PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

On the Trail with Mr. Mustang 1965

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

On the Trail with Mr. Mustang 1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:56 pm

Fellow Mustangs: I'm going to be traveling to Greensboro, North Carolina next week, starting Wednesday morning, via automobile. My route will take me from Dallas, TX to Shreveport, LA to Jackson, MS, to Birmingham, AL, to Atlanta, GA, Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NC and then Greensboro, NC. I have to be in Greensboro by Saturday so it's a 'quick trip' but if any of you live along this route, I'd appreciate suggestions on good restaurants (not too pricey!) and interesting sights to see, if time permits. Thanks! And, as always, GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: On the Trail with Mr. Mustang 1965

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:34 pm

Well, I can't tell you where to stop, but I can tell you where to avoid. When I was a junior (I think) my roommate and one of my fraternity brothers made a roadtrip along that route. When we were approaching Jackson, Miss., my fraternity brother pleaded for a pitstop. We found one of those rest stop areas just outside (west) of Jackson (I forget what that highway is, but there's really only one that goes that route). Not sure what time it was (we left Dallas around 11 p.m., so I guess it was .... 4 or 5 a.m. maybe?) but needless to say we were the only ones around. He jumped out and ran for the .... "facilities" - my roommate and I weren't as desperate so we laughed at him and took our time. When we got in there, he was nowhere to be seen. Turns out he was in such a rush that he'd raced into the women's room, figuring there wasn't anyone around, so what difference would it make? When my roommate and I started to head back to the truck, we found our friend in handcuffs, trying to explain himself to a state trooper. He explained that there was a .... pressing need, so to speak, and that he really hadn't caused any harm, etc. The trooper was not amused. We assured him that our friend wasn't dangerous or drunk and that if he'd let us slide, he'd never see our faces again. He told us to "git on, before we have us a misunderstanding." Rather than challenge his grammer (my roommate suggested a few miles down the road that the trooper must have been the valedictorian at either Mississippi State or TCU) or give him the chance to change his mind, we ran for the truck and "gitted" on. (And what is the past tense of the verb "to git"?)

So avoid that rest stop. You'll recognize the trooper if you see him - he bears a striking resemblance to Col. Sanders, or maybe Mark Twain. Either way, he should not be allowed to carry a gun.

[This message has been edited by Horseshoe (edited 07-27-2003).]
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:38 pm

Horseshoe: Thanks! Are you sure that wasn't Sheriff Buford T. Justice from "Smokey and the Bandit" instead? Image BTW, which fraternity are you in?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 07-27-2003).]
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:53 pm

I figured that would be a huge help on your journey, even though rest stop restrooms rarely make most folks' lists of "must-see" stops.

Sigma Phi Epsilon.
Horseshoe
All-American

Return to Football