07-25-2003).]
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: realignment reality

Postby Southland » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:14 pm

I like your rationale, but the Atlantic 10 Commissioner already has said his conference would replace any schools that were lost to the Big East.

Clearly, DePaul, Charlotte and St. Louis would be top candidates to fill any void.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:19 pm

I know you would call me on that Southland...good point. DePaul would probably make much more sense than SLU or Charlotte in the A10, but the reason I think they all might stay with CUSA is entrance fees to the A10, walking away from alot of NCAA bball money in CUSA the next several years, and the presence of Memphis hoops might be enough hook for them to prefer not moving.
Hoop Fan

Postby EastStang » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:36 pm

I would think the A10 would look more to UNCC because you geography. They already go down to Richmond, but Chicago would be a hike for many of the schools. They could swing to Richmond and its about a three hour drive further south to hit Charlotte. But they'd have to fly to Chicago.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:14 pm

we could get left out but the BE appears to be leaning toward a 9 team conference to even out home and away schedule. That leaves on more spot most likely. SMU starts out the race with far more history and ties to CUSA-assuming we had accomplished anything in the last 15 years we should have TCU, Houston and Tulane in our back pockets. The fact is that Marshall and UCF if they don't go to the BE are going to have finding votes from Southern schools thousands of miles away. Fans on these boards don't vote for expansion University Presidents do. I guarantee you Marshall already has 1 No vote in Tulane and SMU has a Yes vote. 1-2 more No votes would veto Marshall and that's a possibility because of their academics
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:44 pm

I still think Navy will be given serious BE consideration over Memphis and ECU, so I don't assume there will be an extra spot in CUSA. As for Tulane, I agree with you on how they would likely vote, but the lynchpin will be Memphis. Do they go east or west with their key vote and do they let football strength dictate over basketball/all sports? I don't know, but my guess is Memphis will vote with the East. TCU might not even vote for us, I don't say that based on the Frog board, rather the tone of the comments made by Copeland and Hyman in the papers.
Hoop Fan

Postby Southland » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>I know you would call me on that Southland...good point. DePaul would probably make much more sense than SLU or Charlotte in the A10, but the reason I think they all might stay with CUSA is entrance fees to the A10, walking away from alot of NCAA bball money in CUSA the next several years, and the presence of Memphis hoops might be enough hook for them to prefer not moving. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll wait and see...

Critical dates according to Tranghese

Mid-August: Big East Presidents meet to decide on future alignment for conference (Big East Alliance, split into two conferences, etc.)

by January: Big East adds schools to fill out the alignment

by April: NCAA rules on 10-school championship game

by June 30: final school partnerships formed
Southland
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:29 pm

Has it been set that the NCAA will take as long as April to rule on the 10 team appeal? If so, I wonder if that pushes the BE decision until then.
Hoop Fan

Postby Southland » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>Has it been set that the NCAA will take as long as April to rule on the 10 team appeal? If so, I wonder if that pushes the BE decision until then.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering the BCS contract ends in 2005, typical protocal for a sports television patnership would be to officially negotiate the extension in late 2004 (for a contract that ends in January of 2006).

However, informal talks would begin 6 months prior to the official negotiations (basically consultants on both sides going back and forth); Big East will need some direction by the time the informal talks begin, so they can begin serving the network consultants some northeastern Kool-Aid.

Title game decision (mid article)

<A HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/acc/2003-07-22-title-game-acc_x.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/acc/2003-07-22-title-game-acc_x.htm</A>

Tranghese statements on timeline was in an AP report where he announced he would step down if the Big East broke in half.
Southland
Varsity

Postby No Cal Pony » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:58 pm

Hoop Fan. As I've mentioned elsewhere, don't be so sure to count out ecu. They are pushing big. However, let's just hope the best for us.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby OlePony » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:19 pm

Pay no attention to b'ball. The champs of this b'ball league as exists will still get a tourney berth. Football $ are driving this. The main reason for a 12 team league is a Championship game. That will bring more TV money than any match-up of any two teams either existing or proposed. It also helps against further raids by other conferences. Marshll is viewed as a renegade program with no redeeming qualities except a pretty good football team. Not good enough to offset other negatives though IMHO.
OlePony
Recruit

Return to Football