PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Disappointed once again

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Disappointed once again

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 24, 2000 1:24 am

As much as I would have liked to have been in attendance, I was pleased to have been able to catch the game on TV at local sports bar (the LONE SMU fan in the place, of course). I was impressed by our guys' effort. We never quit. That shows character, especially when your fans quit on you EARLY in the 2nd half.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Disappointed once again

Postby ALL4SMU » Sun Sep 24, 2000 2:16 am

No, they never gave up. As long as they don't quit, I won't quit believing in them. We have talent...We just need to win some ball games. I like your frame of mind, CharlestonPony.

By the way, I was one of the few to stay until the end.

Go Mustangs!
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby FWMustang » Sun Sep 24, 2000 1:13 pm

I'd say the fans hung in there a little longer than Cavan. He gave this team no chance to come back in the fourth quarter. When the fans see the same old crap from the same inept offense for 3 qtrs, and the past 3 games, I'd say that gives them a right to show their frustration.

That same dump of pass at the line of scrimmage is about to drive me crazy. We did nothing over the middle all night until that pass in the 4th to Cardwell. And what was that crap on the goal line. Sweep to Briggs? Pipkins off tackle twice? 8 plays to hand the ball to Briggs up the middle.

This Kueck guy is either a kook or Cavan has watered his offense down again like he's done to the last 2 OC's.

He's got to go.His grace period is up. I don't think if we win the rest of our games by 20, he'll be back next year. Don't think the ones "behind the glass" didn't notice the mass exodus when it was apparent Cavan had conceded the games.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 24, 2000 1:54 pm

I have to admit that when we scored with 7:30 to play and Cavan didn't go for two (would have narrowed it to 11 pts) I wondered if he had given up. Either that, or he really isn't INTO THE GAME as he should be.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby THE ROCK » Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:21 pm

I have to admit, I was surprised at the seeming lack of competition that was demonstrated by out play calling. I cannot understand why, with around 5 minutes to go, we were not in a hurry up offense. Also, why did we not go for 2 on that last touchdown. Teams can come from behind in the forth quarter....Anyone remember 'Ole Miss? Didn't they put 22 points on us in the last 9 minutes of the forth quarter to beat us...a few years back.

I have to give props to Josh McCown. I admit, I am not a huge fan of his, but I give credit where credit is due. He was very, very sick, and he had IVs in him thirty minutes before game time, and he still played pretty well. I think his stats were 27-of-49 for 247 yards. That is not bad. Good effort.

Points well taken, Charleston Pony and FWMustang.
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Return to Football