PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

USA Today

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

USA Today

Postby 50's PONY » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:15 pm

Boise State's 2002 tough to top
By Eddie Timanus, USA TODAY
Boise State has a hard act to follow, coming off the best season in the program's rich history. The Broncos were the highest-scoring team in the country, averaging 45.6 points. They concluded a 12-1 campaign with the Western Athletic Conference title, a convincing 34-16 win against Iowa State in the Humanitarian Bowl and a No. 12 ranking in the USA TODAY/ESPN Coaches' Poll. What can they do for an encore?

Safety Wes Nurse is one of eight returning starter's on Boise State's defense.
By Katherine Jones The Idaho Statesman

"I don't think it's necessarily a question of trying to match the record or the ranking," coach Dan Hawkins says. "It's about matching the attention to detail and the intensity — all those things that helped us win."

Attention to detail isn't a problem for quarterback Ryan Dinwiddie. The early favorite for offensive player of the year in the WAC, Dinwiddie wowed a national television audience last season in his first game back from a broken ankle. He came off the bench against Fresno State to complete 19 of 22 pass attempts for 406 yards and five touchdowns in a 67-21 victory. (Related item: Assessing the WAC)

"When I was injured, I was spending a lot of time watching film and trying to get my ankle better. I was hating sitting, so I was just sky-high when I got back in there," he says.

Says Hawkins: "You can over-hype a guy, but on the other hand, Ryan is darn good. I don't care what league you play in, he's going to excel."

Dinwiddie finished 2002 with 2,283 yards, 20 TDs and only three interceptions. His efficiency rating of 188.18 would have led the country if he hadn't missed those four games.

His offense, however, will have many new faces. Gone are the three top receivers and running back Brock Forsey, who had a school-record 32 touchdowns in his career.

Hawkins is counting on Dinwiddie's knowledge and preparation to bring the new starters up to speed.

"Ryan could run our offense with all the assistant coaches out getting a hot dog," he says. "He's a field general and a great leader. He knows what needs to happen."

Dinwiddie spent the summer working out with his receivers, enjoying his teaching role.

"I feel pretty good about them," he says. "We watched a lot of film, and I have my receivers come up to the board and draw up plays with me. I just try to let them know it's not enough to be a great athlete. If you don't put in the mental work, you're not going to be successful."

Meanwhile, eight starters are back from a defense that was somewhat overshadowed by the big scores but quietly led the WAC in yardage and points allowed.

"Toward the end of last year, when we were holding teams to one score, we started getting a little more attention," says linebacker Andy Avalos, who led the Broncos with 107 tackles. "We have a big challenge. All our guys know we have to play better early on. I think we're ready."

Dinwiddie isn't lowering his standards for his unit: "Hopefully we'll be caught up to the defense by the end of two-a-days. We think we can score ... 35 or 40 a game again. It's going to be tougher, but I think we can get there."

After opening the season against in-state rivals Idaho State and Idaho, the Broncos visit Oregon State on Sept. 20 for their most difficult non-conference test.

Assessing the Western Athletic Conference

Team* 2002 record The word in 2003
Hawaii 10-4, 7-1 Hosting key clash with Boise State gives Warriors slight edge.
Boise State 12-1, 8-0 Defending champ should have another big season.
Fresno State 9-5, 6-2 Return of receiver Bernard Berrian from knee injury could put Bulldogs back on top.
Nevada 5-7, 4-4 With deepest squad since joining WAC, Wolf Pack ready to challenge.
Louisiana Tech 4-8, 3-5 Bulldogs slipped after winning WAC in 2001; senior quarterback Luke McCown hopes to bring them back.
San Jose State 6-7, 4-4 Spartans face another long season with Aug. 23 start.
Southern Methodist 3-9, 3-5 Second-year coach Phil Bennett continues rebuilding process.
Rice 4-7, 3-5 Owls seek balance with better passing.
Texas-El Paso 2-10, 1-7 Miners must settle on quarterback and fill many holes.
Tulsa 1-11, 1-7 Steve Kragthorpe takes coaching reins.

*in projected order of finish

By Eddie Timanus, USA TODAY
50's PONY
Heisman

Re: USA Today

Postby Nacho » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:46 pm

The order of finish looks perfectly logical. Almost nothing happens in a completely logical way. Write down that order of finish. At the end of the season go back and check it. It won't look anything like that.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:11 pm

Nacho's right. This league has too much parity to predict with any accuracy.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:41 pm

That's why the WAC is such a fun conference. There are 4-5 teams (more in other years) that have a shot at the title each year. Parity is something many other conferences have a hard time establishing. I'm thankful we don't have to play in a conference that is dominated every year by a Marshall-esque team.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football