PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Marketing & The Mustang Maniac - Part 2

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Marketing & The Mustang Maniac - Part 2

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:31 pm

Just so you all know...the SMU Marketing Department DOES read this board and takes our comments/suggestions/complaints, etc. very seriously! That said, here's what I found out today from Woody Norris in the SMU Mktg. Department. (He took the time to send me an email after reading the original "Mustang Maniac" thread that popped back up earlier this week after almost a year's absence! He asked me to call him to 'get the facts'. So, I did.)

First, Mr. Norris says that the marketing department has a strategy to get more people into Ford Stadium and Moody Coliseum. I believe it will work. For each home game this year, there are packages being sold to groups such as the Methodist Youth Foundations throughout the Metroplex, the Baptist Youth Foundations, the Boy Scouts of America, etc. The marketing department is reaching out to these younger groups as well as their parents/guardians. For each 'group' sale, an additional 1500 tickets are issued to a future game. This, of course, results in more people attending future games besides the game that the group attended the first time around.

Ticket sales last year (2002) were up 25% over previous years. This year ticket sales are up 35%. The marketing folks are doing the best they can with a limited amount of resources and budget. I give them credit. As my old advertising prof once said, "The best form of advertising is 'word of mouth'." That's what's working for SMU!

As part of the youth group packages this year, there will be a Boy Scout Day during the UTEP game. Following the game, nearly 1000 Boy Scouts from the Metroplex will convert the field of Ford Stadium into a huge campground (don't worry...no campfires will be lit! We all remember the Navy game! Image) with a movie projected on the Jumbotron for the Scouts' enjoyment during the evening. There are other events planned throughout the season that will help spread the Mustangs' message throughout the Metroplex.

As for the "Mustang Maniac", of which I was originally 'critical' (in August 2002)...I now understand the 'logic' of it. The "Mustang Maniac" is not intended for older fans or college students. He's intended for the younger fans - the kids who sit in the end zone with the youth groups or their parents - kind of like 'Comet' with the Houston Rockets or 'Rowdy' with the Dallas Cowboys. Mr. Norris says you won't see "Mustang Maniac" in the reserved seats or student section. That's not "Mustang Maniac's" turf! He was never intended to replace Peruna and he NEVER WILL! Peruna is and ALWAYS WILL BE SMU'S #1 MASCOT! But "Mustang Maniac" is someone who gets the 'younger kids' pumped up at the games by throwing mini-footballs into the stands or shooting t-shirts into the stands from a makeshift launcher. He excites the crowd and helps generate excitement for the Mustangs from the younger attendees...and isn't that what it's all about? Fun and getting people into the stands to watch the Mustangs WIN!

Keep posting your comments here on this board...the marketing folks have taken notice and are just as excited - if not more so! - as we are about Mustang football and athletics on The Hilltop! They read this board. WE HAVE A VOICE! GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 08-13-2003).]
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Marketing & The Mustang Maniac - Part 2

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:47 pm

Thanks for the updates. Hope they keep up the good work. Great news on the tickets.

One question though: How much of this limited budget do we have to spend to rent the Mustang Maniac from Dominoes?
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Damone:
<B>How much of this limited budget do we have to spend to rent the Mustang Maniac from Dominoes? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What makes you think he's rented from Domino's?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby SmooBoy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:54 pm

Hey, as an Eagle Scout of Troop 57 in Garland, Texas, I can say with confidence that the scout idea is a good one. Those boys are generally loyal, boisterous and loud as hell. Not what usually defines an SMU fan, so BE PREPARED, folks.

Of course they're also friendly, brave, clean, reverent, etc., but you already knew that.
SmooBoy

Postby DiamondM » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:00 pm

Because the Mustang Maniac looks just like the Noid from old Domino's ad campaigns.

While I am a staunch supporter of our marketing department and their efforts, I still think the Maniac is a bad, bad idea. I had no illusions about who it was supposed to appeal to, problem is, it is not a kid mascot. It's not cute, or fun looking, but disturbing. Only thing that redeems a similar disturbing looking tshirt flinging mascot named Mavs Man, is the stunts (and the fact that he's usually out on the floor with the Mavs dancers, which pumps up more than just the little kiddies.

