PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting Priorities....next year

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruiting Priorities....next year

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Sep 25, 2000 1:18 am

I think we really, really need some stud O-lineman....After that, we need some dbs.

I would think that with our lackluster kicking, plenty of good hs kickers would be happy to come to SMU, because they know that they can start all 4 years.

What will it take for us to get some lineman, d-backs, and a badass kicker?
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Recruiting Priorities....next year

Postby graypony » Mon Sep 25, 2000 2:06 am

Kickers - Most Top 25 programs and their competitors have this thing about not giving kickers scholarships. I know the mother (from my home town) of a kicker who got one at an SEC school this past year and I was shocked. Because most schools do not actively recruit a place kicker for a full ride, I really think that we could go after the best kickers in the South. What a great institute of higher learning to get an all tuition paid education. There are a lot of people who pay a lot of money so that their kids can have that SMU education and degree.

OL- I know that the coaches are looking hard and urgently for OL. I do think that the conventional wisdom is to recruit every position every year. I think that because of the recruiting restrictions, SMU just gets the best athletes that they can and fit them where they need them. You would be surprised how well that works out sometimes. A great linebacker in HS just might be your Heisman Trophy RB (Earl Campbell).
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Sep 25, 2000 2:10 am

The Rose was a lb in high school?
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby graypony » Mon Sep 25, 2000 2:25 am

The Rose was a LB/RB in HS, but recruited as a LB with a promise to look at him at RB. He was listed as a LB as a freshman at UT. They moved him to RB I think in spring drills of his freshman year. If I'm not mistaken, freshmen were inelgible to play with the varsity in those days. Basically, every freshman was red shirted and got only 3 years of elgibility.
That information regarding Earl came from a coach that was coaching at Texas High in Texarkana which played in Tyler's conference. He said that if you ever saw him play LB in HS, you might have never moved him to offense. He said UT just happened to be thin at RB at that particular time and DKR was keeping his promise to look at him at RB in the spring.
It seems like Paul Harvey should come in now and say, "Now, you know the rest of the story."
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 25, 2000 10:34 am

Not so fast, my friends.

Yes, we need offensive linemen and defensive backs. We can never have enough of either, but we especially need to load up on linemen this year.

But you forgot - we need defensive linemen, too -- several of them. We lose Chase Schavrda this year, and next year we lose Aldridge. I've seen nothing from this year's freshmen (Clay Glockzin, Allan Adami, Melvin Williams, etc.) so as a fan, I have no way of knowing what they can do.

We need linemen - offensive and defensive - with SIZE. Our new DLs signed in February are small, and we got what .... ONE offensive lineman?

While we're making out a wish list, how about a WR with some size? Comet's great, but small. Freeman is really fast, but had too many drops in his first few games at the position. Cardwell is OK, but all his catches were late (after the game was out of reach) and came on shallow, over-the-middle routes -- not exactly stretching the defense. This Jared Quick guy (from Austin, I think) is listed on Rivals as having SMU as a candidate, but he doesn't list us as one of his top choices. Give me this Corey Roberts kid from Carthage, and the guy from Oklahoma who supposedly likes us so much.

[This message has been edited by Corso (edited 09-25-2000).]
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby ponytalk » Mon Sep 25, 2000 10:44 am

We need O-lineman first. We have very little in reserve and got nothing out of this recruiting class.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby pony6 » Mon Sep 25, 2000 12:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Corso:
<B>Not so fast, my friends.

Yes, we need offensive linemen and defensive backs. We can never have enough of either, but we especially need to load up on linemen this year.

But you forgot - we need defensive linemen, too -- several of them. We lose Chase Schavrda this year, and next year we lose Aldridge. I've seen nothing from this year's freshmen (Clay Glockzin, Allan Adami, Melvin Williams, etc.) so as a fan, I have no way of knowing what they can do.

We need linemen - offensive and defensive - with SIZE. Our new DLs signed in February are small, and we got what .... ONE offensive lineman?

While we're making out a wish list, how about a WR with some size? Comet's great, but small. Freeman is really fast, but had too many drops in his first few games at the position. Cardwell is OK, but all his catches were late (after the game was out of reach) and came on shallow, over-the-middle routes -- not exactly stretching the defense. This Jared Quick guy (from Austin, I think) is listed on Rivals as having SMU as a candidate, but he doesn't list us as one of his top choices. Give me this Corey Roberts kid from Carthage, and the guy from Oklahoma who supposedly likes us so much.

[This message has been edited by Corso (edited 09-25-2000).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
pony6

Postby pony6 » Mon Sep 25, 2000 12:49 pm

Corso spoke of the need for wide receivers. I know of at least one freshman walk on this year who would fit the bill. He has been redshirted but could help us next year.

You mentioned a recruit from Oklahoma who is interested. Who is he and where is he from?

------------------
pony6

Return to Football