PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Brandon Bonds Knee Surgery

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Brandon Bonds Knee Surgery

Postby Ponymon » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:29 am

Today's DMN says that "Brandon will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday for torn cartilage in his right knee. Bennett expects Bonds to miss only one game. Junior receiver Jay Taylor also will miss the Aug. 30 opener at Texas Tech because of a sprained foot."
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Brandon Bonds Knee Surgery

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:27 am

I saw that. How can surgery for torn cartilage only result in one missed game? I remember when I was a kid seeing where one of the Cowboys had torn knee cartilage, and he missed half a season, or even the whole year.

OK, so technology has helped. Bonds needs to rebound - fast.

The question is, who starts next to Adami now? I bet Desmond Jones. I remember when they signed, Coach Bennett said at the alumni gathering that "we sure haven't had size like these two before" (or something like that) and he had a big grin on his face. With no disrespect to Denman, etc., I bet Jones starts at Tech.

[This message has been edited by Hoofprint (edited 08-21-2003).]
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby d_pony » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:51 am

Brent Karrington
d_pony
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:54 am

Wake up. It's 2003. People can come back form scopes in just a few weeks now. Ligament surgery is a different matter. ACLs can take over a year sometimes. Penicillin is a wonder drug. You heard it here first.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:56 am

i just don't see any way Bennett uses up a year of eligibility on BOTH Bonds and Jones. He will band-aid for a game until Bean and Bond are back.
gostangs

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nacho:
<B>Wake up. It's 2003. People can come back form scopes in just a few weeks now. Ligament surgery is a different matter. ACLs can take over a year sometimes. Penicillin is a wonder drug. You heard it here first. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, right - I realize that. Just commenting on how times have changed.
Hope Bonds is back to full speed -- soon.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:14 am

both Bonds and Jones will play-the cupboard is bare folks-there is no alternative because at DT you are required to use or at least develop depth for the fatique or inevitable injuries.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby No Quarter » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:55 am

Best wishes to Brandon Bonds for a good rehabilitation and minimal long term problems whether or not he plays this season.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby StangEsq » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:59 am

Yeah you can come back quickly after a scope. Ligament damage is a whole dfferent ballgame.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:47 pm

This is a real shame. Tech would have been a perfect game for him to have a big breakout. Leave them wondering "who the hell was that guy who collapsed our line all day?"

I guess Baylor will be the team that gets to experience that first.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoofprint:
<B> .... Coach Bennett said at the alumni gathering that "we sure haven't had size like these two before" (or something like that) and he had a big grin on his face.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did he forget about the great Lute Croy? He was a pretty big dude.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:39 pm

Yep, one big, bad dude. Croy was a 6-2, 292 as a 5th year senior. Came to SMU listed at 6-2, 290.

Both Jones and Bonds are that size. Not sure how they measure up strength-wise. Anybody know?

Interesting trivia: SMU landed the top rated recruiting class in the WAC in '98, including region #5 LB prospect Mosley (bust!), #15 LB David Ellen (who??), #14 DL Croy (yeah!!).

Also highly ranked in that class were Kevin Aldridge (awesome), Vic Viloria (stud), Jerry Evans (dunno??), Josh McCown and Steve O'Neil.

KG was also in that class.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Otto » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:28 pm

At one point Croy got as heavy as 320, I think, but he was much more effective between 290 and 300.

Don't dismiss David Ellen - he was a ferocious LB from this part of town (he played at Marcus HS in Flower Mound) and had it not been for a series of fairly major injuries, would have continued playing. I think one of the biggies was an injury to his neck or back, if I'm not mistaken.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Return to Football