PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU ranked in US News

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU ranked in US News

Postby i10pony » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:15 pm

We are ranked (73), behind Rice (16),UT (53), and A$M(67)

Baylor (78) and TCU (99)
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Re: SMU ranked in US News

Postby Southland » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by i10pony:
<B>We are ranked (73), behind Rice (16),UT (53), and A$M(67)

Baylor (78) and TCU (99)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

USC is ranked 30; if you ever have a conversation with a USC grad, you will quickly realize how meaningless these rankings are... besides, American universities aren't ranked by the quality of education, but the difficulty of admission.
Southland
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:30 pm

Even so, is this not an improvement for us over the past rankngs regarding our undergrad ranking? I was surprised to see Baylor in there at all. I think we belong a little higher on the list, but was not too surprised with where we stood. Our problem is our applicant pool is not as large as many of these others - something a revived football team could help with - TCU would not be on the list without their recent football successes because their applicant pool has gone way up from where it was - the state school 10% thing helps them also.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StangEsq » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:37 pm

Behind A&M? OUCH.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Hal » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:44 pm

Behind UT?
Ouch.
Hal
Varsity

Postby TCU_backer1 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:50 pm

Remember this is grad school rankings...

Baylor is there because of its Law/Medical School, and Business programs.

I can't stand Baylor, but its true.

I am not surprised to see TCU at the end of the list... They have focused on undergrad, rather than grad. As they are now successful with that, I see them making the push in the Grad area.

This has nothing to do with undergrad enrollment, or football success or even the 10% rule... If you need more information, simply ready the release.
TCU_backer1
Recruit

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:08 pm

The SMU Business school has been ranked as high as 9th by the Wall Street Journal in their special section on business schools back in Jan of this year. There were no Texas schools ranked above us...Texas was at 11. Other business mags consistently have us in their Top 30...sometimes Top 20
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:49 pm

I think it was for undergrad programs - this same question came up on the TCU board and it was confirmed as undergrad.
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:01 pm

just went back to check - according to the TCU poster that put it up - it apparently is an undergraduate program ranking - the "doctoral granting" description is to seperate the national universities from the more regional liberal arts colleges - like Austin college -
gostangs

Postby No Cal Pony » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:13 pm

Southland. I am not sure why you decided to pick on USC. In many regards, usc does better than SMU. When you speak of their grads, then you never met any of my friends who went there and are now doctors, lawyers, VPs of big companies, etc. Not to defend usc, but come on, let's keep this to the schools we have rivalries with.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:05 pm

Well, so apparently TCU hasn't made enough progress after all, eh TCUbacker? Yeah, that's right, SMU is a better school.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby StangEsq » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:07 pm

If we're considering grad schools, that's even more reason to wonder why we're behind aTm. In addition to the business school mentioned above, the law school has the highest average starting salary forits grads of any school in Texas.

I guess football attendance and the degree to which your school mascot has a cult following played big factors.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:28 pm

Everyone relax.

The USNews & World Report on Undergraduate schools and programs is very subjective. The criteria can be debated at every level. The top 25 are universially agreed to be desireable for undergraduate and, by the way, few are athletic threats to BCS.

After 25, it is fun to discuss but hardly definitive. SMU is a great school and so is TCU. BTW, I would suggest Rice is a better school (based on what?), but so what.

I wish Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Navy, Army plus the Ivies dominated FB but they don't. No justice, but no one is looking for it.

Enjoy the season. Go Ponies, Building New Traditions!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:37 pm

For what its worth, the Princeton Review gives SMU an academic rating of 82.

This compares favorably against Rice 86, UT 83, A$M 81, USC 80, TCU 78 and Baylor 73.

The score covers undergraduate and I believe is a more comprehensive review than US News.
SoCal_Pony

Postby TCU_backer1 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:59 pm

<quote>Well, so apparently TCU hasn't made enough progress after all, eh TCUbacker? Yeah, that's right, SMU is a better school.</quote>

LOL... Your right man...

Fortunately my girlfriend, mom and grandmother are all SMU alum... Otherwise... there wouldn't be any hope for me! I did [deleted] them off when I chose TCU.

GO Ponies!
GO Frogs!

[This message has been edited by TCU_backer1 (edited 08-26-2003).]
TCU_backer1
Recruit

Return to Football