PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CUSA 11th 12th teams

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CUSA 11th 12th teams

Postby AtillatheCoog » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:57 pm

SMU is a slam dunk for the 11 th spot. Tulsa, marshall, CFU compete for the 12th. looks like its all coming together.
AtillatheCoog

Re: CUSA 11th 12th teams

Postby Nacho » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:06 pm

Who is your source? Why should we believe you? No offense.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 08-01-2003).]

Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AtillatheCoog » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:15 pm

OK...fair enough. Why SMU?
(1) BB lives in Dallas and has already visited with SMU (early June)After visiting at SMU he had good things to say about them in the media. "SMU woul;d be a good choice for CUSA should an opening come up."
(2) BB stated last week that it would be realistic for CUSA to become more regionalized.
(3) SMU has been at the top of every CUSA expansion list published in the last two years. Marshall appeared to be ahead but when Mike Slive left their stock went down.
Its not a single think that points to SMU but if you add it all up it looks pretty strong.
Tulsa, marshall and CFU are also in a good position but Tulsa really helps an already premier basketball league.
AtillatheCoog

Postby The PonyGrad » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:29 pm

So.. conjecture only, based on some news stories about general polite comments.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Nacho » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:31 pm

I understand those points. They have been discussed here many times. Why bring them up again now. Is something imminent?

Nacho

Postby AtillatheCoog » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:40 pm

I'm not saying something is imminent but I think SMU will be the next team in. I could be wrong and I agree what I said is an educated guess but I think it makes sense. I think this commish has a strong sw bent and keep in mind SMU almost got in in 1999.
AtillatheCoog

Postby Ikus » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:14 pm

I hope you're right. I think we're jumping the gun here, but I do hope you're right.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:39 pm

If SMU and Tulsa (et al) are 11th and 12th, then who will be 13th and 14th after UC and UL leave?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:25 pm

Huh? There will only be 10 after UL and UC leave.. and they will only expand to 12 teams, if at all.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:27 pm

If UL and UC leave, then the regional model suggests Rice to pair with Houston along with your suggestion that Tulsa and SMU precede the choice of the Owls. The twelfth team could be Louisana Tech or Central Fla.

I for one would support and wish that Rice would continue to be linked to us. We should go to Conference USA in any case, but it is less appealing without Rice, Tulsa and perhaps La Tech to create the six team SW division.

Not opposed to WAC-East, but without TCU, I can't see it happening.

In any case, Big East will be first mover. If not UL and UC, then USF and UCF. Don't expect BE to make a decision until school starts in late August.

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 08-01-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby AtillatheCoog » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:05 pm

I don;t think Lu and UC will leave. There has never been any evidence of that out of the big east office. What evidence does exists is the opposite.
AtillatheCoog

Postby Water Pony » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:29 pm

Attila:

Why do you say there is no evidence of UL and UC going to the Big East? Most forecasters seem to think it is the most likely path.

USF and UCF are presumed to be Plan B or in addition to UL and UC. Other scenarios had Navy and Army playing in BE FB only.

If UL and UC do stay, then a western Conf. USA Division with SMU and other SW additions becomes less likely. Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 08-02-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby BenW » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Water Pony:
<B>
I for one would support and wish that Rice would continue to be linked to us. We should go to Conference USA in any case, but it is less appealing without Rice, Tulsa and perhaps La Tech to create the six team SW division.

Not opposed to WAC-East, but without TCU, I can't see it happening.

In any case, Big East will be first mover. If not UL and UC, then USF and UCF. Don't expect BE to make a decision until school starts in late August.

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 08-01-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's less appealing without those teams but if C-USA loses only lou and cincy, there is no chance of all 4 getting invites (small chance of all 4 regardless of what happens - you need ECU to leave as well for all 4 to have a chance). SMU will just have to decide whether re-uniting with TCU and possibly keeping another current WAC team, yet abandoning a couple of wac teams, is worth it.
I do agree with Atilla that SMU is the first western team option, barring a TCU blackball.
BenW
Recruit

Postby AtillatheCoog » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:18 pm

Water ...in answer to your question. If UL and UC stay (and there is not one scrap of REAL evidence that they won't) CUSA would need two teams to make 12. I'm assuming our basketball only schools would go to the Big east with thir BB schools. CUSA would then be a 10 team all sports league. They are not going to add two eastern teams to this league. UH, TCU and Tulane would have a fit, plus BB lives here. AT LEAST one of those two teams would be from here. SMU 'seems' to be the team of choice. It is possible that Marshall or CFU would get the other spot.
Now...if UL and UC were to leave it creates anentirely different situation. If that happens the league would move stronly to the south adding IMHO SMU, CFU, Tulsa and Rice to make 12. If East carolina were to go as well (which is pretty far out) then La Tech would get in.
AtillatheCoog

Return to Football