PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who's Wagoner?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who's Wagoner?

Postby Houston Pony » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:47 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but can somebody fill me in on the Charles Wagoner story?
Sounds interesting.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Who's Wagoner?

Postby ponyte » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:47 pm

Charles Wagoner was a running back recruited in the same class as Dickerson and James. In his Fr. year, he was considered by many to be the best of the 3. In 1979 he was returning the opening kickoff against Texas Tech and had his neck broken. It was not an injury that affected his spinal cord so no serious neurological injury. However, he was advised never to play ball again. Based on that, he could not pass the physical and never suited up again.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Who's Wagoner?

Postby Ponymon » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:26 am

I used to watch the practices back then in addition to the games. Waggoner was GREAT! The only thing Dickerson had on him was the top end speed after 30 yards. Waggoner, however, could cut through the line much quicker than any of the top running backs that Meyer had recruited and was always good for 8 to 10 yards minimum. (Meyer recruited at least 5 of Dave Campbell's top 10 running backs in the year that he recruited Waggoner, Dickerson & James so Waggoner had a LOT of top competition his freshman year). Just imagine how good these running backs could have been if Meyer and Collins had developed the passing game just a little more. The only reason the Texas game and the Tech games were close in their Cotton Bowl year was because of the limited offense used at the time. It was a tragedy when he hurt his neck on that opening kickoff just like its a tragedy that Shan has hurt his back.

I have a bad back also and I recommend daily back exercises. Feldene also makes my day more bearable. (Piroxicam is the generic equivalent.) This is the only pain killer that has really worked for me, but consult your own doctor because everyones body chemistry is different. For current players, I strongly urge that you do back exercises every day (each knee to chest and hold for a count of 20, then both knees to the chest for a count of 20, then individual leg lifts). Also include a set of situps to keep those stomach muscles strong (which I'm sure you are doing anyway.)

[This message has been edited by Ponymon (edited 08-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Ponymon (edited 08-06-2003).]
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football