PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Brandon Bonds

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Brandon Bonds

Postby Ikus » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:52 pm

I just saw the note on the FIELD PARTY thread about Brandon Bonds now being in the starting lineup. I think this goes to show that like many others, I jump to too many conclusions based on a kid's high school and its competition. I automatically assumed that Desmond Jones would be better, because he played at Dallas Carter and Bonds played at Cooper HS. And looking at their pictures, I mistakenly thought Bonds might be a bit soft, and need a year or two to get in the lineup. Hats off to BB for coming in ready to play, and let's hope Jones forces his way into the lineup, too. They might both turn out to be studs - who knows?
Ikus
Heisman

Re: Brandon Bonds

Postby The Q » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:06 pm

Can't wait to see Jones and Bonds playing side-by-side. Not to shove Adami from the lineup, of course, but these guys are younger and bigger. We might be OK in the middle after all.
The Q
Varsity

Postby hpfan » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:07 pm

I hear they both will be good players and early. Berry is also having a good 2aday camp. A real starting rotation is taking shape..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby The Q » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:14 pm

Good to hear! I hadn't heard that Berry was in the mix already.
But is that at DE or DT?
The Q
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:52 pm

CORRECTION: 3 freshmen in the starting rotation of defensive linemen is not the development of a strong rotation unless you mean 2005-it is a recipe for disaster.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 08-14-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hpfan » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:02 pm

Berry is at DT. Stallion is probably right but the prognosis for the future is promissing..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:21 pm

I agree. I'm not so keen on seeing three freshmen in the starting rotation. At least we have SOME options, though.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:44 am

Relax - only Bonds will play this year - Jones only if disaster hits. Berry will not play this year.
gostangs

Postby Otto » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:24 am

What makes you say Jones won't play? Bennett said he'd have every chance to get in the rotation this year, and with the way he's added size and strength - and considering how thin we are at DT - I figured he'd be in the rotation this year, if not starting.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:49 am

Adami is locked in at one spot. If Bonds starts, Denman is the backup at one spot, Karrington at the other, and then Bean rotates in as well once he is back from back injury midseason.

I don't see any reason to not redshirt the other two frosh.
JasonB

Postby giacfsp » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:55 am

Because of Desmond Jones is as quick as people are saying he is, and up to 290-plus pounds, then right off the bat he's capable of making plays with his size and strength, or with his speed and quickness. If he's still fast enough to be a quick DE, and strong enough to play inside, then he might have the most natural gifts of any DT we have. Coach Bennett loves quick DTs.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:47 pm

Stallion is right. Freshmen have way too much to learn and need to develop strength. It is nice to have that kind of size for the future but heaven help us if we start 3 frosh.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:48 pm

This will be a tough year due to the schedule - we will make progress but the year after is the start of better results why use up a year of eligilbility on the guy (Jones) - I think they will only us him if soeone gets hurt.
gostangs

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:51 pm

Looking in the PonyFans recruiting roundup, Bonds looks soft, too friendly, even academic. But like his brother, I hear he turns into a monster when he puts on the pads. Of course being huge and powerful never hurts either...

Desmond Jones is going to be a player, no doubt. But right now, I believe Bonds has the edge.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:01 pm

I might also caution you practice watchers that teams often look good against themselves. In games, their competition is much stronger than a non-starter at SMU. Let's hope for the best and that some of these guys will show a lot improvement over the year.
OldPony
Heisman

Next

Return to Football