PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2003 stars

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2003 stars

Postby Ikus » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:21 pm

We have a few players who I firmly believe will get their due recognition as legitimate stars this year - not just players who have a good game from week to week, but a legitimate chance to be all-WAC and perhaps even earn some national recognition:

* RB Keylon Kincade. He's not going to surprise anyone this year, after the bustout season he had in 2002. But while defenses will prepare better for him this season than last season, they also will have to pay much more attention to our passing game - KK racked up his 1,200-plus yards last year against 8-man and 9-man fronts. Richard Bartel (a 2004 breakout star) has the arm strength and poise to make defenses play honest, which will open up more room for Kincade. Although he'll have fewer carries (with more passing plays called, and with Fitzgerald and Massey working into the rotation), KK will have even more yards this season than last. Starting with 120-plus against Tech in the opener.

* DE Don Ieremia-Stansbury. Granted, we're only going off a few games at DE with this one, but he's bigger and quicker and stronger than Luke Johnson, who owns SMU's all-time single-season sacks record. I don't know if Ieremia-Stansbury will break that record in 2003, but before his career at SMU is over, he'll be the school's single-season and career sacks leader.

* MLB D.D. Lee. Playing behind Vic Viloria, he learned the defense and his role. He's also thicker and stronger than his predecessor, and I think he's quicker than most people give him credit for. I've heard players say he's the hardest hitter on the team, and with better-than-expected play from the defensive line this year, he should lead the team in tackles - by a lot.

* OT Sterling Harris. Yes, the "next Forrest Gregg" busts out this year. His frame and physique are just too perfect to not dominate, and last year he showed an intensity we hadn't seen from #75 since his arrival. He seemed to play with more aggression and anger, and that's exactly what he needed. There will be times he can block a guy with his sheer size and strength, but if he maintains his concentration and uses his feet to be in perfect position, Sterling's going to get himself drafted next April.

* CB Jonas Rutledge. The senior star of the secondary will return to his 2001 form, killing teams on special teams (no fumbles this year) and shutting down the opponents' top receivers. He'll be first-team all-WAC, and because of the demand for big CBs, Jonas will join Harris in next year's draft.

Wildcards:

* WR Jay Taylor. While media and opponents talk about the return of Chris Cunningham and the emergence of Matt Rushbrook, Taylor will quietly become Richard Bartel's favorite receiver, using his size and speed to fulfill his enormous potential.

* PK Chris McMurtray. Maligned last year before Trent Stephenson took over, his confidence reportedly is higher than ever, and his offseason work has increased his range. We won't see the Ponies going for it on fourth-and-8 in the red zone any more, as McMurtray will be the team's leading scorer.

* CB Ruben Moodley. He took some heat last year for taking some bad angles on plays that went for long scores, but now that he's back at CB, he'll step up. He has good size for a corner (6-0, 185) and better speed and athleticism than many give him credit for. Whereas he had to read a play and make quick decisions at safety, he now must simply lock on to a receiver and chase him all over the field. Fearless prediction: two interceptions against Oklahoma State this year!
Ikus
Heisman

Re: 2003 stars

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:36 pm

IKUS: GREAT REPORTING! You've got my 'Mustang'-blood pumped up! I'm ready to see all of these predictions come true! Just wondering, though: what's your prediction on Chris Cunningham?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football