Peruna already was kid friendly. If you want to get the kids pumped up, send Peruna around with the tshirt gun, along with some Human Peruna handlers to increase the volume of items thrown to the crowd. This is especially effective because our current Human Peruna is very, very good. Remember this is a college game, not a Mavericks game, and the same gimmicks will not work. The only type of "additional" mascot I've seen work at college games are the big inflatable (and very cute) mascots that use the costume to do funny things. You cannot manufacture new traditions in the college game the way the pros seem to be able to do it.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:26 pm

If they are really insistent on having an additional costumed mascot, why don't they just bring back Baby Peruna who they had back in 97. The original is for the college kids and adults, the new one is for the kids. I also like the suggestion of having the human handlers help out with the dispersal of items and what not. They get a lot of attention pre game, but because of NCAA rules don't get to do a lot during the games besides cheer.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:29 pm

speaking of which, has the marketing department ever thought about using the handlers and the live mascot as a promotional tool? I know that the only appearences we were ever asked to make were the ones at the football games, and every other time we brought him to campus it was because we thought we might be able to get people excited for the games if they saw him on campus, not because the marketing department asked us to. As far as I know they never even contacted us to do anything with them to promote SMU, and to me thats a shame because everywhere I have been with him he gets a lot of attention.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:30 pm

I have not seen this Mustang Maniac, and I've heard he does look kind of disturbing, but that doesn't really matter. Do the kids think he's disturbing? The marketing department must have reason to believe not, since they're bringing him back this year. Hell, I'd put Barney the dinosaur and Baby Bop out there every game, if it would bring more kids to the stadium. Kids mean families, and families mean ticket sales.

Like I said, I haven't seen the Maniac, maybe somebody can post a photo, for an out-of-towner? And just for the record, I thought the human in the Peruna outfit was funny and quite good, and plenty kid-friendly, besides representing an actual mustang. Either way, I say give the kids what they want, mustang or maniac. I'd just prefer to watch the game.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:00 pm

That is an excellent idea!

Peruna is a great ambassador for SMU.

On away game weekends Peruna should be at area public events attracting attention for SMU.(which he is good at)

It wouldn't hurt to have a pretty cheerleader with Peruna at these PR events.

Peruna should be at things like the Addison Food Festival, Hoop It Up, The West End, area Malls. His handlers could hand out info about group or family specials for games later in the season.

Pound the pavement with Peruna!

The kids would flock to him. That little live stallion always attracts a crowd.

Peruna could help get the word out that College Sports are right here in Dallas in a beautiful new state of the art stadium.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abezontar:
<B>speaking of which, has the marketing department ever thought about using the handlers and the live mascot as a promotional tool? I know that the only appearences we were ever asked to make were the ones at the football games, and every other time we brought him to campus it was because we thought we might be able to get people excited for the games if they saw him on campus, not because the marketing department asked us to. As far as I know they never even contacted us to do anything with them to promote SMU, and to me thats a shame because everywhere I have been with him he gets a lot of attention.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Postby MustangFan » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:30 pm

One of the best comments I ever saw on this board came last year when someone said the Maniac looked like "the illegitimate lovechild of The Noid and Captain America." (Or maybe it was Superman. Either way - you get the gist.)
MustangFan
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:20 pm

I don't know about the Cheerleader with Peruna, last I heard, he used to bite them on their cute derriers (I'm not making this up.) I must say that every time I've seen Peruna walking around the Boulevard before the game, he is trailed by a bunch of kids. A live shetland pony is a kid magnet. I wish we had an alum with a farm out west, so that we could have a West Coast Peruna go to our away conference games (except Hawaii). I think that would really be something would help the team and show our conference mates a little bit of SMU tradition.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:07 pm

BTW I read in the North Dallas/Richardson section of the DMN that the youth football leagues(ages as young as 9?)will get a free ticket to an SMU game AND in addition they will get to play an actual game INSIDE Ford Stadium. That is COOL. I remember as a kid as I sure some of you do that the YMCA would annually allow the kids to play their last game of the year at old Highlander Stadium at Highland Park. That was a BIG deal to the kids. Can't imagine how exciting it would be for a kid to play in a real College stadium. These are the opportunities that the new A-Turf will allow SMU to market the program to a whole new segment of kids(not just HS Playoff games) and their parents.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:14 pm

Besides bringing these groups to the football games, is there anything special planned for them on the Boulevard prior to kickoff?

For some people who are not as enthusiastic about the actual game itself as we are, this can be a big selling point.
SoCal_Pony

Postby gostangs » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:29 am

We HAVE to get rid of that mascot!!! IT reeks of desperation. Kids do not like it - nobody likes it. Lets use the great base we have and expand on it - both the real and mascot peruna are great - we should get them more involved. PLEASE guys - I know you are just trying everything, but can we just admit it was a bad idea (sort of like the fireworks at Navy last year) and say goodbye. Only TCU has an uglier and more worthless stuffed thingy.
gostangs

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:37 am

I agree with abezontar... Baby Peruna was hilarious... very entertaining and very SMU. The "maniac" is creepy... it's pretty embarrasing when he is introduced with all the fanfare, he runs on the field, and there is dead silence. You must agree the "mustang maniac" is very TCU-ish. Not good.
Bergermeister

Next

Return to Football