PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Robert Gilmore

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Robert Gilmore

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:55 pm

I know he was heavily recruited before his knee injury in HS and then RS last season. How does he look now? Has he recovered from his injury? It says on his bio that he will be a back up this season at corner and play special teams.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Robert Gilmore

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:04 am

Bennett said that Robert is still not 100% but is showing marked improvement... "He is going to be a good player for us"
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: Robert Gilmore

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:08 pm

Article in DMNews on Gilmore...

Season a matter of trust for Trinity-ex
Robert Gilmore looks to build confidence in self, knee after injury

07:22 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 26, 2003

By KEVIN LONNQUIST / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – Robert Gilmore has nothing more than trust to help him through his college football career.

He must trust that the reconstructive surgery doctors performed on his right knee two years ago was effective. He must trust that the rehabilitation work he did will make him the menacing defensive back he was at Trinity. He must trust that the SMU coaches eventually will reward his effort.

Lucky for Gilmore, he can build on this trust for the next four years. Gilmore enters his redshirt freshman season with no expectations, except that he will resurrect his career.

Northeast Tarrant

For more sports stories from Northeast Tarrant, check out the bureau archive

A freak injury from a backpedaling drill at Oklahoma's camp in the summer of 2001 caused extensive damage. Gilmore said he tore the right posterior cruciate, anterior cruciate, medial collateral ligaments and cartilage, and damaged the patella tendon. Gilmore missed his senior season at Trinity.

"I thought it was just an ACL and the surgery was going to be about 11/2 hours, but I was in there for 81/2 hours," Gilmore said. "I was scared. I didn't know what to think about my future."

Gilmore had given an oral commitment to SMU, which was coached by Mike Cavan. But Cavan was fired with two games left in the 2001 season and eventually replaced by then-Kansas State defensive coordinator Phil Bennett.

Even though he knew Gilmore probably would redshirt in 2002, Bennett honored Gilmore's scholarship offer, as he did with Cavan's other recruits.

"I wanted to be fair to every commitment Mike had," Bennett said. "But for Robert, he's a class act, and I know he can help us. ...The important thing is that he cannot get frustrated."

Gilmore basically needed two years to rehabilitate the knee. Range of motion exercises were followed by weight-room work.

But before he could run, Gilmore had to learn how to walk. And even that wasn't easy. Gilmore walked with a limp for some time.

Now, Gilmore said, the leg doesn't have structural problems, although the surgical scars left an impression. As devoted as Gilmore was to return, he needs to find out where he fits best on this roster.

Bennett said the defensive coaches are deciding whether to play Gilmore at cornerback or safety. His 4.4-second speed has slowed to 4.6.

Gilmore probably is not going to be an impact player in the SMU secondary. Bennett said Gilmore will serve either as the fifth or sixth cornerback or the fourth or fifth safety. Gilmore is going to have to work his way back by contributing on special teams.

There are plenty of defensive backs in the program. SMU signed three defensive backs last February to go along with the eight who could play this fall.

"I have to get on the field and be consistent," Gilmore said. "It's ongoing. I won't know I'm well until I know it. I just have to take the right mind-set."
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Return to Football