PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chris Phillips

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chris Phillips

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:23 pm

Nothing against Wallis, cuz I think the kid is an absolute gamer on the field, but it doesn't take long to figure out that Phillips would give SMU the best chance to win right now if Bartel was hurt. Thats how obvious I think this kids talent is. If Bartel were to somehow sprain his knee at Tech, I'm telling you it would be a no brainer to get Phillips ready for Baylor. All I am saying is its gonna take a few more quality wins by Bartel before Phillips should get put on the bench for the next 3 seasons.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grider » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:38 pm

Yeah that's pretty much what I was saying about Tate being the second string even if Phillips is better. If there was an injury situation, then you pull Phillips' redshirt and give him a chance to start. Keep Wallis as the competent 2nd stringer.

As for the next years, I don't know. Like you said, it's a good problem to have, but I don't think it will be one this year.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:57 pm

HF, you may be right on with the comparison of Phillips to Roberson and Bishop as Bill Snyder had offered Phillips to be the next in line at QB for K-State. I would say that is a pretty good indicator.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Dr. Redeye » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:41 am

I'm glad that Chris Phillips looks great to all of you and I'm not taking anything away from him, but let's remember that TAPPS football in the state of Texas is equivalent to 2A public high school football in Texas. He is a good athlete, but let him prove himself on the college level. He hasn't played against anybody and throwing a 40 yard pass during a controlled scrimmage is not an unbelievable or daunting task, especially since the receiver made a great adjustment to the ball and caught it one handed. I know alot of people who can throw perfect spirals, but not many of them can play college football.
Dr. Redeye

Postby StangEsq » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Redeye:
<B>I'm glad that Chris Phillips looks great to all of you and I'm not taking anything away from him, but let's remember that TAPPS football in the state of Texas is equivalent to 2A public high school football in Texas. He is a good athlete, but let him prove himself on the college level. He hasn't played against anybody and throwing a 40 yard pass during a controlled scrimmage is not an unbelievable or daunting task, especially since the receiver made a great adjustment to the ball and caught it one handed. I know alot of people who can throw perfect spirals, but not many of them can play college football.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how many of those are 6'3", 230 and run a 40 in the mid 4s?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:31 am

I didn't realize KState actually went after Phillips. I knew Arkansas wanted him. Its easy to see that the kid is a big time prospect.
Hoop Fan

Postby cowboypony » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:42 am

Unless Phillips is going to be the starter, it would be a huge mistake to not redshirt him.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:31 pm

There once was a 2A runningback named Dickerson. (I can feel Stallion cringing)
gostangs

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:23 pm

BL, St. Marks, and BDunne have been putting guys in Div 1-A regularly lately...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:48 pm

I hope Phillips can play. There seems to be a lot of positive note about him. As to his playing at a smaller school, that shouldn't have any bearing. We need to look at kids at all levels. The ability to play will show no matter. Look at fresno's Pinegar. He came from one of the less know schools in the Sac, CA area. Kid could play and look at him now. Same goes for a bunch of the kids on their roster. We should be so lucky to have them pan out as they do at fresno. Mostly, kids in CA want to play at a usc, ucla, stanford, or cal. Now fresno is getting some little gems. Lets look forward to our little gems!

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:06 pm

a few years ago both our Offensive MVP(Rodnick Phillips) and Defensive MVP (Jacoby Rhinehart) were from private schools.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:22 pm

Here in the DC area, the best inner city players are snapped up by some of the private schools so that they have a chance at college (and so the private schools can win). They have produced some great players over the years. Also in Virginia a number of the Military Schools take post-grads for a year to get their academics up. Those kids are also great players who in a year of military school actually get their act together. I've never figured out who pays their $15,000-20,000 tuition at those schools.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Previous

Return to Football