PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Getting ready for Tech

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Getting ready for Tech

Postby PonyTales » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:52 pm

Townsend Hargis will be back at practice this week, and will compete with Grant Eidson for the starting RG position.

Brandon Bonds has recovered quickly enough from his knee scope last week that he might even get to play against Tech, after originally being ruled out of the game.

Jamar Bey is now a DE, not OLB.

Bryan Turner is the first freshman OL who's likely to drop the redshirt and play this year.

Coach Bennett says he's thrilled with Richuel Massey, but would like to redshirt him. All year last year, Coach Bennett talked about what a shame it is that John Hampton lost a year when he played just a handful of snaps as a freshman, and that he doesn't want to do that to any of the new players.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Getting ready for Tech

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:39 pm

Moving Bey makes sense because he was third string LB, and it lets the frosh OLB be the third string LBs (basically, redshirted unless necessary).

Hargis is the starter when healthy though, correct?

Is Turner pushing Keishnick for a starting spot? Or is he just a solid second string Guard?

Massey looked quick and strong from what I saw. I am glad they are redshirting him though, because we are strong at RB, and I would hate to waste the year!
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:48 pm

are we really that deep at rb? After Kincaid and Fitzgerald, I don't even have any idea who the third guy would be. I realize you could pull the redshirt off of Massey if you had to, but if the guy is the stud he appears to be he could help us now. I dont favor mortgaging the future, but with conference realignment we need to get some quality wins sooner than later. And the guy wants to play, redshirting him won't help us with his brother either who also wants to play right away.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUguy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JasonB:
<B>Moving Bey makes sense because he was third string LB, and it lets the frosh OLB be the third string LBs (basically, redshirted unless necessary).

Hargis is the starter when healthy though, correct?

Is Turner pushing Keishnick for a starting spot? Or is he just a solid second string Guard?

Massey looked quick and strong from what I saw. I am glad they are redshirting him though, because we are strong at RB, and I would hate to waste the year!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plus, if Bey's a legitimate 6-5, he could fill out to be a tall AND QUICK defensive end.

Yes, Hargis is the starter when healthy.

I don't think Turner's going to take the job from Kieschnick. But he should work into the rotation and give Kieschnick a breather.

You're right - Massey is amazingly talented. And if Kincade and Fitzgerald can carry the load, there's no reason to waste a superb talent like Massey. Get him even stronger and more familiar with the offense, and then he and Fitz can be a potent 1-2 punch next year.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Grider » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>are we really that deep at rb? After Kincaid and Fitzgerald, I don't even have any idea who the third guy would be. I realize you could pull the redshirt off of Massey if you had to, but if the guy is the stud he appears to be he could help us now. I dont favor mortgaging the future, but with conference realignment we need to get some quality wins sooner than later. And the guy wants to play, redshirting him won't help us with his brother either who also wants to play right away.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Valid point, but you could turn that question around:

If KK is consistently rushing for 100+ yards a game, How much more could Massey help us?

I'm as pumped about Massey's potential as anyone, but I like the idea of redshirting Richuel and having him around for a few more years. For now, KK has proven himself as a more than capable running back. I would even say that, possibly, he's the best post DP RB SMU has had (IMO). He's also a senior and deserves some respect and loyalty for that. From the reports on Fitz, he could be just as good.

Like you said, we can always lift the redshirt if we really get in a pinch down the stretch. It's a good problem to have, and unless we go undefeated this year, whatever descision that is made will be second guessed some fans.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby SMUguy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:41 pm

Apparently Ruben Moodley is banged up (ankle, I think).

With that in mind, this week's two-deep chart shows Jonas Rutledge starting at one CB spot (backed up by Anthony Barnett) and Rolando Humphrey starting at the other CB spot, backed up by Ervin McGee.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Football