PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Turf

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Turf

Postby Webmaster » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:38 pm

smumustangs.com has the latest photo of the turf progression up on their site. Almost complete!

Here's the link:
<A HREF="http://www.smumustangs.com/facilities/fordstadium/aturf/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smumustangs.com/facilities/fordstadium/aturf/</A>
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: New Turf

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:42 pm

Hmmm.... Comparing it with the Ford Stadium Inaugural Game photo on my office wall, this blue is way too light. In fact, the OLD end zone paint matches the NEW uniform (and I guess vice-versa).

Also, from a purely asthetic standpoint, the thinner red outline (ala the Inaugural Game again) looks much better than this lettering too.

Hey, you can't please everyone.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:44 pm

It does look good, but the blue looks more royal in the 7/23 than even before. I suppose we'll get used to it, but the new navy helmets are closer to black than royal blue. I don't see any WAC logos! No logos of any kind on the the 30's?
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:36 pm

Not needed at this time. I think the logos are very difficult to put down and or change.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:47 pm

Bus, what do you mean by 'not needed'? I am quite sure the logos would be hard to change which is why I find it interesting/funny that they are missing.
Hoop Fan

Postby JasonB » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:12 pm

Honestly, I think it looks pretty decent.

- I think when games are shown on TV, it isn't going to look like traditional astroturf. For a comparison, if you look at the new field at Giants stadium (I have been watching the Metrostars play MLS games on TV), it really looks like they are playing on a grass field.

- I like how the field looks next to the grass hill, hard to tell what is grass and what isn't.

- The first thing I thought of when I saw that blue in the endzone was Ownby. Weren't the endzones that same color there?

- At least now we can launch fireworks away from the hill Image.
JasonB

Postby hpfan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:37 pm

The field will get darker once the black colored rubber pellets are installed below the long fibers. The fiber is currently layind down as well which picks up more sunlight. Once the finishing touches are in it should darked just like it did at Highland park..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:49 pm

The BLUE is MUCH more navy than the pictures suggest...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:09 am

BornRed&Blue and I made a trek over to Ford today to check out the new turf. AWESOME! You've got to feel this turf to really appreciate its uniqueness. Asst. Coach Joe Sawyer (Defense) was down on the field at the time and told us that the players are really excited about playing and practicing on the turf. He said there's a good chance that the artificial turf will also be put down on the practice field. Earlier today (Saturday) there were numerous potential future Mustangs from high schools around the state who were treated to a meal and tours of Ford Stadium and S.M.U., courtesy of the team and coach Bennett and staff. The field looks AWESOME and, yes, the red Mustang is at center field. As for the controversial endzone 'blue'...BornRed&Blue and I think it looks just fine. It's the 'blue' that we've grown up with all these years...no, it's not the real 'dark blue' of the new uniforms...but as long as our Mustangs are in the end zone more often than the competition...WHO CARES? GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Buddha » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>.... Earlier today (Saturday) there were numerous potential future Mustangs from high schools around the state who were treated to a meal and tours of Ford Stadium and S.M.U., courtesy of the team and coach Bennett and staff.... </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any idea who some of those players were? Where they go to school? Positions? Size? Speed? Stats?
Buddha
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:24 pm

Sorry, Buddha. Image Coach Sawyer was on his way to Coach Bennett's house for a 'follow-up' BBQ with the other coaches and I didn't have time to ask him. However, I can tell you this: ALL of the tables in Heritage Hall were set up to accomodate, I'd say, about 100 people. Don't know if it was just players or if their parents and coaches were with them, too. Maybe someone in the AD's office could fill us in. I'll see if I can get in contact with someone on Monday for more info.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:04 pm

In ref. to the above post, check out the 'recruiting' message board for more info about the 'mini-camp' that was held on Saturday, July 26.

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby Roach » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>Maybe someone in the AD's office could fill us in.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seriously doubt it (as much as I'd like to hear their names, impressions, etc.) No university staff or personnel is allowed to comment on players who might be recruited, and I assume that includes players who attend camps - even if the school has no intention of recruiting those players.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby WorldStang » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:35 am

Don't post too often.. but read just about everyday on here. Quiet observer.. but wanted to fill-in some info here.

The stadium lights were on last night.. so I took it upon myself to sneak into the stadium to touch the new surface and check it out first-hand.

1. The endzones are plenty dark blue.. not the royal as they first appeared. The pictures don't really represent the true color. Keep in mind also that they could have been darkened in the last few days because the small rubber type pellets that are in the field are black.. which has possibly contributed in darkening the endzone.

2. The acutual surface is really nice.. almost spongy. The players will be able to wear the same cleets used with grass.. no turf shoes. I'll be really curious to see how this surface plays wet.. might slow things down more than grass given the sand. I could be wrong.. but see this surface playing slower than natural grass overall.. hopefully not, given some of our speed.

Those lights on last night got me very hyped for Sept 20.. cannot wait for that first one to be played their this year.

BTW.. have a cousin playing at Baylor and he's told me that the team is very unorganized with this new coaching staff. He doesn't see them winning many games.. but knows how SMU has them circled as a big game. He's also friends with 2 players on the ponies and is wishing he had gone to SMU more and more. Predicting a huge win in Waco.

Always entertaining to read.. especially the ones that think they are "in the know" on this board.. ie Stallion; interesting ways to stir the board for reactions

[This message has been edited by WorldStang (edited 07-28-2003).]
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Return to Football