PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Red Jerseys

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Red Jerseys

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:27 pm

On smumustangs.com, there's a picture of Brian Bischoff wearing one of the red jerseys. I have to say, I'm growing used to them, and actually am beginning to like them more than the white ones. I wonder what they look like with the helmets though...

Any thoughts?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Re: Red Jerseys

Postby SMUguy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:30 pm

Are there any jerseys at the Spirit Shop? Which color(s)? Didn't see any on the website.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Stampede » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:52 pm

Spirit Shop does not have the replicas in yet but will soon (like hopefully Sept 1.) Keep checking it out.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Ikus » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:15 pm

So there's no way to get a jersey before the trip to Lubbock?
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:50 pm

Red jerseys look real, REAL sharp. I think we should shelve the blues for a few years and go with the red. Red was our original jersey color, anyway. Wasn't it Hayden who brought in the first blue jersey? Dave Smith was strictly red, Ron Meyer had reds and blues, Bobby just had blue, Forrest Gump put blue 'stangs on the helmets (what was up with that?), Tom had some reds for special occasions, and Cave-in made us cringe with the red version of the Jets jersey. The ones on the poster are winners!!!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:20 am

Go back and look at the photo of Doak Walker on Life Magazine back in 1948...nothing but RED!

<A HREF="http://www.oldlifemagazines.com/cover.php?d=092748" TARGET=_blank>http://www.oldlifemagazines.com/cover.php?d=092748</A>

Red jersey with white '37' and red helmet but, sadly, no Mustang on it! Image Does anyone know who first put the Mustang on the helmet? I remember seeing it (in white on a red helmet) when I was growing up and attending SMU games starting in the early 60s...

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 08-02-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:11 am

Hayden Fry used the little "bucking" Mustang on the red helmet before switching to the white "Ford" Mustang. Prior to that, there were red numbers on a white helmet (a la Don Meredith). Jerseys during the Meredith era featured UCLA inserts (stripes). I believe the newest helmet idea is going to be the best one yet!!! (with red jerseys, of course.)
Bergermeister

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:05 pm

I still like the blue jerseys, red helmut with white mustang as our best uniform. Hayden Fry ended up with this design after he initially tried to use the Doak Walker all red attire along with his red stallion award for players who gave 110%. Do you suppose that our message board commnetator, Stallion, got his screen name from this era? Who would have thought her was a Hayden Fry fan? Hey, Stallion, what did you think of SMU football back under Fry?
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:20 pm

Just looked at the pic of Bishoff on smumustangs.com. The red jersey looks pretty damn sharp with the grey pants. I also think the field looks better in person than it appears on the photos which look more washed out for some reason.
Hoop Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:23 pm

Is PonyFans.com going to put up their own pics of the field? The camera that the athletic department uses just skews colors so badly... remember the difference between the uniform pictures that smumustangs.com and PonyFans took? Ponyfans pictures were much truer to the real colors.

Also, can anyone find out when the red unis will be used, and if they're meant to be throwbacks or not, etc?

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 08-03-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby No Cal Pony » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:57 pm

I agree with most folk that the red jerseys look good. Sort of have a feel like tampa bay. I think all of the schemes are as good as they've been in a while.

Bergermeister, what's up with the "Forrest Gump" comment. Totally out of line. I like your posts, but that was uncalled for. Forrest Gregg was a heck of a player for SMU, and had the balls to come back and coach when everyone else was running away. Also, I knew him and his family, and am proud they were all Mustangs.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:43 pm

Somehow the red jersey's strike me more as Arizona Cardinals gear than Tampa Bay gear. I prefer the blue jerseys, whether it's the Navy blue or royal blue. And I like the white jerseys, too, as long as we have blue pants working with them. (Considering I'm generally a complete fashion bum, who would have thought I'd ever care about fashion?)

And you're right, NoCal, Coach Gregg is as classy and honorable a Mustang as there's ever been. Anyone who mocks Coach Gregg doesn't know much about the man. He's one of the all-time greats, in every sense of the word.

[This message has been edited by ClassOf81 (edited 08-03-2003).]
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Troup32 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:51 pm

With the dark trim around the numbers, the red jerseys remind me a little of Louisville. Not the helmets, of course.
Troup32
Scout Team

Postby RE Tycoon » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:51 pm

The way I understand it, the Red jerseys are going to be an alterante, or special occasoin jersey...big game, homecoming, bowl game, national championship, etc. Much like Notre Dame does with their green jersey.

GO 'Stangs
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:06 pm

i just hope we have better luck with our 'reds' than notre dame with their 'greens'.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Football