PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What is the excuse? Students? Fans? Anyone?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: What is the excuse? Students? Fans? Anyone?

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Sep 27, 2000 1:36 am

Big D-

I am confused as to what you are saying. Is that sarcasm. That is the problem with boards, you can misinterprete what is being said. Are you saying the fans are poor or they have no reason to go to games.

Sorry, call me stupid, but I cannot tell which side you are on.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Big D » Wed Sep 27, 2000 9:55 pm

No Sir! I'm not saying you are stupid or anything of the kind. I'm just sick of people saying these kids have no talent, and don't belong where they're at. Also the fans deserve a better team. These kids are where they are at, and I know they are busting their butts to perform their best. People expect more, they've said so! I just wish the ones who're killing themselves for this team, deserve better fans, other than the ones who yell at them, or critisize them! I said I wish there were some more Eric Dickersons out there to make them happy. By the way, I paid for my son's car, and his other expenses, they didn't come from alumni!!!
Big D
Scout Team

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:23 pm

Big D-
I understand now. I agree with you 100%. We are not the SMU from the 80's, or Doak days. What the team is now is a great group of honest, hard working, athletes. They deserve the support of the fans no matter how they do. They are representing SMU, and the fans need to relize that and show some pride. It will pay off, it will make the team play better.

Big D, I hope you see that I am a poster that is getting on the lack of fan support and not the team.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SMUPonyFan (edited 09-27-2000).]
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Big D » Thu Sep 28, 2000 12:17 am

SMUPonyfan, you and I are on the same page. I want the best for SMU, and these players. I wish they were national champs, but they're not. They are still our kids, and I will defend them to the end! I know for a fact that they are busting their butts, and I just want them to get some respect for that. They are playing their hearts out every saturday. There may be some joking around on the sideline during the game, I've heard that first hand, but don't think for a minute that the other players liked that either. You don't want there to be fighting among the players, but it pissed a lot of them off because of that. These kids are doing their best. They are competitors,and hate losing. It affects them more than you know. That's why it pisses me off to hear some wahoo bad mouth these kids who probably never played a down of football in their life, or if they did, they know what these kids are going through!! GO STANGS!!!
Big D
Scout Team

Postby MustangMom » Thu Sep 28, 2000 3:24 pm

Big D - Glad to hear others feel the same way about the players that I do. I even made a seperate topic see " Mustang Players Read This", to tell the team members that we appreciate all their hard work and dedication - to keep playing hard. Maybe some other PonyFans. com members or visitors can post on this topic as well. I understand that many of the players visit this site.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom

[This message has been edited by MustangMom (edited 09-28-2000).]
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:37 pm

MustangMom, SMUPonyFan, et. al.

My previous post above was probably too verbose, so I will try to be succinct (if I can). My points were:

1. At this point in time, the players should not let the less than full stands get to them, but play for their own pride, their families and the loyal fans (however few) that are there. Those of us there will yell and scream for the team...we just aren't very loud (old age).

2. Probably less than half of the seats are filled by actual alums (the best source of loyal fans), the rest are relatives, freinds, etc. Over time with some winning seasons many of these folks will become loyal fans, but they are not there yet. That is reality, it takes winning to build up a fan base and unfortunately SMU hasn't had much of that in the last eleven years. Is it fair to these kids? No, of course not.

3. Even among the loyal fans such as myself, there is frustration to not see more improvement in our team. I believe most of the players have the talent and desire necessary for success, but it is not happening...that's why we are frustrated.

4. I already stated in my previous post that the frustration is no excuse to take it out on the players ... the coaches however...

Go Stangs kick UH's butts!!!!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football