PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Early Line-SMU 22 Point Underdog v. Tech

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Early Line-SMU 22 Point Underdog v. Tech

Postby Stallion » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:39 pm

Load up!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure The Line is going lower though when the Big Money from this board starts pouring in.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Early Line-SMU 22 Point Underdog v. Tech

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:46 pm

I'll take the points. A 43-21 type score could happen, but I don't see it for the opener. Put me down for $500.
SmooBoy

Postby RedRiverPony » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:53 pm

Me too. I'm not sitting here predicting an upset (hoping, but not predicting), but 22 points seems a little much.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:18 am

22 pts is an insult, but I can tell you where it comes from: SMU has not played well at all on the road in recent years. Decent teams we play well at home (ie NC State) have taken us to the woodshed on the road. Add to that the fact that NOBODY, not even the Ags or Teasips, plays well in Lubbock and thats a recipe for a 3 td+ line.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:42 am

it ain't an insult-the BS posted on this board about Texas Tech's football team is much more of an insult. Tech is a team with 9 offensive starters which averaged 49 points per game in Lubbock last year scored 42 points against NINE teams last year including EIGHT BCS schools-heck they scored over 40 against SIX Bowl teams. The lack of respect is from the people on this board not those with an objective analysis of Tech.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 08-18-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:03 am

Sorry Stallion, but any 22 point line is an insult if you are not playing an Oklahoma or a Ohio State. Tech is not that kind of program. Regardless,I'm glad, the line should serve as some motivation for SMU and possibly complacency for Tech. By the way, I already said I understood the line, but at least part of it is due to the inordinate home field advantage Tech seems to enjoy.
Hoop Fan

Postby Nacho » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:58 am

Leach is probably drunk with glee over the spread.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 08-19-2003).]
Nacho

Postby gostangs » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:00 am

The spread is not an insult - we have done nothing on the field to deserve any respect yet. We all think it is coming from what we see changing - but to the non SMU fan there is not much reason to think 22 is not the correct spread - and it may with us playing them at home - but it is not because Tech is thought of as great or even good by most people - watch what happens when they play anyone of note - the spread will swing hard the other way - they are tough at home, and they basically suck everywhere else (including Ford - they looked like crap last year with their "heisman" quarterback). They will finish middle of the Big 12 (again) - same ol thing.
gostangs

Postby No Cal Pony » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:09 pm

Yes Stallion, thanks for the insight. Yes, SMU hasn't exactly been the program we once were, but come on. I don't expect to win, but sure would like it. Is having a little hope all that bad? This might be called the "Sunshine" board, but don't you like the sun rather than it raining all the time?

Respect tick? I think most fans here generally regard tech well, but aren't we, as SMU fans, supposed to say things like we do? Maybe next you would suggest we repect ut and a$m too.

I look forward to the day when we do get back to beating tcu, baylor, utep, and the like with no problem.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby DiamondM » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:37 pm

This is precisely why I do not bet for or against my own team with real money. If you bet against the line and you lose, you lose your money and your team got hammered. Double whammy. Bet on Tech to cover, and you will take some small pleasure in Tech hammering us, which is perverse. I never root against my own team, no matter what. I don't want to be in a position where down 21 I'm rooting for a Tech garbage score so I can get my green.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Raider Red » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:28 pm

First of all, I never EVER bet on Tech football (either for or against). But if I had to put down $10 in Vegas, I would say take the Little Horsie Guys and the points. Why?

1. It's the first game of the year. Defense is usually ahead of offense.

2. We've got a new QB. Yes Symons is good; he's got a stronger arm and is more mobile than Kliff. But our timing based O will take a while to get on track, especially with a new QB. We'll have some three and outs in the first half, guaranteed.

3. I know your O will be better with Cunningham back, plus all your guys have a year with Phil.

4. If we do get up by a bunch, Leach will play it conservative. We don't want to show NC St. and Ole Miss any more than we have to.

Now, I'm not saying SMU will win by any means:

1. Last year we only scored 24 but we gained almost 500 yards.

2. Although our defense is learning a new scheme we cannot possibly be any worse than last year.

2a. And as bad as we were defensively last year you guys only scored 14 (21 if your QB sticks the football out in front of him instead of trying to score with his [deleted].)

My feeling is Tech 34, SMU 17 or something like that.
Raider Red

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:44 am

From the Houston Chronicle (see other thread on this site)

"Tech finished 86th in the country in total defense (403.5 yards allowed per game).
Going against the country's No. 1-ranked pass offense every day in practice had little effect, as the Red Raiders finished 90th in the country in passing yards allowed (239.6 yards per game).

Finishing last in the Big 12 Conference in the number of first downs given up and next-to-last in opponents' third-down conversion percentage, didn't help matters much, either.

But worst of all might have been coming in 89th in the country in scoring defense (31.4 points per game). And this is a team that shut out Baylor and held New Mexico to just 11 points."

Food for thought. GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby CourtJester » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:16 pm

Also not a betting man, I would take the Ponies since it is the FIRST game of the season. Our "red carpet" defence can't get any worse.

Tech 35
SMU 17
CourtJester

Postby PonyTales » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:48 pm

Jester, we'd appreciate it if you'd roll out that red-carpet defense in the opener. And if you can talk Symons into throwing left-handed, just to prove whether or not he can, that would help, too.
See you in Lubbock!
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Football