PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Josh McCown scores

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Josh McCown scores

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:08 am

Shades of Christmas past, SMU QB alum Josh McCown threw a TD against the Plowboys on Saturday night. Our problems have not just been getting enough talent for the team, but using the talent we've had.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: Josh McCown scores

Postby Juice » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:33 am

Just because the old days are OLD, let's not glorify them. Josh was TERRIBLE at SMU and nothing (not even a great senior season at a D1-AA team or a TD in the preseason) will change that.

He was slow-minded on the field and his althelticism lasted him half a season.

He was AWFUL and he won't ever be a starting or backup QB in the pros, barring injury or the f***** Cardinals.

[This message has been edited by Juice (edited 08-10-2003).]
Juice
Scout Team

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:48 am

Juice: I take exception to your analysis of former SMU QB Josh McCown. He was not used to his full potential by former SMU head football coach Mike Cavan. Fortunately, Josh saw an opportunity at my alma mater (Sam Houston State, Southland Conference Div.1-AA in Huntsville,TX). His statistics for the Bearkats in one year surpassed what he did at SMU in three years. I believe he will eventually be a starting QB in the NFL. He's learning. It's his second year with the Cardinals and he'll see more playing time as the season continues. As for your comments that Josh was 'slow-minded' on the field...I don't understand where you get that...I saw him show great poise and ability at Sam Houston State in 2001 and it helped the team advance to the playoffs for the first time in many, many years. If you're basing your comments just on his playing days at SMU, then you're not looking at the 'big picture'!

Note to Sam I Am: Josh McCown is an alum of Sam Houston State University. GO BEARKATS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:39 am

McCown was the best we've had since Ramon. Cavan didn't see that. You can't expect a kid who has no protection to read correctly. Sanders had the same problem and so will our new guy if the big guys up front don't protect him. No one can throw the ball from his back.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:50 am

You're out of line, Juice. And, I might add, you're inaccurate. How would you do if your boss stood over your shoulder and yanked you away from your desk every time your computer crashed? Whenever McCown threw an incompletion -- even when the pass was fine and the receiver simply dropped it -- he was looking over his shoulder because Cavan yanked him from the game so often. Whether or not you like him, he's big, runs well and has a very strong, accurate arm. Sports Illustrated ran a note after he took part in last year's Combine that said when the coaches wanted some DBs and WRs to run some routes, two of the three QBs assigned to throw to them didn't show, so McCown threw to all of them. They were worried about wearing out his arm, but he was stronger at the end than he was at the beginning of the drills, which called for countless deep balls.

The fact is that most QBs take a couple of years to get comfortable - the Joey Harringtons of the world are a rarity. And consider the fact that the Cardinals' top three receivers all left in free agency, so at least give him the benefit of the doubt, because there's a very good chance the receivers didn't run perfect - or even good - routes. Josh is an extremely bright young man with loads of physical ability and will do a terrific job in the NFL. And OldPony's right - as bad as the Dallas pass rush is, the Arizona offensive line might be worse. They're huge, but Blake and McCown were running for their lives most of the time.

(If you want to point fingers anywhere, you should point them at those of us who were dumb enough to sit through that charade Saturday night.)

[This message has been edited by giacfsp (edited 08-11-2003).]
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Juice » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:22 pm

OK, OK... I'll go along with the babying of McCown. After all, we shouldn't blame him at all.

I'll accept that pro scouts liked him, but don't bring up the fact that he had great stats as at D1-AA school - sorry Bearkat fans, but those numbers don't fly.
Juice
Scout Team

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:22 pm

Mr.Mustang, we are grateful that SHSU was foresighted enough to give Josh a chance to prove his worth. In Jacksonville we've had a high school QB coach who produced three Div.A QB's from the McCown family. He also trained other QB's who who very good. If someone can do this at the high school level, then it is clear that coaching makes a difference. The SHSU staff have shown that they know how to produce a passing offense when they have the talent. Maybe Bennett should have looked to Huntsville for his coaches, or Jacksonville High.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:27 pm

Juice, Josh went to Div. 1-AA because that was they only way he could conserve his remaining year of eligibility. You don't make the pros because of babying or playing in lesser competition in college. The point is not about how good id Josh, but how good are our coaxches at developing the talent they have recruited.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:31 pm

telling the truth isn't babying McCown. The guy didn't want to sit out a year so he took a different route. Funny that Sanders did the same. While neither is John Elway, they could have both been good D-1 QB's under a different coach. I stand by the satement that no one has been better at SMU since McCown. Hopefully that will change shortly but it hasn't happened yet. I wish the young man well.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:33 pm

Juice: Get bent.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby PK » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sam I Am:
<B>Mr.Mustang, we are grateful that SHSU was foresighted enough to give Josh a chance to prove his worth. In Jacksonville we've had a high school QB coach who produced three Div.A QB's from the McCown family. He also trained other QB's who who very good. If someone can do this at the high school level, then it is clear that coaching makes a difference. The SHSU staff have shown that they know how to produce a passing offense when they have the talent. Maybe Bennett should have looked to Huntsville for his coaches, or Jacksonville High.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For those who don't remember, Bennett was not the coach when McCown was here...that was Cavan who had trouble developing any of his players, especially QB's.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sam I Am:
<B>Maybe Bennett should have looked to Huntsville for his coaches, or Jacksonville High.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd go with Jacksonville High. The 'Kat coaching staff had a 'gift' dropped into their lap with McCown. They haven't done jack squat since his draft into the NFL.

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby The CPC » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Juice:
[.

He was AWFUL and he won't ever be a starting or backup QB in the pros, barring injury or the f***** Cardinals.

[This message has been edited by Juice (edited 08-10-2003).][/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For those who are missing the obvious, McCown is already a backup QB in the pros. This is his 2nd year in the league and he is the Cardinals #2 QB. He might not ever be a starter, CPC doesnt own a crystal ball, but it doesnt take psychic powers to see what the guy has already done.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Buddha » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:53 pm

And wasn't he their #2 guy last year, too? As a rookie? Everything I've read says he's the QB of the future there - quoting coaches, not sportswriters - and he's the reason they didn't bring in a second veteran to back up Blake this year.
Buddha
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:55 pm

Earth to Sam I Am. Yeah, Bennett was not McCown's coach.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football