PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aggie Tie at the Alamo

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Aggie Tie at the Alamo

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:18 pm

GoRedGoBlue reminded me in a thread below that the tie SMU earned with Texas A&M in San Antonio was the only blemish on their record that season. We don't have many good moments the past 15 years, but that SMU team deserves alot of credit and respect for the effort and fight they put up that day. And I can't resist mentioning the Albert Connell game the next year in College Station when the refs truly bailed the Ags out of a loss against a determined bunch of Mustangs.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Aggie Tie at the Alamo

Postby SmooBoy » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:25 pm

Yep, I was in Oklahoma that weekend and about fell off the couch when ABC ran that score on the bottom scroll. I couldn't wait to see the paper the next day, seeing as though the internet was in its infancy. I haven't had that much pleasure holding my head high around the water cooler on a Fall Monday morning since!

[This message has been edited by SmooBoy (edited 08-22-2003).]
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:32 pm

Preach it, Hoop Fan. Unbelievable effort in '94, to tie those Aggs. I seem to remember an absulutely brutal schedule that year. Seemed like every team we played was ranked.

Also a great effort against top-25 UNC that year, at home. There was an extremely controversial pass interference call, that killed us, in the waning minutes. A very bad call. In fact, one of the (ACC) officials got slugged in the face by an SMU fan on the way out of the stadium. But if anybody remembers feeling that call was an "ACC job," and that we got screwed by ACC officials, I want to say that the head referee of that game is a friend of mine from VA, and he's a class act, who would never do something like that. He's admitted to me that it might have been a bad call (one that he didn't make) but nobody was in a position to overrule it, and it certainly wasn't intentional, and I believe him. He also said, given the reception he and his colleagues received after the game, I think he said: "If I never work another game in Ownby, that'd be just fine." Image

Also, didn't we give UCLA a run for their money that year too?

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 08-22-2003).]

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 08-22-2003).]
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby M Street Stang » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:43 pm

Maybe Stallion can help me out with this, because the years are running together for me (lots of 3-8s do that to you). I went to Norman for the OU game and watched SMU play a good game against an average OU team. It was about 95 and humid that day and Scnellenberger was sweating Johnny Walker through his crimson jacket and matching tie. I also went to Pasadena to see SMU choke against UCLA...were these the same year? I think one was '94 and the other was '95.
M Street Stang
Scout Team

Postby KnuckleStang » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:47 pm

I'm not Stallion, but I think UCLA was '94, and OU was '95. Could be wrong.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:31 pm

1995, SMU had the game won in regulation when the Aggies, at about their 35-40 yard line on 4th down, were given a first down on a bogus pass interference penalty against Ken Neill - safety - across the middle when Ken CLEARLY punched the ball out of the receivers hand with no contact on his body. That would have ended the game...

But the refs didn't stop there...they allowed Albert Connell to leap, catch, and drag both of his legs IN BOUNDS, an amazing catch no doubt, but they disregarded the fact that his BODY landed first -- OUT OF BOUNDS.

I was there, I saw it, and the AGGIES next to me acknowledged it.

FROM THE AGGIE WEB SITE:

• Later in the ‘95 season, with the Aggies mired in a two-game losing streak and trailing SMU with less than a minute left in the game, Connell turned what would have been a horrifying loss into an electrifying win. Former quarterback Corey Pullig threw up a prayer into the corner of the end zone, and Connell leapt high over an SMU defender to make the game-saving grab.

[This message has been edited by GoRedGoBlue (edited 08-22-2003).]
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Return to Football