PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Being an SMU fan

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Being an SMU fan

Postby Arkpony » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:30 pm

The Bottom line is this: Tech is a mediocre state school in in God-Awful-Lubbock! WHo on earth would want to go there but a bunch of west Texas dullards! They can brag all they wanbt about beating us in football, but THEY ARE STILL TECH IN LUBBOCK for God's sake!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tech55_SMU0:
<B> Actually, Tech has spent more renovating Jones SBC Stadium than SMU's entire new stadium cost. If you want to read about it and see pictures, you can open today's Dallas Morning News (typically, there are no articles about SMU though).

And no, we don't have slush funds for players -- that's an SMU thing.

It's nice that SMU has excelled at the non-revenue sports, but you might try excelling at a revenue sport if you really want to maintain Division IA status. Never going to bowl games or NCAA basketball tournaments isn't going to get you very far, regardless of whether your womens swim team is good or not.

[This message has been edited by Tech55_SMU0 (edited 08-27-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kiss my red & blue butt. You're living in the past. While I respect TT (the school and its teams), it's negative posts from fans like you that make me proud to be a Mustang. See ya Saturday in Lubbock.

In the meantime, go over to the Baylor board and talk about their problems, which are a lot more 'current', since they're in the same conference with you guys.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 08-27-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby Nacho » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:37 pm

The only people who go to TT are the ones who couldn't get into UT or A&M. I don't know of anyone who actually dreamed of going to Tech. I guess that's why you TT guys are so defensive.
Nacho

Postby Tech55_SMU0 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nacho:
<B>The only people who go to TT are the ones who couldn't get into UT or A&M. I don't know of anyone who actually dreamed of going to Tech. I guess that's why you TT guys are so defensive.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tech has 5 times the number of applicants as SMU.

Apparently very few people want to go to SMU regardless of wherever else they apply.
Tech55_SMU0

Postby abezontar » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:15 pm

maybe the reason you get so many applicants is because all you need to know is your social security number
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:19 pm

Even a tt should be able to come up with something better then nubmer of applicants. Nobody ever claimed the lowest common denominator was not a huge group.
gostangs

Postby Tech55_SMU0 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abezontar:
<B>maybe the reason you get so many applicants is because all you need to know is your social security number</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe the reason is because people want to go to a real college campus in a college town instead of a private commuter school.
Tech55_SMU0

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:38 pm

Or maybe their other choices were junior colleges, so that even Lubbock looks good.

You might be interested in the undergraduate program rankings provided by a (third party) respected national publication - U.S.News and World Report - (its in the news section, down a couple from NASCAR NEWS)

Rice - 16
Vanderbilt - 19
UT -54
SMU - 73
Baylor - 78
TCU - 99

Tech is not on the list - nada - nothing -- zero - goose egg - not anywhere near top 100 in the nation. I rest my case.
gostangs

Postby Tech55_SMU0 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gostangs:
<B>Or maybe their other choices were junior colleges, so that even Lubbock looks good.

You might be interested in the undergraduate program rankings provided by a (third party) respected national publication - U.S.News and World Report - (its in the news section, down a couple from NASCAR NEWS)

Rice - 16
Vanderbilt - 19
UT -54
SMU - 73
Baylor - 78
TCU - 99

Tech is not on the list - nada - nothing -- zero - goose egg - not anywhere near top 100 in the nation. I rest my case. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And your point is? There are thousands of universities, so an awful lot of them aren't on that list.

That has nothing to do with the issues on this post which have been a) SMU's lack of athletic ethics or prowess, and b) SMU's lack of applicants.

If SMU is as wonderful as some of you seem to think then it's shocking why very few people choose to even apply there.

[This message has been edited by Tech55_SMU0 (edited 08-27-2003).]
Tech55_SMU0

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tech55_SMU0:
<B> So what? There are about 1000 universities, so an awful lot of them aren't on that list.

That has nothing to do with the issues on this post which have been a) SMU's lack of athletic ethics or prowess, and b) SMU's lack of applicants.

If SMU is as wonderful as some of you seem to think then it's shocking why very few people choose to apply there.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it refreshing to know that the a TT freshman has finally learned how to type and use a computer?

Hey, TT: who pissed in your corn flakes and got your Fruit of the Looms in such a wad?

Go over to the Baylor board and discuss their problems which are more 'current'.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:16 pm

Wrong again, average state school undereducated person. The criteria for rankings includes acceptance rates, applicant pools etc..

As an example, just because more people think about buying a Honda then a Mercedes, does not mean the Honda is a better automobile. If you are still having trouble grasping this concept, you could look into some of the adult education classes at SMU and maybe some of our educational prowess will rub off on you.

Your football team is perhaps better (for now), but you lose all credibility (if you had any to begin with) when you try to claim a Tech degree has more value or is more sought after then an SMU degree.
gostangs

Postby Tech55_SMU0 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B> Isn't it refreshing to know that the a TT freshman has finally learned how to type and use a computer?

Hey, TT: who pissed in your corn flakes and got your Fruit of the Looms in such a wad?

Go over to the Baylor board and discuss their problems which are more 'current'.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When the Baylor fans come to the Tech board like SMU and start trashing our football program then I'll go to their board.

The difference is that unlike SMU fans, the Baylor fans are smart enough not to trash a program that is unquestionably better than theirs.
Tech55_SMU0

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:32 pm

Plus, Tech people appreciate Baylor hanging around because it keeps them from being the worst program in the Big 12 South.
gostangs

Postby Tech55_SMU0 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gostangs:
<B>Wrong again, average state school undereducated person. The criteria for rankings includes acceptance rates, applicant pools etc..

As an example, just because more people think about buying a Honda then a Mercedes, does not mean the Honda is a better automobile. If you are still having trouble grasping this concept, you could look into some of the adult education classes at SMU and maybe some of our educational prowess will rub off on you.

Your football team is perhaps better (for now), but you lose all credibility (if you had any to begin with) when you try to claim a Tech degree has more value or is more sought after then an SMU degree. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure that SMU education is really that good? Afterall, you don't seem to be able to comprehend what you read.

I never claimed a Tech degree had more value than an SMU degree. I did state, however, that 5 times more prospective students apply to Tech than SMU.

Your analogy is understood, but comparing SMU to a Mercedes is ridiculous. While you may believe that SMU is on the same plane as a Rice, Harvard, or even UT, this is certainly not the case. I have two SMU graduates that report to me who are excellent employees, but they certainly aren't any more exceptional than graduates from other universities.

I think we can all agree that SMU is a fine school. But it certainly isn't all that exclusive (other than it's cost), nor is it viewed as being anywhere close to a Rice, Vanderbilt, or Harvard.
Tech55_SMU0

Postby Tech55_SMU0 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:48 pm

<B>Plus, Tech people appreciate Baylor hanging around because it keeps them from being the worst program in the Big 12 South. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Tech has never finished worse than 3rd in the Big 12 South.

While Baylor has their problems, at least they haven't been left behind by both the Big 12 and MWC.
Tech55_SMU0

PreviousNext

Return to Football