PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TECH Transfer - FOY MUNLIN ??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TECH Transfer - FOY MUNLIN ??

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:15 pm

Unless I heard wrong, and I heard the word 'FOY' or 'FOI', last Tuesday, Bennett mention that we had a transfer from Tech that we played against last year. I don't see him on our roster and couldn't find Tech's archive roster...

However, unbeknownst to me, Tech actually doesn't have their *** 2003 *** roster posted, so here is our transfer from the 2002 Roster at TECH:

Foy Munlin
#31 Texas Tech Red Raiders RB
Height: 5-10 Weight: 228
College: Dallas, TX (Kimball)
Class: Jr (2003 - he is a junior THIS year)

Here are his stats from LAST year:

<A HREF="http://sports.statsoverload.com/ptemp?league=NCAA%20Division%20I-A&cobrand=sports.redraiders.com&TID=36343&y=2002&TEAM_ID=624&ORDERBY=DATE&UPDOWN=A&PLAYER_ID=122141" TARGET=_blank>http://sports.statsoverload.com/ptemp?league=NCAA%20Division%20I-A&cobrand=sports.redraiders.com&TID=36343&y=2002&TEAM_ID=624&ORDERBY=DATE&UPDOWN=A&PLAYER_ID=122141</A>

He had 8 carries for 74 yards against SMU last year.

TOTALS:

RUSHING: 54 carries for 254, 4 TDs 4.7yds average

RECIEVING: 25 catches for 206, 0 TDs 8.2yds per attempts / 8.2yards per catch

SOME ONE PLEASE CONFIRM
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: TECH Transfer - FOY MUNLIN ??

Postby MustangFan » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:17 pm

Munlin is now on our roster, and I guess he's gotten a bit bigger. He's wearing #40, and is listed at 5-11, 236. They call him a junior(-transfer). The one thing I haven't been able to confirm is whether he has to sit out this year. I'm sure there were circumstances that led him to seek his release from Tech - closer to family (he's a Dallas Kimball grad), didn't like the RB role in Tech's pass-happy offense .... whatever. But I can't imagine Mike Leach giving him a release to play immediately for a team that's on Tech's 2003 schedule.

Anyone know whether he's eligible this year?
MustangFan
All-American

Postby The CPC » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:24 pm

Munlin did get a release from Tech, but he still has to sit out this year. Transfers between D-1A schools have to sit out a year, even if they are released. The only way he could have played immediately would be to drop down a division.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Roach » Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:32 pm

My understanding was that if he DIDN'T get a release, he has to sit out, per NCAA transfer rules, but that if his previous coach signed a release, he could play right away.

Wasn't that the way it worked when Jack Brewer left SMU? As long as he didn't go to a team SMU would play, Cavan signed off on letting him play immediately, right?

Maybe I'm mixed up here. But I thought that was the way it was explained to me somewhere along the line.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:59 pm

What roster is he listed on?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JustAFriend » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:47 pm

I'm pretty sure Jack sat out his first year at Minnesota, even though he had a release. This is from the Vikings website:

1998 Forced to sit out the season under NCAA rules as a transfer student.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Roach » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:51 pm

I stand corrected.
Thanks.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:56 pm

I know with the Baylor basketball players Baylor is requesting from the NCAA the right for the players to be able to play at the Division I level immediately. From what I have gathered, that is what they are going to get unless they want to transfer to a Big XII school.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Big Easy Pony » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:58 pm

Yeah, but I thought the Baylor situation was unique, that the university president is releasing players to play immediately because of all that's gone on there this summer.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:23 pm

I believe this is the rule: You have to sit out one year of eligibility. Now, if you've already red-shirted, well, then you lose a year.

In other words, if FOY played Fresh and Soph years, then transfered to SMU, he can count this year as a 'red-shirt' and still have two more years. IF he already red-shirted, then he has lost a year of eligibility.

When a school is placed on probation (i.e., Baylor), then you can transfer without sitting a year provided that you are released.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:02 pm

Foy never had a redshirt year so he will be able to sit out this year without penalty. So that means 2 years of eligibilty left for him to play at SMU. Not bad. He seems like a very talented back. He ran really well against us last year, thats for sure Image

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 08-17-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:15 am

Foy is a class act and an extremely hard worker. Tough runner/tough blocker. One thing he learned at Tech that will help us.... he now catches the ball with consistency. I'm glad he is a Mustang. He should have been from the get-go.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TCUPunter » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:07 am

I think its kinda funny and sad how two-faced Mike Leech is.....when Shaud Willimas wanted to transfer to TCU 2 years ago Leech said he wouldnt release him to any school in the state and he therefore went to Bama and Fran.

Not sure why he let Foy leave so easily, didnt he almost sign with ya'll out of HS?...anyways hope you guys kick the crap out of Leech and Tech and think that 22 point spread is way too high...even if they destroyed Clemson in the bowl game.
TCUPunter

Postby giacfsp » Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:05 pm

You're allright, T-punt.
We'll see what we can do to knock off the Techies for you.
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Football