PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bartel is the Key

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bartel is the Key

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:26 pm

One week and counting.

Whether we go 2-10 or 6-6, we are finally headed in the right direction.

Coach Bennett has a plan and in 3 years we should be competing for the WAC title and a return to national prominence.

This plan can be accelerated by the play of Richard Bartel. If he can consistently move the football, if he can keep us competitive against clearly superior opponents such as TTech or OSU, if he can have a LA Tech-like game this year and upset a Fresno St, Boise St, or TCU at home, then watch out, the Pony Express has returned.

Here’s hoping Bartel can put up Mike Ford like numbers from 1978. I realize this is asking a lot of a sophomore quarterback who has only started 5 games, but he appears capable and it is the start of a new season.

Hope springs eternal.

I
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Bartel is the Key

Postby Bjuddtech » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:10 am

This may sound crazy coming from a Tech fan but I agree that Bennett will make SMU respectable again some day. From some of the posts on this board it sounds like you will have better kickers this year. Tech already knows that Keylon Kincade is a force and it will be interesting to see how well we can keep his numbers down with a lot of new defensive starters. Bartel seems to be primed for a big season. I still feel that Tech will win this game but I think the SMU offense is capable of putting up some big numbers. Anyway, Good luck and GO Tech.
Bjuddtech

Postby SMUguy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:32 pm

As Coach Bennett has said many times, Bartel is remarkably talented, but we have to remember that he's started less than a half dozen games. He's going to be really really good, but we have to allow for a learning curve.

Go Ponies!
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:30 am

No learning curve, he's ready. The offense is at his command, and he will surpass even Bennett's expectations...
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Grider » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustAFriend:
<B>No learning curve, he's ready. The offense is at his command, and he will surpass even Bennett's expectations...</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JAF, you've been telling us this since last summer. I gotta say, I beleive you! I'm pumped to see what Bartel can do with this offense when he has it for a full season.

Question for you: Bartel is obviously an awesome athelete, but how much do you think he benefited from not playing baseball this summer? This is the first season he's been all football. As good as he was at the end of last year, I've got to think he'll be even better now with no baseball distractions.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Return to Football